New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Am planning to buy an MB190 baby benz but am not really that familiar with the maintenance & upkeep cost. All I know is what I was able to gather on the net...your comments please:

1. based on my research over the net it seems better to get a diesel variant, it's a bit more expensive but the fuel economy, engine durability and maintenance cost might be cheaper in the long run...

2. am hoping to get a 2.5 turbo model but I don't see any sellers, all i can find are 2.2 variants. Research shows that the 2.5 turbo variant's engine is really durable and can even run on veg oil! is the 2.2 as dependable as the 2.5 and can it also run on veg oil?

3. the 2.0 version is rated as "really slow" by owners, I hope the 2.2 version wouldn't ride the same way...sana maka 0-100kph under 12-sec naman. is it possible to install a turbo on the 2.2? any recommended shop in the QC area?

4. maintenance cost...parts susceptible to wear and tear such as bushings, CV & ball joints, tie rods and brake pads - how expensive are these and am thinking since MB naman then it should have better quality than japanese car parts? am willing to spend, as long as it lasts. My worry is that mahal na nga madali pa masira. I don't want to buy a car that is hard and costly to maintain.

thanks in advance to all who would share their knowledge.
    I hope to return the favor someday.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I don't have a W201 at the moment ... but here's my take on your questions.

It depends on the condition of your prospective car. In an MB mileage is irrelevant ... its the CONDITION that counts.

Was the previous owner meticulous, caring, buys orig spareparts, goes to the "right" repair shops? Check maintenance records, service receipts, if these are available.

The diesels are adequately powered, don't expect them to be fast paced though. They shine more on their ability as fuel misers, robustness, and build quality, but given the right encouragement, they can also attain decent velocities.

The W201 2.5 Turbo is a rare gem, chances of you finding one are nil, reason for which is that most 201's here are gas powered, and none of the present W201 2.5D Turbo owners wanna sell (I know one such owner personally) and because "ma-uunahan na kita" ....

Given the right conversion, all MB diesels can run on veggie oil. I once experimented on my W123-200D, and it smelled like french fries for about a week ...

Turbo conversion is a whole new ball-game. It should start with you re-enforcing the engine internals .. (pistons, con-rods, piston pins etc.) before you subject it to the forces of turbo-charging. And it should be costly too.

You'll be surprised that some MB spares cost a bit cheaper that the equivalent Jap sparepart. The idea here is that when a part fails, its best to replace it right away with the same exact part rather than wait for the whole assembly to fail ... (that's where it hurts your pocket the most)

Lastly, "nothing is more expensive than a cheap Benz" If it's being sold for peanuts, expect a huge repair bill when you get to own it. So take your time, see as many cars as you like, and choose carefully.

Goodluck on your first MB.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    *stimpy569,
    you are talking to the right guys.
    The very same guru(s) who helped me decide on my first Benz!
    Good luck on the search!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    stimpy569

Yes you are talking to the right guys!!! Because of them I have to find my dream MB!!!

lowslowbenz and I know that guy who owns that particular W201 2.5L Turbodiesel. When the time comes for him to sell that unit (whenever that will be) it will be a race on whoever will see the advert or get contacted first!!!!

Good luck on your search!!!!!

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    lowslowbenz and I know that guy who owns that particular W201 2.5L Turbodiesel. When the time comes for him to sell that unit (whenever that will be) it will be a race on whoever will see the advert or get contacted first!!!
    OT: Asa pa tayo! Si El presidente na nga lumapit but "Superman" modestly declined the offer.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I'll plant some ideas into your mind. Get a 250D W124 and transplant the engine into a 190E with a bad engine. Find the correct 5-speed and proper length drive shaft, correct differential and pedal box.

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but the bigger brother of the OM602 2.5L turbo diesel engine is the 3.0L OM603, which is even more powerful. That might be a nicer project than a 2.5L, if the engine will fit.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    I'll plant some ideas into your mind. Get a 250D W124 and transplant the engine into a 190E with a bad engine. Find the correct 5-speed and proper length drive shaft, correct differential and pedal box.

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but the bigger brother of the OM602 2.5L turbo diesel engine is the 3.0L OM603, which is even more powerful. That might be a nicer project than a 2.5L, if the engine will fit.
    Naalala ko tuloy yung nabasa ko sa Mercedes Enthusiast a few issues back wherein this one guy converted one of his 190E to run on an MB 2.9L 5 cylinder diesel that came from a Ssangyong (MB100) then mated it to a 4 speed A/T tranny from a 300D w124.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *ron.. so how did that car fare??.. tumatakbo pa ba?? matched ba ang power??...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Guys .... MB100 engine = "clone" OM617 di ba? Or not?

on a W201 ... that's kinda "front-end heavy" ... Im sure nagpalit ng springs din siguro!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Cis,
    Sa misis ka ni ...... magpaalam. siya ata nag drive nun W201 hehehe

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast