New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    I'm a newbie to cars in general. I havent been interested in cars although my family had a few back in the day. My appreciation to the car was just the "hatid-sundo" kind of ride. I never actually really cared about cars (since i was into other things when i was growing up) until now when my company will be giving me my own car as an incentive.

I've been reading through the threads and I'm amazed of all the car owners and enthusiasts who really love their cars. I'm truly inspired. That is why I want to go through the process on how to shop for a car, although i'm already decided on getting a Mazda 3 1.6L V sedan. With this, i need help on some very basic (noob) concerns:
    1. Dealer Aftersales - ive already visited the Mazda dealer in Makati. I was totally clueless what to ask other than the basic features of a car. I let the SA do the talking. The sales pitch was very nice and pleasant but what im also interested in is the aftersales service. I heard that Greenhills and Makati dealers are rivals. I just want to know from the Mazda owners which dealer they like best (sales and aftersales) and which dealer do they recommend?
    2. Freebies - What are the basic/standard accessories or freebies that come with the package (included in the quote)? Should i haggle for more? If so, what other free items do you think i can get (other than the discounts)? Per my SA, i only get 10 liters gas-in upon delivery (not the full tank as some have experienced) since he said the gas fill-up is charged to him or to the SAs.
    3. What items or features do i need to check before i acknowledge/receive/take possession of the car from the dealer? Although i read this link from a forum (http://www.theintarweb.org/cars/NewCarChecklist.pdf) but its too anal.
    4. Any other things i need to consider. Would really appreciate all your inputs and recommendations.
    Be well.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    If I was in the market for a new car in that class, I would wait for the new Mazda 3 or just get the new Lancer or Corolla. The current Mazda 3 has been available for sometime unless you're getting a great deal then go for it.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Just got my Mazda3 one month ago, and the first thing I did was to get the lowest quotes from GH, QA and Makati. QA gave me the best deal in terms of discount (biggest), so I got the unit from them. Plates took me exactly 3 weeks which was not bad. Freebies were 3M tint which they installed pretty good, seatcover, 3rd party TPL insurance and LTO registration. Sales people in QA are friendly but showroom and customer lounge are cramped.

Aftersales, then Makati will come number 1 based on owner experience. You can go to the Mazda3 forum for more inputs. GH and QA are full of horror stories that I would opt to check other dealers for my PMS.

I can recommend you an agent in QA, just PM me for details.

good luck.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    *work - Thanks for the advise. appreciate it. However, the new Mazda will be released on 2010 pa daw. If ever they release a 2009 model, it will just be an improved/upgraded version of the existing--I think this is a common practice in the industry. I think I wont be able to wait that long also. Super excited din kasi ako. hehe.

*BlueJazz - I already had a very nice quote from Mazda Makati which im already comfortable with. However, i will try to ask QA also for a quote. I'm quite hesitant though dealing with GH, coz like you said of the "horror stories." Per the SA in Makati, LTO registration will just take 1 week, and they can already deliver the unit if i wanted (plates to follow). They will also throw in free parking/backup sensors, 3M (magic) tint, tailpipe finisher among other things...

ang hirap pala bumili ng auto... dami mo iconsider... sabagay, for the cashout that you will be giving away requires you to make a wise and sound decision...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Fixed ka na ba sa Mazda? It's really not wise buying a car in its Model end life cycle year. Did you try look at the Honda Civic 1.8V or S trim?

The 1.6V engine for the Mazda3 is too underpowered for a body of 1300 kgs Thats the biggest achilles heels of the 3 -- not very good FC. My attitude is somewhat wait for the next model. If you get a Honda Civic FD now in 3 years you can count on the Civic's better resale value and switch to the 2010 Mazda 3 should it prove to be a better car by 2011. Not bad if your changing cars every 3-4 yrs like me.

So for me Honda muna now Mazda later (IF the next "3" proves to be a better car).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmm. the mazda3 is already expensive in its class considering its quite older.
    since the costs is quite equal to the new altis and the civic, why not consider these cars also?

imho, medyo mataas pa ng onti yung lancer.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I just got my Mazda3 for more than a month now. I can say if you have other options better not buy 1.6L. ahhhh bitin ako sa arangkada hangang ngyon nag sisi pa rin ako. At parang hirap talaga pag may sakay kang 3 . better read my other post inquiry in this forum.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    No contest, Mazda 3 1.6 will be slower and is at the end of its model cycle, but I still chose it over the Civic and Lancer. Reason is:

1. Retails for 819k, but discount is really big. Helps on the depreciation.

2. FC is relative to your driving. I get 8-9km/liter and its not bad for a heavy car. Wala pang CAI yan which will improve it by another 1-2km/liter. I get 10-11km/liter on my Honda Jazz, and its really not worth the savings on my Jazz when I can drive the Mazda3 which is way more comfortable, more quite, more stable, better sound system and so much fun to drive. My friends who own a Civic 1.8 is cursing why they get 9km/liter when their SA were telling them they can get 10-11. Civic also does not corner well on fast speeds, matagtag, hard seats and A/T shift shock is bad.

3. I drive mostly on the city, so don't care if it goes 0-100 in 15sec. With the traffic, can't even get to 80km even if I wanted to.

4. Civic dash board is weird. Cant get used to it even if I drove my friends Civic for a week.

At the end, it just a matter of personal preference. Test drive the vehicle 2 or 3 times and you will know what you want.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJazz View Post

4. Civic dash board is weird. Cant get used to it even if I drove my friends Civic for a week.

I think it's because you can't see the hood. I've heard of a couple of friends scratching their FDs in really tight basement parking facilities because of this. It's a great car, but this is one reason i wouldn't trade my 3 for one.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJazz View Post
    No contest, Mazda 3 1.6 will be slower and is at the end of its model cycle, but I still chose it over the Civic and Lancer. Reason is:

1. Retails for 819k, but discount is really big. Helps on the depreciation.

2. FC is relative to your driving. I get 8-9km/liter and its not bad for a heavy car. Wala pang CAI yan which will improve it by another 1-2km/liter. I get 10-11km/liter on my Honda Jazz, and its really not worth the savings on my Jazz when I can drive the Mazda3 which is way more comfortable, more quite, more stable, better sound system and so much fun to drive. My friends who own a Civic 1.8 is cursing why they get 9km/liter when their SA were telling them they can get 10-11. Civic also does not corner well on fast speeds, matagtag, hard seats and A/T shift shock is bad.

3. I drive mostly on the city, so don't care if it goes 0-100 in 15sec. With the traffic, can't even get to 80km even if I wanted to.

At the end, it just a matter of personal preference. Test drive the vehicle 2 or 3 times and you will know what you want.

It's good to hear a dissenting opinion. All the more you get a better view of things in coming up with a purchase decision. To me 9km/Li is not that bad considering the Civic's a/c is much cooler than the Mazda's.

Ive had the 2.0Li Mazda 3 with moon roof. All I can say is maintenance wise it's expensive. view of the dashboard of the civic is fine as I am 5'8" tall and I have no problems seeing. Even at a 2.0 engine, you will feel at first that mazda is an underpowered car for its weight. That's why it is best not to buy it now where you'll be stuck with it for the next 3 yrs.

For the honda FC I have friends who get 10-11 and those who get 8-9. This is extremely based on driving habits and the time you drive. Early birds usually end up with better FC numbers.

One thing to note about Mazda vs Honda is the power to weight ratio. Evidently a 1.6L engine carrying 1300kgs is too underpowered compared to a 1.8L engine carrying only 1205kgs.

Mazda is the best for single user drivers while Civic will have no problems carrying the family.

SRP for the Civic 1.8S is 899K while the 1.6V Mazda 3 is 864++k even at 20k discount for the mazda the extra 50k is well worth it (bawi mo yon sa resale). I'm predicting that depreciation for the 3 will be big when the 2010 mazda3 comes out. Perhaps old 2004 1.6 models will sell at 350k plus minus.

As for the AT shift shock and hard seats... Let's see how the MMC Civic for 2009 will address that. Most of the problems you mentioned can be fixed by casa if im not mistaken.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast