New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sky Cable has taken over Destiny Cable which makes it effectively a monopoly in the Cable TV business here in Metro Manila. This is always bad news for us consumers whether you are a Sky or Destiny Cable subscriber.

MANILA, Philippines - Three companies, including Destiny Cable, have to agreed sell their cable TV and broadband internet assets and subscribers to the Lopez-owned Sky Cable Corp. (SKY).

Destiny Cable Inc. (DCI), Solid Broadband Corporation (SBC), and Uni-Cable TV Inc. (UNI) said they "have recently forged an agreement" with SKY "to further improve the services provided to their Destiny cable television and MyDestiny broadband internet subscribers."

A statement on the deal released Friday said “the agreement entails the sale of the cable TV and broadband internet assets and subscribers of DCI, SBC, and UNI to SKY.”

“The pay TV and broadband markets require continuous significant investments, if we are to keep up with our major competitors, particularly the direct-to-home satellite (DTH) and telco companies,” said David Lim, president of DCI, SBC, and UNI.

Lim said the agreement was reached order to give their Destiny Cable and MyDestiny broadband subscribers “the best products and services possible.”

To do this, Lim said they “realized that this will entail resources, for digitizing our cable network and expanding our broadband services, that we do not have.”

“We believe our agreement with SKY will allow subscribers to enjoy the benefits of the latest technologies," Lim said.

SKY Chief Operating Officer Rodrigo P. Montinola, meantime, said, “We are happy with the opportunity to extend the unique advantages of the digital cable TV and cable broadband internet platforms to Destiny and MyDestiny subscribers.”

He said SKY “will take extra care not to disrupt the existing services of the current subscribers – they will continue to pay same monthly fees for their subscribed plans, at the same payment centers, and can continue to reach Customer Service at the same numbers. We will make announcements on new services to be made available, at the appropriate time.”

Lim said the deal will allow their holding company, Solid Group Inc., to focus on selling its mobile phone brand, MyPhone.

“Our tie up with SKY came at an opportune time as it allows us to focus on our other core businesses. Our holding company Solid Group Inc (SGI), markets and distributes the leading Filipino mobile phone brand MyPhone," he said.

ABS-CBN Corp.'s Sky Cable is the Philippines’ largest cable television service provider with around 500,000 upscale subscribers in Metro Manila and key urban areas nationwide.

ABS-CBNnews.com is the online news outfit of ABS-CBN Corp.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Gagawin na talaga nila digital

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    This sucks! I pay 500 a month for destiny and get more channels than sky which is now 780 a month...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    This sucks! I pay 500 a month for destiny and get more channels than sky which is now 780 a month...
    Yun na nga and I won't be surprised if they increase that 500/mo to 1000/mo.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Sky removed BBC News and Bloomberg to "encourage" subscribers to move to their digibox service...ganun ka husay ang Sky.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Monopoly!

Too short.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Same here. There was a time i had both Sky and Destiny at home and we cut the Sky.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The beginning for the end of cheap cable tv has arrived.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The beginning for the end of cheap cable tv has arrived.
    Couldn't have agreed more. Here I pay only P148.33 on our cable. Thanks to splitter. Got all the channels I need.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Couldn't have agreed more. Here I pay only P148.33 on our cable. Thanks to splitter. Got all the channels I need.
    It's the end to the splitter era as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Sky Cable takes over Destiny Cable