New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I think my car's due for a tranny fluid change. It's a 1987 190d 2.5 (non-turbo) 5-cyl with 4-speed A/T.

Goes on high revs at 2nd & 3rd before upshifting...anyways, what would be the recommended brand? conventional or synthetic? and what's with Dexron 6? i heard it's synthetic, so dexron 3 is conventional? what is a wiser buy, since my car would prob'ly need at least 6 ltrs of the stuff?...

TIA to all those who'd reply.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    If I were you I'd stick to conventional dexron 3 fluid, mahirap na gumamit ng synthetic at dexron 6, di kasi designed para doon yung tranny ng 190D mo, baka magkandalokoloko pa. I've had good experience with Caltex and Mobil ATF. Don't forget to also drain the torque converter and also change the ATF Filter and pan gasket.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Meron na bang Dexron 6 sa atin? parang wala pa eh. I use caltex texamatic...
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Meron na bang Dexron 6 sa atin? parang wala pa eh. I use caltex texamatic...
    Same here. Caltex Texamatic. Reasonably price, supply is abundant and guaranteed safe for your tranny. As Ron pointed out, higher/newer does not always mean better.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I got Total Dexron III ATF...had it done at Santo Carlos. Mang Lino said it's what they use and it's in the list recommended by MB naman. Drained the pan and torque converter, replaced filter with Febi brand and got an orig pan gasket from Delodur...used up 6 liters

next in line would be a change oil...

thanks to all for your inputs!

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Did not know that there is a dexron 6 already. A quick google search showed that it is backward compatible with dexron 3. Dexron 3 is already phased out.

DEXRON®-VI - GM Techlink

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Did not know that there is a dexron 6 already. A quick google search showed that it is backward compatible with dexron 3. Dexron 3 is already phased out.

DEXRON®-VI - GM Techlink
    Phased-out in advance countries where maintaining old cars is more expensive than buying new ones. But in the PI, IMHO, aabutin pa tayo ng 10-20 years at buhay pa yan malamang.

Ganito na lang, as long as may mga jeepney na kakarag-karag or my OTJ na ginagawa, meron pa tayong DIII.

Mura eh.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Dexron 6 vs Dexron 3