New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Good day nag check ako ang tubig sa reservoir kaninang umaga, laking gulat ko there is atf sa radiator at reserba brown na kulay amoy atf. Last month nag pagawa ako ng radiator pina tanso ko ung isang gilid kaso nataman pala nila oil cooler. Now doble gastos ko i will order new radiator. Sa tingin nyo ba nagka tubig transmission ko? Do i have to flush my atf? Any recommendation na cheap shops sa manila? By the way am from baguio city.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Replace your radiator and drain your ATF contaminated coolant first. Then pour in water mixed with Joy dishwashing liquid. Fill up the cooling system and run the engine. Leave that mixture in there for a couple of days. Joy liquid will dissolve oily deposits. Then drain and purge the whole cooling system, fill with water (clean), then drain again, fill, drain, fill drain. Until you do not see soap bubbles anymore. Refill with original MB coolant (blue color).

Water contamination inside the gearbox is a different problem. Drain the ATF inside the transmission, then turn the torque converter manually. You will see that the torque converter will have a seperate drain plug for the ATF inside it, drain that too. Open the transmission bottom cover, check for sludging, replace the cover gasket and the ATF filter. Check your owners manual for the correct ATF grade, and correct level. Refill with fresh ATF. Run the car for a week, then perform the change ATF procedure again. Do it 3 times just to be sure. Remember that you must get rid of most if not all coolant traces out of the gearbox, as it will lead to rusting of the metal parts inside, especially the transmission valve body.

These are just suggestions, I cannot quantify on how much ATF is there inside your cooling system, or the coolant in your transmission. One thing I can tell you however is to stop driving the car and drain those fluids as soon as possible, to lessen the amount of possible damage, especially on the transmission.

To give you an idea of how much a tranny overhaul is costing nowadays, its about 160K ++.

If you don't know where to buy the parts here in Manila, just tell me and I will post them here.

Good luck.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Just finished all the necessary things for my e class. Change the oil filter and atf 2x interval of four days. Bought a brand new radiator and clean the hoses. Nag oil change narin ako makina, bago narin air filter and mga gaskets. Even bought new pair of front shock absorbers. Grabe a total of 15 liters of oil for the tranny and 7 for the engine. Butas bulsa ko. Hehehe!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

Were you able to drain ATF from the torque converter? Observe the color of your ATF for a few days or a couple of weeks. If it turns "whitish" there is still coolant contamination in your gearbox. You must repeat the flushing again. Were you able to replace the ATF filter for the gearbox?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    ^

Were you able to drain ATF from the torque converter? Observe the color of your ATF for a few days or a couple of weeks. If it turns "whitish" there is still coolant contamination in your gearbox. You must repeat the flushing again. Were you able to replace the ATF filter for the gearbox?
    Yeah! i replaced the atf filter and also drain the torque converter twice. Dami laman torque coverter na atf. Good thing i never put cooant in may radiator ever since so water and humalo sa atf. The first drain was like a mocha ish color the second red na may konting white nalang. Tranny is now more responsive.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

Ok, cool. Lessons learned.