The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MAKE: 1987 190d 2.5 non-turbo
    SPECS: 602 engine, 5-cyl, A/T
    MILEAGE: 193,000 kms
    CONSUMPTION: 8.3-8.7 km/l city driving

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME ON THIS LONG POST...

Am planning to take my new toy on a road trip. Since i bought it last Oct'10 QC-Pasay has been the farthest i've driven (all work, no time for a vacation).

I plan to drive it to Tagaytay first to see how it holds up on an out of town trip, and if that goes well, then next trip will be from QC-Naga City come May or June. This would be a good test for the car and to clean out any carbon build up in the engine to hopefully get better fuel economy.

Anyone here who has driven all the way to Naga? Please advise on the road conditions, route and possible side trips along the way.

Does using nitrogen on the tires have any real and significant effect?

I plan to take my gf and niece along and it would be nice to optimize our route. Am allotting a total of 5-6 days for the round trip. Maybe an overnight somewhere before hitting naga, then 3d/2n in Naga, maybe another overnight on the way home.

My only concern is can my 23 yr old car make it without any hitches? so far I've taken good care of the engine and have been fixing most of the mechanical:
    -replaced valve cover gasket
    -replaced water pump
    -cleaned aircon
    -cleaned and overhauled brakes and replaced necessary caliper kits
    -replaced alternator (90amps)
    -replaced shock mounting and right ball joint.
    -Mags are currently being refurbished (repainted) to complement the 4pcs Dunlop 205/60/15 i got.

TO DO:
    -have the wheels balanced and then camber.
    -have the brake fluid replaced and brakes re-checked.
    -replace fuse box although the current one works fine (i got one that's almost in pristine condition)
    -will have the hand brake checked and fixed.
    -check right rear suspension, mejo mababa than the others maybe a spring problem as the shocks are new Bilsteins (kaya lng mejo stiff ang ride).

that's it for now...thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    You know your car best - take care of the critical components first. Bring extra fuel filters (emphasize on the "S" since you might get a batch of dirty diesel fuel), some basic tools to replace them. Bring extra fuses as well. Doesn't hurt to ensure your battery is good and glow plugs + relay are good. Bring extra relay fuse!! Cheap part you just can't go without.

I've brought my '83 300D to San Francisco and back to LA (6 hour drive or around 400-500 miles one way) without a hitch, on TWO occasions already. The trip was done at sustained 60 to 70mph speeds, sometimes pushing it to 90mph. Back then it had the same number as your odometer has, but in MILES.

Full load with 4 adults and a toddler on the first trip, two adults and some luggage on the second trip. In truth, it was ME who gave up driving - the car was just relentless and did not want to stop.

If mine can make it, you'll be fine. ;)

Pump up the tire pressures to maximum recommended for full luggage (check fuel filler lid) - make sure it does not exceed maximum allowable pressure indicated on the tires! Make sure spare tire is also filled with air (36psi per MB recommendation if I remember correctly). If you have stock wheels on stock lug bolts - bring 17mm lug wrench and extension tube if necessary, as well as the factory jack and wheel chocks (if you can't find rocks).

Load up on your favorite music and bring some drinks too, and just enjoy your trip. Take as many pics as possible, this is one thing you won't want to forget.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    +1 kay pat. You know your car best... enjoy the trip. I've driven all the way to casiguran sorsogon, unfortunately it was not with an MB and that was about 8 yrs ago.. hehehe... roads should be better now...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Try taking it to Tagaytay first, that way you could get a feel of the car on medium range trips. Bring tools along if you can, and the usual things that Pat said above ..

Naga is a long way down ... I suggest you have an oil change before the trip, just to be confident that you have new oil in your motor.

Nitrogen in tyres is just waaaay overated .. IMHO .. (besides, how would you know they're "really" pumping nitrogen into your tyres?)

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    thanks a lot guys! very informative advise will take everything into consideration.

right now, options are growing...
    naga then to caramoan
    quezon and mauban
    laiya batangas
    vigan and pagudpud

will deliberate within the nest week or two.

thanks again!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Drive it daily in Metro traffic condition. If it is reliable in the city, it will be happier on long drives. Just make sure you have checked the basic things like brakes, wheel alignments and tire condition including spare, fluid and oil condition/level, new fuel filters and spare and you are good to go.

Just don't forget to pray before each trip.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by benzlimo View Post
    Drive it daily in Metro traffic condition. If it is reliable in the city, it will be happier on long drives. Just make sure you have checked the basic things like brakes, wheel alignments and tire condition including spare, fluid and oil condition/level, new fuel filters and spare and you are good to go.

Just don't forget to pray before each trip.
    To add, check the belts and bring extra of each. Make sure that you have a complete set of tools too boot. With that, you are ready to :car:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy569 View Post

Anyone here who has driven all the way to Naga? Please advise on the road conditions, route and possible side trips along the way.

Travel by day is advisable, as there are a lot of pot holes along the road... miss them or hit them.
    Ingat rin sa mga bus na umo-overtake, kahit nasa wrong lane sila, tinutuloy pa rin ang pag overtake. Muntik na akong ma head-on nitong huli kong byahe kung di pa ako tumabi sa shoulder.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Dapat sa mga bus driver na yan .. balikan .. habulin .. at barilin sa ulo!

oops ... me bad ..

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    If it's your first time to travel to bikol, better drive at daylight because of the road condition especially at quirino / andaya highway...un even road pavements, pot holes, mix asphalt and cement road, zigzags.

There is 2 options which way you want to use...via daet cams Norte or quirino / andaya highway. If you take the daet road, it's a longer route but better road quality though you will encounter zigzag roads.

Quirino /andaya highway is shorter in distance but you must be alert and tactful due to un even road pavements, pot holes, etc...there was a time when there were road constructions at quirino, I took the daet road though longer in distance, it has better road condition and that time the travel time is almost the same...enjoy your ride and have a safe drive on your journey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
190d ROAD TRIP: QC to Naga