New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    NASA beams Beatles tune 'Across the Universe'

Agence France-Presse
    First Posted 08:58:00 02/02/2008

WASHINGTON -- NASA said Friday it will beam The Beatles' tune "Across the Universe" to the North Star next week to celebrate the British pop group's and the US space agency's 50th anniversaries.
    The broadcast will start at 0000 GMT Tuesday and will travel toward the Little Dipper constellation's brightest star at the speed of light, or 307,000 kilometers (186,000 miles) per second, NASA said in a statement.
    The North Star is 431 light years from Earth, meaning that "Across the Universe" will take as many years to reach it.
    The transmission over NASA's Deep Space Network will commemorate the 40th anniversary of the day The Beatles recorded the song, as well as the 50th anniversary of NASA's founding and The Beatles' beginnings, said NASA, many of whose founders and engineers are avid fans of the Fab Four.
    Two other anniversaries also are being honored by the broadcast: the launch 50 years ago this week of Explorer 1, the first US satellite, and the founding 45 years ago of the Deep Space Network, an international network of antennas that supports missions to explore the universe, NASA said.
    Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney welcomed the space launching of the song, which was written by John Lennon, the Beatle shot dead in New York City in 1980.
    "Amazing! Well done, NASA!" he said in a message on NASA's website. "Send my love to the aliens. All the best, Paul."
    John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, said also in a statement the transmission would mark "the beginning of the new age in which we will communicate with billions of planets across the universe."
    It is not the first time the National Aeronautics and Space Administration has used music by The Beatles. In November 2005, McCartney sang "Good Day Sunshine" at a live concert beamed up to the International Space Station.
    NASA has also used several Beatles tunes to wake up space shuttle crews while in orbit.
    For the February 4 celebration, NASA has invited people around the world to play "Across the Universe" on their audio systems at the same time NASA beams its version into outer space.
    Some top NASA scientists and engineers involved in the effort are big Beatles fans.
    "I've been a Beatles fan for 45 years -- as long as the Deep Space Network has been around," said Barry Geldzahler, the network's program executive at NASA Headquarters in Washington.
    "What a joy, especially considering that 'Across the Universe' is my personal favorite Beatles song," he added.

Source: www.inquirer.net
    Feb. 02, 2008

Ngayon pa lang magstart ang Beatlemania sa outer space

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Across The Universe - The Beatles

Words are flowing out like
    endless rain into a paper cup
    They slither while they pass
    They slip away across the universe
    Pools of sorrow waves of joy
    are drifting thorough my open mind
    Possessing and caressing me

Jai guru deva om
    Nothing's gonna change my world

Images of broken light which
    dance before me like a million eyes
    That call me on and on across the universe
    Thoughts meander like a
    restless wind inside a letter box
    they tumble blindly as
    they make their way across the universe

Jai guru deva om

Sounds of laughter shades of life
    are ringing through my open ears
    exciting and inviting me
    Limitless undying love which
    shines around me like a million suns
    It calls me on and on across the universe

Jai guru deva om
    Jai guru deva
    Jai guru deva
    from wikipedia:

Composition

One night in 1967, the phrase "words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup" came to Lennon after hearing his then-wife Cynthia, according to Lennon, "going on and on about something". Later, after "she'd gone to sleep-- and I kept hearing these words over and over, flowing like an endless stream", Lennon "went downstairs and it turned into sort of a cosmic song". He began to write the rest of the lyrics and when he was done, he went to bed and forgot about them.

In the morning, Lennon found the paper on which he had written the lyrics and brought them down to his piano, where he began to play chords, and find pitches to match the words. The flavor of the song was heavily influenced by Lennon's and The Beatles' short-lived interest in Transcendental Meditation in late 1967–early 1968, when the song was composed. Based on this he added the mantra "Jai guru deva om" to the piece, which became the link to the chorus. The Sanskrit phrase is a sentence fragment whose words roughly translate to "salutations to the guru", then the mystic syllable om.

The structure of the lyrics is straightforward: three repetitions of a unit consisting of a verse, the line "Jai guru deva om", and the line "Nothing's gonna change my world" repeated four times. The lyrics are highly image-based, with abstract concepts reified with phrases like thoughts "meandering", words "slithering", and undying love "shining". The title phrase "across the universe" appears at intervals to finish lines, although interestingly it never cadences, always appearing as a rising figure, melodically unresolved.

In his 1970 interview with Rolling Stone Magazine, Lennon referred to the song as perhaps the best, most poetic lyric he ever wrote.
    OT: Regarding the last statement, I'd still the say the song should be "In My Life"....

5202:threadmil:
    Last edited by CVT; February 2nd, 2008 at 01:54 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

from wikipedia:

OT: Regarding the last statement, I'd still the say the song should be "In My Life"....

5202:threadmil:
    Oo nga, maganda ang lyrics ng 'In my life', dapat kasama rin yan pati 'Twist & shout' para mapa shake shake naman mga Aliens

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ayuszzz un ah, d kaya DJ ang head ng NASA?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    all our radio communications (TV/Radio/Cellfone/COmputer) are all beamed across the universe...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Available now on record bars is the OST of the 'Across the Universe' movie. Beatles songs sung by various artists; I think one track was sung by Bono.

NASA beams Beatles tune 'Across the Universe'!