New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Hi to all Benz guru. I,m new in this forum and this car so please forgive my ignorance. Hope you can help me on this. Im planning to buy a 2nd hand benz. I dont know anything about this car in terms of its technical specs and model variant except for the things i've read in other threads. This would be my first benz if ever and plan to use it as a weekend car because i already have a daily car for work.

Actually what im looking for is the latest year model of a 124 body , automatic, gasoline engine its ok if 4 or 6 cylinder. I dont know anything of its model variant thats why im asking you guys what model can you recommend for the latest model of 124 body within a 300k to 400k budget and 500k budget

Im not in a hurry to buy one but definitely before the end of this year. Im giving myself time to learn more about this new interest of mine. Im already decided for a 124 body, i just dont know which model variant that fits within that budget.

Thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ71 View Post
    Hi to all Benz guru. I,m new in this forum and this car so please forgive my ignorance. Hope you can help me on this. Im planning to buy a 2nd hand benz. I dont know anything about this car in terms of its technical specs and model variant except for the things i've read in other threads. This would be my first benz if ever and plan to use it as a weekend car because i already have a daily car for work.

Actually what im looking for is the latest year model of a 124 body , automatic, gasoline engine its ok if 4 or 6 cylinder. I dont know anything of its model variant thats why im asking you guys what model can you recommend for the latest model of 124 body within a 300k to 400k budget and 500k budget

Im not in a hurry to buy one but definitely before the end of this year. Im giving myself time to learn more about this new interest of mine. Im already decided for a 124 body, i just dont know which model variant that fits within that budget.

Thanks in advance
    Based on your criteria, I would suggest that you look for a 94-95 E220 as these are the most common models of the last of the w124 series, I'd say budget around 350k-450k and you should find a nice example. Better yet if you can find an E220 that came from CMC (Commercial Motors) which was the local Mercedes Benz distributor at that time so that it would be easier to check the cars provenance and also eliminate the hassle of checking the tax payment which is a requirement for cars privately imported or one that came from the gray market.

Goodluck on your Benz hunting!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you should start looking around so that you will learn about that car. don't buy the first one that you see. be patient and you will find your car.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Given a "purchasing budget" of 300-400k, I would suggest you set your "acquisition budget" to 250-350k. The 50k difference from your "purchasing" and "acquisition" budgets would be for "maintenance" budget.

There are still some 124 units that is well maintained and would (honestly) require immediate repairs BUT these are likely older 124 models (pre-90s). Such condition post/mid 90s 124s are likely above the 400k mark.

But as Ron has posted, you have a good chance of getting a nice 124 with your budget. And like bulldog mentioned, be patient and don't be impulsive in the purchase. It's your 1st MB and i'm sure you (with us) would like your MB experience to pleasant... not traumatic.

.... I should know.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    Given a "purchasing budget" of 300-400k, I would suggest you set your "acquisition budget" to 250-350k. The 50k difference from your "purchasing" and "acquisition" budgets would be for "maintenance" budget.

There are still some 124 units that is well maintained and would (honestly) require immediate repairs BUT these are likely older 124 models (pre-90s). Such condition post/mid 90s 124s are likely above the 400k mark.

But as Ron has posted, you have a good chance of getting a nice 124 with your budget. And like bulldog mentioned, be patient and don't be impulsive in the purchase. It's your 1st MB and i'm sure you (with us) would like your MB experience to pleasant... not traumatic.

.... I should know.

AMEN to that Bob...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    thanks to all of you guys. actually after searching and looking the different models of MB im now looking for a 190e it looks smaller and sporty and its only around 250k to 300k. what is the difference between the US and Euro version of this model?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    thanks to all of you guys. actually after searching and looking the different models of MB im now looking for a 190e it looks smaller and sporty and its only around 250k to 300k. what is the difference between the US and Euro version of this model?
    Ah, the so called "BABY BENZ" (W201). Quite a number really. Top of mind spec differences usually are:

1) Headlights
    2) Tailights
    3) A/C Control (knob type euro and push-button type USV)
    4) Power features (usually only power steering, sideview mirrors and windows for euro; USV would sometimes have power seats)
    5) Sunroof (standard for USV; optional for euro)

If you're after engine power (higher HP for the same engine displacement), euro is always the way to go. If it's the power features/options, USV would be my best bet.

Most available in the market are the 190e 2.0 and 2.3L variants. But what is really nice to have would be the 190e 2.6L or the 2.3-16v and 2.5-16v speedsters.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    hi benzimer.. thanks. Im willing to wait and find the right 190e for me. Actually im more of the horsepower of the car, secondary na lang yun features. like what you said Euro version is better in terms of power,right?

Is it hard to find this 190e 16valve? How much do you think the fair market price of this model?

salamat po.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Is it hard to find this 190e 16valve? How much do you think the fair market price of this model?
    Depending on the unit's condition, a 2.3-16v (M/T) should be around 350-450k.... a 2.5-16v (A/T) be a little more, maybe 450-550k.

Just to chare, here is a photo of the club's recent meet showing 3 exotic 201s: (from left to right) a 190e 2.3-16v; a 190e 2.5-16v and an uber rare 190e 3.2 AMG!

Last edited by Benzmizer; August 26th, 2009 at 11:32 AM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    hi benzimer.. thanks. Im willing to wait and find the right 190e for me. Actually im more of the horsepower of the car, secondary na lang yun features. like what you said Euro version is better in terms of power,right?
    This just gave me an idea. I know of a W124 (not a W201, sorry but you got the SPACE!) that is reasonably priced and I can vouch that you would not have any problems with it. The unit is FRESH. Classic example of a RIDE and DRIVE car! Previous owner spent spent 6 digits fixing it.... everything critical is virtually brand new.... from underchassis, headlamps, etc. And you mentioned about being particular about power.... no worries on this.... It's a 300e 6 cylinder!!!

PM me if interested so I could hook you up with the owner/my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Newbie here: buying benz 124 body