New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE="4"]The People's Republic of Capitalism (2009)[/SIZE]

Information
    Ted Koppel takes an in-depth look at the economic ties that bind the U.S. to China.

"A major achievement ... an utterly enchanting education" –The Washington Post

"Terrific ... don't miss it." –USA Today

In this in-depth four-part documentary, Ted Koppel examines China's new status as an economic superpower and its complex relationship with the United States. He focuses on Chongqing–a city in Sichuan Province with a burgeoning population and big plans for the future. While peasants in outlying areas eke out a meager living, the rising middle class revels in new riches, challenging traditional ideas about religion, ***uality, and consumerism. All this reverberates here in America, where companies scramble for cheap labor, workers find jobs shipped overseas, and shoppers snap up Chinese-made goods at big box retailers.

A year in the making, The People's Republic of Capitalism shows China's extraordinary changes through the eyes of its industrialists, assembly line workers, coal miners, taxi drivers, and farmers. Along the way, it provides surprising perspectives on a country fast becoming America's greatest economic rival and biggest business partner.

An inductee in the Broadcasting Hall of Fame, Ted Koppel has earned 37 Emmys, six Peabodys, and numerous other awards in his decades of broadcast reporting. He served as anchor and managing editor of ABC's Nightline, network television's first late-night news program, for 25 years.
    ******* Link:
    http://www.kickass*******s.com/searc...of-capitalism/

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    here's a 5 minute clip from that video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF9Mz3F9QXI"]YouTube- people's republic of capitalism-autos.m4v[/ame]

Ted Koppel talks to the head of Lifan Motors

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This is a recommended video for people who wants to see what makes China an economic power and how far China have become "modern".

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    This is a recommended video for people who wants to see what makes China an economic power and how far China have become "modern".
    downloading now as I first saw this link earlier today.. but now.. 0kb/s ang rate ko... =(

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    tamang tama ito.

On a side note, I'm gonna pick up the latest edition of Freakonomics recommended by a friend.
    Is this any good?
    Last edited by Negus; April 28th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Negus View Post
    tamang tama ito.

On a side note, I'm gonna pick up the latest edition of Freakonomics recommended by a friend.
    Is this any good?
    I heard its good. I joined a blog of a professor of environmental economics in a US university and he mentions it in some of his posts. It is not really an academic read I think.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Been to Beijing recently and was amazed as how China has become. The streets are filled with Audi A6s, VW Jettas, Buicks, Honda Accords, Citroen, and Hyundai(mostly taxicabs).

I noticed a lot of buildings being put up. Just hope it will not start another housing bubble.

BTT... yup, this movie is a must see.

Ted Koppel's - The People's Republic of Capitalism