New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Time to party like its 1955: the gullwing is back.

This is our first look at the Mercedes SLS, the front-engined supercar that’s set to replace the McMerc SLR later this year and, well, we’re speechless. We are quite literally without speech.

OK, it’s only a sketch of the exterior – though you can see proper photos of the production interior if you click on our gallery – and it’s possible to make even a Daihatsu Terios look mildly ***y in sketch form, but we don’t care. It’s going to be awesome, isn’t it?

First off, look at those gullwing doors, just like the 300SL of the 1950s. Merc is calling them ‘swing-wing doors’, but we know what they are. Proper gullwings, none of your half-arsed scissor-door efforts here.

Now look at the long, blocky front end, at the swept-back GT-R style headlights and the SLR-like side vents. Nestled under that long bonnet will sit Merc’s 6.2-litre V8, the engine seen in the C63 AMG, putting out a hefty 563bhp and 479lb ft of torque.

In such a lightweight coupe – the SLS will be primarily built from aluminium – that’s good for a 0-62mph time of 3.8 seconds (faster than a Corvette Z06, as quick as a Ferrari 599) and a top speed firmly in the 200mph region.

Transmission duties will be taken care of by a new seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox – hence the flappy paddles behind the steering wheel – with four modes ranging from ‘controlled efficiency’ (only Merc could come up with that one) to full manual.

Other Really Quite Exciting Bits include a manually controlled rear spoiler and an ‘AMG’ button, allowing the driver to instantly call up a preferred set-up, just like BMW’s ‘M’ button.

Production is expected to start early next year, with a predicted price around £135,000. Before that, though, we’ll see the SLS in the metal at the Frankfurt show this autumn. It’s fair to say we’re a bit excited…
    Topgear.com

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    honestly am excited about this car. very very much. and 1/3 of the price of the SLR which makes it the bargain of the year!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nz_alfa View Post
    honestly am excited about this car. very very much. and 1/3 of the price of the SLR which makes it the bargain of the year!

135,000 lbs would be roughly 12,015,000 pesos wala pa tax hehehe...if this is a bargain then all other ordinary sedans would be priced like a bike.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    yeah but dont forget the SLR Mclaren was like what, 320,000 GBP? and an old Gullwing would be around 200-250 GBP too so 135 isnt THAT bad in comparison to those 2.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nz_alfa View Post
    yeah but dont forget the SLR Mclaren was like what, 320,000 GBP? and an old Gullwing would be around 200-250 GBP too so 135 isnt THAT bad in comparison to those 2.

deym...even if i win jackpot in lotto i will never be able to afford one, but if i am a politician i can definitely afford a couple of them hehehehe

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by actor21 View Post
    deym...even if i win jackpot in lotto i will never be able to afford one, but if i am a politician i can definitely afford a couple of them hehehehe
    +1 but not about the politician thing. Maybe if I will be at gloria's place. I could afford that thing.....

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by actor21 View Post
    +1 but not about the politician thing. Maybe if I will be at gloria's place. I could afford that thing.....

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    core. with the amount of taxes your politicians give you i wouldnt be surprised if they were being driven around in Mercedes Grossers, Rolls Royce Phantoms and Bentley Arnages..

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I like the design of the car, both interior and exterior. I see the max. speed is 360km/h, well.....quite normal for a mb amg sedan....But nothing beats the Bugatti Veyron

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    The A/C vents looks like it was lifted straight out of a W123 body Mercedes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG