New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Good day, mercedes benz owners and enthusiasts! I've wanted a classic mb for so long and chanced upon an early 70s 450 slc. Any owners out there? What are the things that I have to be aware of when checking out one? Any particular issues in this model? What is the usual fuel consumption (given that this has a 4.5L v8 engine)? Is maintaining one easy? All and any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and more power.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    There is a very simple rule we live by: There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes...

For a car in her late 30s one has to look into the usual suspects: collision/corrosion history, what has been done (or the lack of it), etc etc etc...

Simply search "Mercedes R107" in Wikipedia and you'll get a good read about this fabled coupe...

Happy hunting!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by docgorio; August 2nd, 2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typographical error

3. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    There is a very simple rule we live by: There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes...

For a car in her late 30s one has to look into the usual suspects: collision/corrosion history, what has been done (or the lack of it), etc etc etc...

Simply search "Mercedes R107" in Wikipedia and you'll get a good read about this fabled coupe...

Happy hunting!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks sir!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    You might want to consider the SL series than the SLC...

The SL's are more desirable, especially the 280SL...

That IMO is the best combination of looks, speed and handling...

Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    You might want to consider the SL series than the SLC...

The SL's are more desirable, especially the 280SL...

That IMO is the best combination of looks, speed and handling...
    And with a straight-6 engine some interchangeable parts from Ssangyong can be used to reduce maintenance costs.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Ang alam ko si Francis (lowslowbenz) merong 450SLC.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I used to have a 1980 280SL MT. It's fun to drive and easy to maintain (being a 2.8L straight 6 (M110) engine only). A V8 engine is a different animal thou. Fuel consumption may be a concern to strat with.

Yup, lowslowbenz owns one. He'd be a giood source of maintenance experience.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    And with a straight-6 engine some interchangeable parts from Ssangyong can be used to reduce maintenance costs.
    uh .. I don't think so ..

For the thread starter, is this your "first" MB? If it is, then I highly suggest that first do some research on the particular model that you like to acquire and then window shop on possible candidates for eventual purchase. The C107 450SLC is the long wheelbase version of the R107 450 SL. The "C" meaning that it is a solid roofed coupe, against the "R" which has a demountable solid roof and soft top. The C107 has more legroom for rear passengers however.

Re: Issues ... that really depends on the present physical state of the car that you will buy. As a good practise, it is best to bring along a qualified MB mechanic to thoroughly check the car out before deciding. Fuel consumption is sadly in the single digit category .. my car gets 4 km/litre in a mixed cycle. The M117 powerplant is robust, but be wary of "chain-stretch" .. the valve train has a single chain drive system that is prone to stretching after a long period of time. Check for fuel leaks in the mechanical injection system. Gearbox is a 4 speed automatic, check for shift shock, delayed engagement when shifting from P to R or D, transmission flare (slipping).

I can answer your queries about the car if you have some, but be forewarned that middle aged MB's are a little bit of a challenge to fix right. It would greatly help a lot if you're a DIY guy, if not naman .. I hope you can find a trustworthy MB mechanic that will help you on your project car.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any. Goodluck on your MB!

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    uh .. I don't think so ..

For the thread starter, is this your "first" MB? If it is, then I highly suggest that first do some research on the particular model that you like to acquire and then window shop on possible candidates for eventual purchase. The C107 450SLC is the long wheelbase version of the R107 450 SL. The "C" meaning that it is a solid roofed coupe, against the "R" which has a demountable solid roof and soft top. The C107 has more legroom for rear passengers however.

Re: Issues ... that really depends on the present physical state of the car that you will buy. As a good practise, it is best to bring along a qualified MB mechanic to thoroughly check the car out before deciding. Fuel consumption is sadly in the single digit category .. my car gets 4 km/litre in a mixed cycle. The M117 powerplant is robust, but be wary of "chain-stretch" .. the valve train has a single chain drive system that is prone to stretching after a long period of time. Check for fuel leaks in the mechanical injection system. Gearbox is a 4 speed automatic, check for shift shock, delayed engagement when shifting from P to R or D, transmission flare (slipping).

I can answer your queries about the car if you have some, but be forewarned that middle aged MB's are a little bit of a challenge to fix right. It would greatly help a lot if you're a DIY guy, if not naman .. I hope you can find a trustworthy MB mechanic that will help you on your project car.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any. Goodluck on your MB!
    Sorry, me bad... It's supposed to be Single Overhead Cam double chain valvetrain .. .. and it is not prone to chain stretch .. medyo nalito lang ako kanina ..

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I wonder what has become of the search???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
450 slc