New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was 'classified dreaming' not too long ago when I saw a '97 CLK for sale. I forgot how much pero I think around 1.2M.... The price is good, pero I'm thinking to myself baka madaming gastos na and mahal ang piyesa and labor. The idea in me sparked again when I saw this 97-98 CLK drive in front of me today. WOW. Ganda talaga.

Mga experts, what do you think? Are there other shops na mahusay naman mag-service? Kasi I heard sa casa sobrang mahal daw talaga.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Well, lahat naman ng oto ganyan eh, the higher the entry price, the higher the maintenance costs will be as well.

I suggest you check out European or US boards/forums for frequently mentioned problems and how much they cost to replace (I don't think a lot of things can be "repaired" with late model Euros without costing an arm and a leg anyway).

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Check these websites www.mbworld.org and www.benzworld.org.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes, they are. but a well-maintained benz or bmw doesn't really break down all that often. my experience with a '95 w202 c-class (my brother's car) is that the parts cost much more, but it didn't require expensive repairs more than once a year.

so, if you can self-maintain, or find a trusted person to maintain the car and fix the small stuff inexpensively, i think it will be fine.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    a 97 CLK for 1.2 is quite cheap specially if it is in good condition.

Owning and buying this type of Mercedes requires a dedicated owner and driver. This is not an ordinary car that you just put gas and drive off just like any Japanese car.

Reliability of BENZES are attested to the older W124s below 1995. The 97 still has problems but it can all be repaired. Mechanics and Parts are abundant. Just buy the CLK first. Later mo na problemahin yung sira.

Problems I can think of:

1) Aircon Blower motor and regulator. Plus evaporator sensors etc.. -est. P40,000 or more. Due to fail specially after 9 years of service.
    2) Transmission -- Electronic type. It is a sealed type without a dipstick. Only the dealer can check this. Very expensive to replace if this slips while driving.
    3) If the evaporator has a leak, you have to pull down the entire dashboard and probably ruin a few electrical connections in the process.
    4) Also, this car is computerized. Bawat galaw mo dito, baka kailangan ng OBDII scanner or the "check engine" lights and warnings will light up the dashboard.
    5) Uses a DENSO 7sb16C compressor that fails earlier than usual. Compressors have a life span of 6 years at most. Cost about P30,000 to replace.
    6) Starter motor fails by this time. -- cheap to repair
    7) Brake pads and rotors may need replacing. P4,500 pad set (pagid brand) for front. The rotors are Brembos so it is expensive too.
    8) The steering rack should be in perfect condition without any noise and leaks.. Casa says it cannot be repaired but should be replaced if it breaks. Cost about P250,000. Anyway, if it is broken, I can help you find a mechanic and parts for repair.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    CLK200 Kompressor? Coupe or Convertible?

bilhin mo na agad!!..para eb na tayo..hehehe

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Oo nga. Benz EB na tayo!!

hens: did you go to the MBCP EB last saturday? Absent ako.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by edl100
    Oo nga. Benz EB na tayo!!

hens: did you go to the MBCP EB last saturday? Absent ako.
    OT: natuloy ba? di ko rin alam eh. sobrang lakas ng ulan di ba?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hens
    OT: natuloy ba? di ko rin alam eh. sobrang lakas ng ulan di ba?

OT: I am not sure too if it pushed through.. Naka ready na akong umalis mga 8:00pm but umulan ng malakas. Di na ako umalis since madudumihan lang yung car.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Im really disappionted in the quality of MBs these days
    The Depreciation & Resale value pretty much says what its worth.
    I used to own a 98 ML320. first owner ako and it was my first benz. Things that normally dont break in any new car broke on this benz. It required so much repairs and maintenance that I became good friends with the managers of Cats and Europhil. I even had their cellphone number in case of emergencies.

I sold it last year with just 40t mileage and bought something Japanese. Now I only like japanese and korean cars. I never felt any remorse selling that benz.

My dads late 90s benz also had plenty of mysterious ilnesses despite being 1st owner and really low mileage. He is now a big japanese car fan too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Late ninetys Benzes - Are they expensive to own/maintain?