Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Cars:

1.6 Hatch

2.0R

The Press Release:
    THE NEW MAZDA3: THRILL X3

They say everything comes in threes, which is especially great when it comes to the Mazda3! Coinciding with its third anniversary in the Philippines, the New Mazda3 was recently launched, multiplying the thrill with over 100 enhancements that improve driving dynamics, design, craftsmanship, packaging and safety features.

“This year marks the Mazda3’s third anniversary in the Philippines,” said Gerardo Alejandro, Mazda Philippines Managing Director. “We are confident that the third vehicle we introduced in this country 3 years ago, which is the Mazda3, will continue to delight our customers, who enjoy zooming in this cool, compact car,” he added.

A cool cat

You can’t miss the New Mazda3’s High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Auto-Headlamps – these are not only bright, they give the face of the car a fresh look. And when you flip to the other side of the vehicle, you’ll also admire the new rear combination Light-emitting diode (LED) lamps. It also has a bootlid recess, which gives an easier fit for the hand when opening the trunk.

The New Mazda3 shows off new front and rear bumpers, and its new front grille gives it a curvier and more striking look. You will roll in style too, thanks to the class-leading 17-inch wheels, which were re-designed across all the models.

Inside the New Mazda3, the new white instrument meter gives it a clean look, and the steering wheel audio controls enhance the sporty, sophisticated drive.

The emotion of motion

The New Mazda3’s driving dynamics include S-VT and VIS, Electronic Throttle Control, Activematic Transmission, Enhanced Sport-Tuned Suspension and Improved Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) Insulation. But for the average person, what do these features really mean?

Sequential Valve Timing (S-VT) and Variable Intake System (VIS) give you optimum power delivery, fuel economy, and emission performance since it controls intake air volume corresponding to engine operation conditions. The engine’s Electronic Throttle Control also enhances acceleration feel.

The Enhanced Sport-Tuned Suspension includes MacPherson-strut front suspension, which gives sharper steering response at fast cornering and smoother, more stable roll control and a flat ride, and the E-type multi-link rear suspension, which provides higher stability during high speed cornering, substantial damping force even with very short strokes and maximizes the stabilizer effect.

The 2007 Mazda3 also features Improved NVH, which substantially reduces noise coming from the engine, generator, road and wind as well as the droning sound.

While it’s pretty obvious it’s thrill x3, hop into the 2007 Mazda3 and experience the emotion of motion for yourself – it certainly doesn’t hurt that it looks hot too!
    Personal Notes:

It doesn't look vastly different, but there are enough tweaks to make it look fresh. There's talk of 100 changes, but aside from the mags and lights, they're all quite subtle. The fact that the hatch keeps the old foglights further differentiates it from the rest of the line-up (as if the different hoodline weren't enough indication). What's weird is that the 1.6 Sedan in the literature also has the old foglights, but the 1.6 Sedan on display has the sharp new rectangular fogs. One notable deletion is that the new 2.0 doesn't have an extended bumper anymore. Which is just as well, the extended bumper didn't flow with the lines well on certain colored cars, but it makes the 2.0 look a little plainer and frumpier.

I particularly like the new foglights and rear LEDs (though the old rear tail-lamps were already perfect). I'm unsure of whether the new, thicker, steering wheel is any better, and any other impressions need to be verified by road-testing and a side-by-side comparison with the old one first. The 2.0 is still claimed at 145 hp... we were hoping for an even 150 hp or more, but the important thing is how it'll feel on the road. With the transmission still the same old 4-speed AT, though, it'll probably feel the same... with maybe a bit more midrange push. There's speculation on a 2.3 or a Mazdaspeed coming in (no committed comments from the Mazda people on this), but at this point, even throwing us a small bone in the form of a 5 speed manual transmission would be welcome.

Even without the suspension tweaks, the Mazda3 was the sportiest handling compact car on the local market (the sportiest decently priced one, I mean). With further tweaks, it should maintain that lead. I can't wait to test drive the new 2.0R. Those 205mm wide Potenzas it comes on look potent for stock tires.

From the press release and literature, prices haven't changed that much, thankfully.

Now, where's my manual transmission, again?

[size=1]EDIT[/size]

Launch Notes:

It's kind of weird to have a launch for a car which is already in stock and on-display at certain dealerships. The hour was really late, the bar was crowded, and traffic was bad... but they served some nice food, so I'll digress... thanks for the food, Mazda. ;)

Nice commercials and audio-visual presentation. We were shown the new Mazda3 commercial (very zoom-zoomy, as expected), and the US Mazda Corporate commercial... very beautifully done. If I can find a copy of that one online, I'll post it. The AV presentation was a bit bombastic, a bit corny, but reasonably well-done. "3volution" was a term they ought to have reserved for the next-generation Mazda3, but I guess they couldn't resist the temptation to use it...
    Last edited by niky; June 8th, 2007 at 03:27 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Niky, eto ba yung sa Yakal st. kahapon

I like the shape/look of the old model.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    is mazda phils content with the sales of their present variant that they see no need to bring in manual transmission?

am wondering if there is enough pressure from the market for a manual trans or maybe the number just dont add up to justify its entry here?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    It's probably the trend now; today's drivers are becoming even less inclined to drive stick shifts.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Mazda3 is cool car in our days. New design. cool.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    1.6 sedan/hatch how much kaya?...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I like the cleaner lines of the refreshed Mazda3... and like the Mazda6, most of the upgrades were made underneath the sheetmetal.

Plus, the 2.0L now has S-VT (variable timing), pushing output from 140 to 150hp.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Unfortunately, a few horses went missing in the publicity literature. The gain is only from 140 - 145 hp. I talked to someone (sikwet) who'd already driven the 2.0 upgrade... no discernible difference daw.

Unfortunately for the stick haters, fuel economy will never be the slushbox's strong point. Though the numbers coming in from 1.6 AT owners once they're past break-in is encouraging, a 1.6 MT would have made the Mazda3 a best-in-class buy... and cheaper, too.

BTW, here's the corporate "Zoom Zoom" commercial... very nice. http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...meter=zoomMain
    Last edited by niky; June 8th, 2007 at 06:49 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    sarap siguro ihataw ng manual nyan... sa canada may manual... kelan kaya dito... haaay

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    sir *niky bale ano ba talaga bago ngaun dyan

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Mazda3 2007 Model Update now out!