New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://www.stereogum.com/archives/000981.html
    http://www.angrycountry.com/stories/294.html

NEW YORK - If Ashlee Simpson’s stomach was upset Saturday night, imagine how she’s feeling now.

advertisement
    The 19-year-old singer was busted for a “Saturday Night Live” lip-synch gone awry, with her manager-father saying Monday that his daughter used the extra help because acid reflux disease had made her voice hoarse.

“Just like any artist in America, she has a backing track that she pushes so you don’t have to hear her croak through a song on national television,” Joe Simpson told Ryan Seacrest on Los Angeles radio station KIIS-FM. “No one wants to hear that.”

He said she’s never used the extra help before.

Ashlee Simpson appeared on NBC’s “Radio Music Awards” Monday night. Before she sang a song from her hit album, host Carson Daly reassured the audience they were getting a live performance.

“Live, yes, live,” he said.

Earlier, in an interview on MTV’s “Total Request Live,” Simpson said that “the whole situation was a bummer.”

Simpson had performed her hit single “Pieces of Me” without incident earlier on “SNL.” When she came back a second time, her band started playing and the first lines of her singing “Pieces of Me” could be heard again.

She was holding her microphone at her waist at the time. Simpson looked momentarily confused as the band plowed ahead with the song and the vocal was quickly silenced.

A flustered Simpson made some exaggerated hopping dance moves, then walked off the stage.

LIVE VOTE

Did Ashlee Simpson's lip-synch surprise you?

She told “TRL” that she and her band didn’t know what to do. “I think all of us went into a state of shock,” she said.

Simpson poked fun at herself during Monday’s awards show. When her band started playing, she screamed, “It’s the wrong song!”

Seconds later, she told the crowd: “Only kidding.”

Saturday’s incident exposed what many consider an obvious secret: that some singers who appear onstage aren’t singing live at all, or at least have their voices augmented by backing tracks. And it’s happened before on “Saturday Night Live,” too, executive producer Lorne Michaels told the Associated Press.

“She was mortified and in her dressing room, but (producer) Marci (Klein) got her to come out for goodnights and explained that it wasn’t the end of the world. It wasn’t her fault,” Michaels told AP Radio.

“Every artist that I know in this business has had vocal problems at some time — from Celine on down,” said Joe Simpson, also father of Jessica Simpson. “So you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do.”

He said it was his decision to use the tapes when it became apparent that acid reflux disease had swollen Ashlee’s vocal cords. After consulting Wayne Newton’s doctor, she received a cortisone shot to get her ready for the “Radio Music Awards,” he said.

It was the band’s drummer who pushed the wrong button onstage, he said.

Said Michaels: “If she were a more seasoned performer then I think that she would’ve taken charge and said, ‘No, let’s start this over again.”’

To add to Ashlee’s indignity Monday, eBay.com was auctioning off her private cell phone number, which it said had been inadvertently, and briefly, posted on her Web site.

The Video Incident

She stinks anyway...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ashlee Simpson paying lip service to fans
    (Agencies)
    Updated: 2004-10-26 09:06

It was the most eye-opening moment in entertainment phoniness since we learned that Milli Vanilli didn't really sing their songs. Or since we discovered that Britney Spears isn't really a blonde. Or since it was revealed that Jenny From the Block really doesn't want anything to do with the old hood.

Ashlee Simpson [AP/file]
    When Ashlee Simpson wasn't in sync with the song she was lip-synching on "Saturday Night Live," the public had a Wizard-of-Oz-like-moment, a glimpse behind the curtain of faux entertainers.

The way our gal Ashlee handled it all was rather graceless. There was the bizarre Axl Rose-like jig, the walking off stage, and, of course, the unforgivable: lying about it and blaming her band.

We'd pay good money to hear Elton John rant on about this one. Fans rallied to Ashlee's defense. Well, not exactly.

"I am throwing out your CD and deleting you from my computer," ex-fan Carly wrote on the "Community Board" of Simpson's Web site. "Do you think we are stupid? . . . I never felt this strongly about something and I am not the only one. Ashley you are a fake and you lost fans because you lied and cheated them."

"How lame that you blamed your band WHEN THEY SAVED YOU’RE A--?" wrote "verythingintime.""eople think you [stink] for lying not because of the 'lip syncing' thing."

"Ash u've disappointed me," wrote "Kwewest" "i personally think u should be dropped. . . . I know many of these artists like britney do the same thing and get away with it but u have to take the fall like Martha Stewart."

More on Simpson

Acid reflux at root of Simpson's gaffe?

Walls: Simpson just paying lip service to reality

Video: Simpson's 'SNL' faux pas

Why do we care? Is it because she had the No.1 song in the country? Is it because she is the marginally kid sister of another star who has rocketed on fame on a mediocre voice and reality show phoniness? Is it because the entertainment world has become so manufactured, so packed with pre-fab stars that it was gratifying to watch one of them get busted? Or is it because we have discovered something that we actually knew all along? It was as if we had all seen Star Jones's wig fall off or one of Victoria Beckham's fake breasts deflate: the deeply satisfying sensation of having our suspicions confirmed.

As with so many celeb foibles, there are lessons to be learned for us ordinary citizens.

1. Don't fake it.

2. Don't lie to cover up a mistake.

3. If you make a fool of yourself in public, don't compound the problem by doing a jig.

But let's not confuse this whole episode with the Milli Vanilli scandal. At least those two guys could dance.

Hahahha

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    matanda na talaga ako. i don't even know who they are talking about.

kapatid ba yan ni Bart?

andy

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    milli vanilli all over again

napanood ko yan sa TODAY on NBC kaninang umaga.

5. FrankDrebin Guest
    Normal lang sa Pinas yan. Lalo na sa mga variety show. Kaya nga I rather watch the artists I like in a small venue.

BTW, akala ko ba live yung Saturday Night Live?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    FD: yun nga yung point, it's SUPPOSED to be live, parang TRL, SNL, etc dapat live... kaya buking sya hehe...

Ladytruck: Kapatid sya ni Jessica Simpson...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Bwahaha! Napanuod ko yung video kahapon while passing time. I never thought it would be such a big news since it happened in SNL show.

Baka isipin ng manunuod na prank joke on Ashley. :D

8. FrankDrebin Guest
    Goodbye career! Lupit pa naman ng mga Kano sa mga ganyan. Walang patawad.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    the veed talaga, gusto ako gawing "lady"

andy

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ANDY: SORRY PO!!! hehehehe...

Ang sagwa pa nung ginawa nyang "sayaw" hehe...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
AHAHAA... Another Expose!!!