Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    From ABS-CBN INTERACTIVE
    DECEMBER 30, 2007

India's Tata set to launch world's cheapest car

[SIZE=2]Agence France-Presse

[/SIZE]
    NEW DELHI - India's giant Tata Group plans to launch the world's cheapest car early in January while also looking set to drive off with two of the poshest marques -- Ford's iconic Jaguar and Land Rover brands.

Ratan Tata, head of the tea-to-steel Tata conglomerate, will unveil the "People's Car" January 10 at a New Delhi auto show that will carry a sticker price of 100,000 rupees, or 2,500 dollars, which some analysts say could revolutionize automobile costs worldwide.

And Tata, which has been on an aggressive overseas expansion drive, is also expected to win its reported two-billion-dollar bid for the British Land Rover and Jaguar brands in January -- putting it in the unusual position of making two prestige cars as well as the world's lowest-cost automobile.

The cheap car, a pet project of Cornell-trained architect Ratan Tata that he helped design, is aimed at getting India's masses off their motorbikes and into cars.

"Acceleration wise, it's the same as a Maruti 800," board member R.A. Mashelkar said, referring to the most popular budget model made by Japanese-owned rival Maruti Suzuki that sells for 4,800 dollars.

But a cheaper car "will provide some acceleration to market growth" at the same time as forcing other automakers to cut prices as well as produce cheaper cars, Mathur said.
    [SIZE=2]

Well, even the Indians are doing well...they are now producing their own autos in contrast to our country..nothing more but a mere dependent/consumer/importer...thats why we are so poor...I hope we make similar moves to uplift our self-respect as a nation......
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by theveed; December 31st, 2007 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Edited for proper racial term.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    This is why Suzuki plans to lower their prices to compete with TATA's "peoples car".

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Any news on the car? Ano kaya itsura nito?
    iam3739.com

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    From ABS-CBN INTERACTIVE
    DECEMBER 30, 2007

India's Tata set to launch world's cheapest car

[SIZE=2]Agence France-Presse

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]

Well, even the Indians are doing well...they are now producing their own autos in contrast to our country..nothing more but a mere dependent/consumer/importer...thats why we are so poor...I hope we make similar moves to uplift our self-respect as a nation......
    [/SIZE]
    FYI: They also bought Land Rover (and if I'm not mistaken Jaguar too) from Ford

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tata has long been making cars for the Indian market using licensed technology from established manufacturers (including Mercedes Benz). The products have been evolved to suit the Indian market. The cars are not exactly world class but work well enough for India and they're not 'pirated' versions unlike some Chinese cars.

Suzuki is partnered with an Indian manufacturer (Mahindra?). The Alto and other Suzuki models are sold in India under an Indian brand.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Tata Sierra was even sold here back in the early to mid 90s.

the SUV with a face that will remind you of late 80s Merc sedans.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Curious, why was it edited by Theveed?

That Tata car is a bit of old news actually,.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mbeige: reason updated ^^^

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    That reminds me, spy pic of Tata's new SUV/MPV, the Sumo Phoenix.

Here's an interesting concept by TATA...
    The Cliffrider concept.

PS: Happy New Year!
    Last edited by AG4; January 1st, 2008 at 12:40 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Suzuki is partnered with an Indian manufacturer (Mahindra?). The Alto and other Suzuki models are sold in India under an Indian brand.
    I think its Maruti-Udyog sir. The makers of Maruti Alto/Suzuki Alto.I think Suzuki Alto sold in the Philippines are CBU from India.

Anyway, TATA which is going to develop and mass produce an indigenous auto is something new. These BRIC as well as ancient countries(India and China) are really flexing their economic and "technological " muscles to compete with established economic powers in Eurasia.

In fact, Indian TNCs such as GLOBAL Steel, Mittal, Reliance and TATA are buying companies overseas. Now TATA is buying its former colonizer's status symbol--JAGUAR and Rover.

Bilog Talaga ang Mundo. Sana Philippines din.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Watch out: Indian Autos