New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Okay lang yan...

Mga APEC na yan mukha namang mga WAITER!
    iam3739.com

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    dapat ay wag tayong maging balat sibuyas...

gaya ng definition ng filipina sa greek ay domestic helper/maid...

gaya ng mga manunulat gaya ni malu fernandez...

yang mga yan ay pinapabayaan na lang at inde dapat pinag aaksayahan ng panahon....

para inde OT: baka naman pleasant at nawaglit ang "L"...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Well, what can we do? These guys think they are superior than us and its so easy for them to brand and belittle our national symbol like the barong.

Ive heard in the news the speech of Australia about agriculture and industry. Like the way they describe our barong tagalog, our agricultural products are also denied entry by Australia...infested daw. And thats how our APEC partners see our "importance'" in the groupings....

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I am so sorry for them............. Ignorance is not a crime. It just show what they(WE) really are!
    Peasant shirt or not. Maganda pa rin suotin ang Barong tagalog! Kesa iba dyan wala national costume. Muntik na napa suot sa mga APEC leader ang swim wear.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    isang tanong; ang barong tagalog ba ay sinusuot nun araw sa Mindanao saka visayas saka Ilocos.

from wikipedia:

his Filipino tradition dates back to the Spanish Colonial era. The most common theory about its origins is that the Spaniards made Filipinos wear barongs untucked to distinguish them from the ruling class. Also, barongs were usually made of thin fabric--almost transparent or transluscent--and with no pockets, so that the Spaniards could see that the wearer was not bearing any weapon under the garment.
    However this theory has been questioned by other scholars and historians. They note the absence of a citation to the specific law where the Spaniards supposedly prohibited the natives from tucking their shirts. Secondly, they note that natives during the Spanish Era did wear their shirts tucked at times. A common example cited in support of this argument is Jose Rizal and his contemporaries, who were photographed in Western clothing with their shirts tucked - although the era of the barong predated Rizal's time. Thirdly, the Philippines is a tropical country and it is common for shirts worn untucked because of the hot climate. Finally, the barong is thought to be either the local adaptation or the precursor to the guayabera, a shirt popular in the Latin American communities[1]. According to those who claim that the barong is the precursor of the guayabera, the guayabera shirt was originally called "Filipina" during the era of Manila Galleon tradeships when it was brought to Mexico from the Philippines. [2]

kung di ka naka-tuck-in jologs ka pala noon araw. kaya pala sa gradeschool laki kami pinipingot ng titser pag di tuck-in uniform. sa mga bata puwede mo i-argue ito, bakit barong tagalog tuck out pero formal

====

regarding as peasant shirt, well imagine-in na lang natin kung ano pa yun gawa sa pinya yun ang mahal

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    Historicaly, the barong tagalog was indeed a form of a, well, paesant shirt. During the Spanish colonial times, the Spaniards the wanted the native men to wear the barong so that they (the natives) would be "distiushable" as locals, not Spaniards. For a bit more of the history of the baro (as what the barong tagalog was called during the pre-spanis times, go here. As you would see on the link, the baro or barong was indeed worn by peasants during that era.

I do agree, however, that the barong of today is far from being a peasant wear: it is a simble of our nation that we (the Pinoy menfolk) proudly wear...well, maybe not all of us out there (May mga cynics sigurado dyan, he he he...)
    Yep. Historically, barongs were indeed used by commoners.

Ganun talaga, the status of something can change over time. Land Rover Defenders were initially used as farm implements and military vehicles. But I highly doubt that any of the brand-new Php3M Defenders that Land Rover sells to it's Filipino clients today ever get turned into a John Deere or is sent to Basilan.

Even those expensive meals at hotel restaurants with the suffix "-ala Pobre" were once commoner's meals.

I don't really think there should be much fuss about that barong issue.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Yep. Historically, barongs were indeed used by commoners.

Ganun talaga, the status of something can change over time. Land Rover Defenders were initially used as farm implements and military vehicles. But I highly doubt that any of the brand-new Php3M Defenders that Land Rover sells to it's Filipino clients today ever get turned into a John Deere or is sent to Basilan.

Even those expensive meals at hotel restaurants with the suffix "-ala Pobre" were once commoner's meals.

I don't really think there should be much fuss about that barong issue.
    Yep, I agree. I just wanted so share links to inform our friends out there that the barong or baro started out as a commoners outfit - and that there's no need to over-react, which some of us out there might do.

Frankly, I'm not a least bit worried about what foreigners say. I've been around and I've had my share of being slurred and most of the time, I just smile at them and shake my head.

There are a lot of more important issues out there that we as individuals and as a nation should give attention to than fuss and rant about some news article about a barong being "mislabeled".

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    konting :offtopic:

:ooops:

kung di ka naka-tuck-in jologs ka pala noon araw. kaya pala sa gradeschool laki kami pinipingot ng titser pag di tuck-in uniform. sa mga bata puwede mo i-argue ito, bakit barong tagalog tuck out pero formal

*OB, common mistake natin is yun tuck-in, tuck out dapat un-tuck....dahil tuck nga eh paloob paano mo ma-tuck palabas......hehehehe

somebody also pointed that out to me years ago....hehehehe
    Last edited by shadow; September 11th, 2007 at 09:07 AM.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    OA nanaman ang reaction ng mga nasa govt, naalala ko dati nagpatawa si Jay Leno tungkol sa contingency natin sa Iraq. Todo diplomatic protest ang ginawa. Natawa ko pati si Jay Leno pinatulan.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung mga ibang tao dito OA din :devil: :hihihi:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
APEC Tags Barong Tagalog as "Peasant Shirt"