New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    my default station is going byebye. I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet. The only rock station in town is changing format.

also heard roxy (yeah, she stopped by the station) and some other guys reminiscing while i was stuck in traffic earlier today.

from here

The alternative music station DWNU 107.5 (or NU107, also called the Home of NU Rock), will reportedly be closing down by the end of the year to make room for more mainstream programming under new management.

Rumors had been circulating since early October that the station’s owner Atom Henares had already sold his shares of the Progressive Broadcast Corporation (the network that operates NU 107.5).

According to the Manila Bulletin, the reported closing was part of the trend noted by industry prognosticators of “high-end, niche-market radio stations” being replaced by stations that cater to a more “mass market audience.”

It was only yesterday that the report was seemingly confirmed by NU107’s Noos Goose jaeDee, who write in the blog Adventures of a Beauty Queen that, “The one and only rock station in town [NU 107] will soon be the Home of NO ROCK!”

“That’s right, I’ve received information from three reliable sources, all part of NU107′s inner circle, that the radio station will finally say goodbye to its rock image and shift to a ‘masa’ pop sound under new management,” she said. “The reason for the image change was reportedly a financial decision on the owners’ part.”

“The transformation won’t be overnight though,” she added. “According to one of my sources, starting this November the NU107 jocks will start slipping in music that will assail the senses any decent rocker.”

“By January 2011, my source claims, the transformation will be complete and so will be the demise of NU107 The Home of New Rock. So I guess this is going to be the News Goose’s last report,” she said. “I’m not too sad though… it’ll take more than just the closure of one rock station to stop Manila’s rock community from moving on!”

NU107 has been playing new wave and rock songs since the 1980’s. It was also instrumental in popularizing local artists and musicians like The Dawn, Identity Crisis, the Eraserheads, Parokya Ni Edgar, P.O.T., Wolfgang, Razorback, Urbandub and others.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    typo pala title ko

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I don't listen much to radio anymore, but I remember during my schooling days that I used to listen to them most of the time.

Stupid decision, IMO. Business-wise, they have a lot of competition in the "stupidly corny masa joke radio" category.

But really, replacing a unique identity with more overplayed has-beens, stupid/corny jokes and tag lines, and DJ's who squeak like laughing hyenas?

Bah.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually NU will be signinng off at 11:59 PM this sunday. I thinks there's a program for the last hour, current and former DJ's will be there with some bands.

nag bigay na rin ng message yung ibang DJ nung last rock awards.
    Last edited by flakez; November 5th, 2010 at 06:02 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    nauna na nagpalit ang LA 105... tsk! sayang.... commercialized na talaga ang music industry natin.... wala na magcacater sa mga pausbong na mga bandang pinoy....

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    can't make money with rock when everyone listens to lady gaga and justin bieber and katy pery

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When XB102 closed, the nearest type of radio station was NU107. NU's format was good in the 80s and 90s. come 2000, parang pilit na ang radio station, playing B-sides of unknown bands, taking the risk that they will make a name in the future. They kept their heads up by playing great pinoy rock, but in the end it won't be enough.

Funny, Its been a while i've tuned in into NU and when i surfed radio stations on my morning drive to work, I heard NU playing System of a Down. I stuck to it this morning.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^I believe it's more on the the DJ's. I mean, ang gusto ng tao ngayon is yung mga masa DJ's. yung katulad nung maingay na babae na may kasamang bakla ata yung sa isang radio station. yung tipong talk show na, hindi na music ang pinapakinggan ngayon. almost lahat ng malakas na station lahat may ganyan. hehehe.

kahit mag pop music pa sila hindi rin sila mag susurvive just like 92.3. puro conio DJ's with the exception of the brewrats. hehehe.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    can't make money with rock when everyone listens to lady gaga and justin bieber and katy pery
    yep i agree, kaya nga yun ibang musician na kilala ko napilitan "magbakya" para lang kumita ng pera.....

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Just curious, how do the mainstay non-palengkera stations like Magic and RX fare against Love Radio or Energy FM?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Radio: NU 107, the home on NO rock by new year.