New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    hi Gurus,

I just bought a 1985 w201 4cyl US version from my cousin, currently having it fixed.

Last week, we tried to start the car, but the fuel pump was not responding upon turning the ignition "ON". Mechanic opened the fuel pump to clean it but we used epoxy to put it back together since its like a disposable type of fuel pump. After it was cleaned, we tried to re-start but still no go. We checked the relay and there are cracks in the solders so the mechanic soldered them back together, the fuel pump is now working but fuel is still not going up the distributor. The final suspect left is the governor, not sure how to check if this is still working.

Need you advice before buying the parts needed to have the car running again. I want to be sure what part to buy because the parts are not that cheap.. even surplus ones.

do I need to?

change the fuel pump
    change the fuel pump relay
    change the fuel governor?
    change all 3 (ouch)

The car is starting a month ago, but when it was stuck for a month, a lot of grime went in the system and messed it up.

Thank you in advanced.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ralliart17, are you sure you have a 201, you may have a 124 as it is 1985 model.
    there are a lot of parts that can influence your car from starting,like the electricals and the carb ecu and fuel distributor. you need to send it to a shop with a lot if spares so you can do the process of elimination. believe me if your mechanic does not have access to spare parts it will be more expensive and take you longer. one thing you have to do also is to clean your fuel system as fuel can get stale and one thing you need to do when it is running again is get some fuel additive to clean the pipes and injectors of the stale fuel. If you are in quezon city, you can try going to charon in congressional ave., he imports parts from germany (surplus) and therefore a lot cheaper than buying a new one. if u need details of how to contact send me pm. that is a nice car and it will be such a waste just to let is stand, those cars love to run and run. good luck

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pr462 View Post
    ralliart17, are you sure you have a 201, you may have a 124 as it is 1985 model.
    there are a lot of parts that can influence your car from starting,like the electricals and the carb ecu and fuel distributor. you need to send it to a shop with a lot if spares so you can do the process of elimination. believe me if your mechanic does not have access to spare parts it will be more expensive and take you longer. one thing you have to do also is to clean your fuel system as fuel can get stale and one thing you need to do when it is running again is get some fuel additive to clean the pipes and injectors of the stale fuel. If you are in quezon city, you can try going to charon in congressional ave., he imports parts from germany (surplus) and therefore a lot cheaper than buying a new one. if u need details of how to contact send me pm. that is a nice car and it will be such a waste just to let is stand, those cars love to run and run. good luck
    Thanks for the advice. Yup, double checked the code and its a 201.

Already got the number of charon through this site and was able to get a quotation on the governor.

I'll find a way to tow the car to charon since its an automatic, or get someone from charon to check out the car.

Thanks again. I'll update once we get the car running.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    *ralliart17: I may be able to help you fresh parts you need at a reasonable price. You just need to confirm first that those are actually the parts you need.

Let me know.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You bought the car for a song did'nt you?...

IMHO ... its best to replace all of the above .... (para isang trabaho nalang)

Goodluck ...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    W201 is the "baby" Benz. Smaller than the W124.

Try mo sa Benz Club. Dami nagbebenta used W201 parts dun. Dun ko nakuha yung fuel pump relay and CISE ng 190E ko last year.

AFAIK, yung 1985 na W201 was (is) equipped with a carb, hindi pa fuel injected.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    You bought the car for a song did'nt you?...

IMHO ... its best to replace all of the above .... (para isang trabaho nalang)

Goodluck ...

yup.. hehehe

super bargain.. pero mukhang napapasubo na ako ngayon.. hehehe

nag migrate na kasi cousin ko sa canada and nanghinanayang naman ako kung benta sa iba..

actually, I'm thinking na palitan na lahat para walang worries..

thanks

8. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    *ralliart17: I may be able to help you fresh parts you need at a reasonable price. You just need to confirm first that those are actually the parts you need.

Let me know.
    benzmizer - please pm me your price for all the parts. All parts mentioned have been repaired and will need replacing anytime soon.

thanks..

9. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woulfe27 View Post
    W201 is the "baby" Benz. Smaller than the W124.

Try mo sa Benz Club. Dami nagbebenta used W201 parts dun. Dun ko nakuha yung fuel pump relay and CISE ng 190E ko last year.

AFAIK, yung 1985 na W201 was (is) equipped with a carb, hindi pa fuel injected.
    tried sa benz club, no response naman kapag nag sms ako sa mga seller..

meron din pong fuel injected, 2.3 4 cyl engine nya.. us version.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ralliart 17, stand corrected nasa isip ko 210, tama si woulfe 27, baby benz nga but yes may 2.3 din yan. good luck and share to us how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
help:  w201 fuel system woes