New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    so finally i got the.. the cheap MB ... i know i know .... i did not listen. (sabi na nga ni bos bob mag antay ng 123 diesel eh!) anyway I will somehow find the time and means to make it work for the car, so here goes the snags

THE BAD

1/ a/t shifting from "P' to "N" loud thud sound + jerking. "N" to "D" seems the same. when in "D" while driving ganun din only when may cases na nagsakto yung shift sa apak ko ng gas pedal
    - is this tranny mounts or worst??

2/ the whole a/c system was originally R12 converted to I don't know what and was dome in a very bad taste, may pansit canton na wires sa ibabaw ng dryer ng a/c, worst yung center wood oanel binutas to give way to the makeshift a/c knobs!

3/ both front shocks busted
    4/ there are cut wires everywhere in the engine bay
    5/ fan clutch was disabled
    6/ fuse box corroded and may mga naka jumper
    7/ brakes feel spongy
    8/ diasbled din ang hand brake
    9/ dash lights always illuminated yung oil, reservoir, SRS, yung parang araw, at may tick tick sound na parang may open circuit sa loob ng cabin
    10/ antenna was converted to japan ones, nawala yung side panel cover sa trunk
    11/ driver seat does not move rearwards, is there a way to manually overrride this, hirao ako sa driving position ko
    12/ only one key was given pudpod pa, di magamit sa driver side, pwede ba local alarm nalang i install?
    13/ rear passenger cabin lights does not illuminate
    14/ need to change the USV headlamps and grille
    15/ door sidings upper edges starts to peel off
    16/ sunvisor does not work
    17/ lumalagatok yung rear passenger doors both during opening/closing
    18/ nawala ang hood star
    19/ no radio
    20/ no medical kit
    21/ spare tire was 14" ronal rims, anybody wants to swap with 15" steel rim?

1/ body is in very good shape, may kulang lang ng isang body liner about 2inches before the rear wheel well rh side
    2/ kapapalit lang ng fuel regulator (talangka)
    3/ kapapalit lang ng hydrovac

I really want na ayusin yung oto, pero in your opinion is it worth it? kindly advise reputable shops lalu na sa aircondition problems ko mukang ito ang malaking gastusan..

any clues or estimate price this will take is most welcome (ie. 50-70K, 100k up etc..) so i would know kung go or not to.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    OMG! ......

The big question ... WHY o WHY?

Seriously, reputable shops are aplenty for your car, but with that kind of repair work to be done, you're looking at a LOT of spending, and a LOT of headaches too. Repair is one thing .. but the hard/est part comes in undoing the "classic-remedyo" repair that the previous owner did before you got the car.

My 2 cents.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My sympathies to you...

Bob's and Francis' ever famous adage falls true in this case...

To repeat the question: Why????????????

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    [SIZE="4"]"THERE IS NOTHING MORE EXPENSIVE THAN A CHEAP MERCEDES"[/SIZE]

I hate to say this but with the aforementioned condition you have just stated, I thought you bought yourself a PARTS CAR for no more than P40k.

.... and it's not even a diesel 201......
    Last edited by Benzmizer; March 17th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    *TS, magkano nyo nabili yung w201 nyo? Laking gastos nan...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You do not buy a car in that state and ask for reputable shops to fix it. You buy a car in that state so YOU can fix it, para makapag tipid ka. Kung ipapagawa mo lang sa ibang shop, you cannot determine kung pulido pagkagawa nila. You want it done a certain way (the right way) pero you did not follow the advice presented to you.

Hirap pa dyan, like Francis said, you have to undo what has been done to remedy problems, THEN fix the problems. You basically have back to back problems kasi you got a car that has been messed with and you want to correct their mistake. Finding a car that has not been messed with is rule number 1 so you start with a clean slate.

In my opinion the cost to fix all these will easily exceed the value of the car. Then again you do not buy this type of car to invest in, you buy it because you want it. But, what made you want it in the first place? If you have a baseline reason why you got the car, you can probably work around it.

Now, it's up to you to determine whether it's worth it or not. Mahirap pa dyan, if you decide to sell sinong bibili for the price you paid for it. Chances are baka palugi ka pa para mapakawala mo na, to get a better one.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    tsk, tsk, tsk.... baket koyahhhh, bakeeettttt????

you could have posted here first if you were looking for a nice unit, i could have offered you mine. dalhin mo lang ako sa AF1 (ng isang buwan hehehe) i could have given it to you with a very friendly price tag

mine was a tintless euro version, manual, 2.0cc, complete with the claddings, 17" amg monoblocs and icy a/c. have to let go for a desirable euro s124 diesel, manual, pampamilya na e. yung nakabili ng 190e ko hanggang tenga ang ngiti. nakasabay ko pa one time along katipunan road may sakay na hot chick sa harap

anyways, good luck na lang sayo brader but it seems you are in for one major pain in the pocket.

moral of the thread: makinig sa mga benz gurus

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    When my sister crashed her '93 190E 2.6, we had to find a replacement. Looked through a handful (10-15) cars for sale locally and eventually found one for $1000. The seller dropped $100 from the price to make it $900, but it needed a new belt, tensioner, etc plus swapped the wheels from my sister's old car, clean up and a new radiator. Low mileage siya pero it was neglected kaya it's somewhat "intact" at hindi ginalaw.

My sister drives it daily - it has several cosmetic issues and hard starting, but so far she's never had any huge problems.

On the other hand, I got my '89 190E 2.6 for $2300 then dumped more $$$ into it to get it up to speed (new windshield, new tires, converted AC to R134a, new flex disc, new catalytic converter, repaired exhaust leak, replaced fuel pump relay, replaced fuel distributor from sister's wrecked '93 (:D), tons of other small items, took out ALL aftermarket stereo wiring and installed old Eclipse HU from my 300D, then cleaned it up well). Also did a tune up and got to know the car thoroughly through my mechanic.

It had new Bilsteins on all 4 corners, new front flex disc, headgasket has been done, new radiator, etc before I got the car.

Got the center console from my sister's wrecked car and put in some personal touches (Euro cubbie console, Gloria fire extinguisher, Euro lights, etc). This has given us headaches too but I had to screen it thoroughly before pulling the trigger. Same deal with my sister's replacement car (especially that one, because it was so cheap - but I saw that the owner was just not into the car - so he was not hiding anything and just wanted to let it go).

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    (double post)
    Last edited by mbeige; March 19th, 2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: double post

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    If proven "outrageous" cost of repairing the unit, one alternative I could think of is to make a parts car out of it. Sell fresh parts and "maybe" you can get back (part) of what you spent for acquiring it.

No punt on 201 owners, stick to a 123 diesel (as originally planned) and let the guys (me included) help you look for a decent unit (depending on your budget)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
HELP 190e 2.3 with a/t