New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    good day mga gurus

Lalabas na kasi yung auto sa monday after i-overhaul yung makina nya and sabi ng mekaniko dun kailangan daw munang break in for the first 1000km, ang problema ko ay andami kong naririnig na break in procedures, sabi ng mekaniko dapat daw wag patakbuhin ng more than 80kph during my first 1000km, sabi naman nung tito ng kaibigan ko, run it hard daw? ano ba talaga dapat gawin?. . . .

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly_elegance View Post
    good day mga gurus

Lalabas na kasi yung auto sa monday after i-overhaul yung makina nya and sabi ng mekaniko dun kailangan daw munang break in for the first 1000km, ang problema ko ay andami kong naririnig na break in procedures, sabi ng mekaniko dapat daw wag patakbuhin ng more than 80kph during my first 1000km, sabi naman nung tito ng kaibigan ko, run it hard daw? ano ba talaga dapat gawin?. . . .
    1) Start the engine and let it reach normal operating temperature before running it. (Should you need to run it earlier than reaching normal operating temp, do not rev the vehicle higher than 2,000 rpms

2) Yun the car moderately with speeds no higher than 90kph.

Your uncle's "RUN IT HARD" style only works for BRAND NEW vehicles --- with BRAND NEW engines. But for overhauled (used) engines, run moderately.

Hope this helps.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    1) Start the engine and let it reach normal operating temperature before running it. (Should you need to run it earlier than reaching normal operating temp, do not rev the vehicle higher than 2,000 rpms

2) Yun the car moderately with speeds no higher than 90kph.

Your uncle's "RUN IT HARD" style only works for BRAND NEW vehicles --- with BRAND NEW engines. But for overhauled (used) engines, run moderately.

Hope this helps.
    Kung kaya mo magtiis na wala munang aircon for the 1st 1,000km all the better for your engine. When I had my M102 overhauled about 5 years ago nagtiis ako na walang aircon for a while, tinakbo ko rin sa NLEX yun nga lang hanggang 80kph lang ako for the first few hundred kilometers, I did this very early in the morning para di pa mainit at wala masyadong sasakyan , also, don't stay long on a certain speed, mas maganda kung takbo mo muna ng 60 kph, then 70 after a while then 80 tapos balik sa 70 and 60.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    good day mga gurus

If you change piston rings or you have a new liner you should consider a break in like a brand new engine so that the piston ring will honed properly to the liner.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    Kung kaya mo magtiis na wala munang aircon for the 1st 1,000km all the better for your engine. When I had my M102 overhauled about 5 years ago nagtiis ako na walang aircon for a while, tinakbo ko rin sa NLEX yun nga lang hanggang 80kph lang ako for the first few hundred kilometers, I did this very early in the morning para di pa mainit at wala masyadong sasakyan , also, don't stay long on a certain speed, mas maganda kung takbo mo muna ng 60 kph, then 70 after a while then 80 tapos balik sa 70 and 60.
    quoted on the A/C thing, kailangan ko ba talagang itakbo sa nlex itong auto ko? if so sige ittry ko yung varying speed. . .

Quote Originally Posted by cheng95 View Post
    If you change piston rings or you have a new liner you should consider a break in like a brand new engine so that the piston ring will honed properly to the liner.
    yes sir pinalitan yung piston rings but not the liner. . . so hinay hinay lang??

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    quoted on the A/C thing, kailangan ko ba talagang itakbo sa nlex itong auto ko? if so sige ittry ko yung varying speed. . .

Actually nasa iyo naman yan kung itatakbo mo sa NLEX, ang advantage kasi dyan is that maganda ang break in kasi makakatakbo ng maayos yung sasakyan mo so maganda ang lapat ng piston at piston ring. Not to mention na mas madali ma-break in dahil malayo din ang tatakbuhin.

I did the same thing nung break-in nung pina-overhaul ko yung makina ng 300D ko, in fact I drove it all the way to Subic via SCTEX. Nagagawa ko lang to pag weekend, so what I did was set out at 4:30AM Sunday morning drove to NLEX then SCTEX all the way to Subic and back with breakfast stop on my way back to Manila, by 10:00AM I was back in Manila. Pag weekday naman I try to leave the house by 6AM then drive up to Antipolo via Ortigas Ave and then take Sumulong Hiway on my way down then onto Marcos Hiway, by 7:30AM I'm already in my office in Pasig. Did this for about 2 and 1/2 weeks until umabot ako ng 1,000km.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    Actually nasa iyo naman yan kung itatakbo mo sa NLEX, ang advantage kasi dyan is that maganda ang break in kasi makakatakbo ng maayos yung sasakyan mo so maganda ang lapat ng piston at piston ring. Not to mention na mas madali ma-break in dahil malayo din ang tatakbuhin.

I did the same thing nung break-in nung pina-overhaul ko yung makina ng 300D ko, in fact I drove it all the way to Subic via SCTEX. Nagagawa ko lang to pag weekend, so what I did was set out at 4:30AM Sunday morning drove to NLEX then SCTEX all the way to Subic and back with breakfast stop on my way back to Manila, by 10:00AM I was back in Manila. Pag weekday naman I try to leave the house by 6AM then drive up to Antipolo via Ortigas Ave and then take Sumulong Hiway on my way down then onto Marcos Hiway, by 7:30AM I'm already in my office in Pasig. Did this for about 2 and 1/2 weeks until umabot ako ng 1,000km.
    then a trip to subic it is but how about the load?, if i'm goin' to subic might as well bring my girlfriend and 2 other friends and hit the beach, will it be safe for my engine to run at this state? i'm planning to do this this holyweek. . .

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    As with all things new ... or newly overhauled .... dapat hinay-hinay sa simula ...

My thoughts... 80 kph with rpm's not exceeding 2500 is ideal for the first 1000 km's ...

Sa province.. we would run truck engines (Cummins/Detroit Diesel) 24 hours straight at mid-load to simulate break-in conditions .... Because they need to run at max load when they go out again ...

But that's too expensive a procedure in a gas MB ...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    thanks for all the inputs, nakuha ko na yung car ko, i'm currently driving it the "hinay hinay style" my mechanic advice me not to drive my car sa expressway until it reached it's first 200kms after that pwede na daw ibyahe sa expreesway not exceeding 80kph at 3000 rpm, then after it's first 1000kms ibabalik ko daw sa kanya for some final touches, change oil and tune up, then pwede ko na daw patakbuhin anyway i like it. . .

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I would run it hard for the first 200kms. Then bring it back for tuning.
    Change oil at 500ks and 1000ks odo. That is just me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
how to "break in"  a newly overhauled 102 engine