New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    "Mazda is America's Most Fuel Efficient Car Maker, Again...."
    ctvnews.ca

Who needs hybrids to hit higher fuel economy targets? For the fourth year running, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared Mazda the most fuel efficient auto manufacturer in America. Its current eight-model vehicle range -- from the drop-top two-seat MX-5 Miata to its flagship seven-seat CX-9 crossover -- boast a fleet-wide average fuel economy of 29.6 MPG and it's all down to clever engineering of traditional internal combustion engines and the stripping of extra weight from body panels, rather than adding battery packs or moving into full plug-in electric vehicle market.

"Mazda's team of engineers and designers have worked diligently to create vehicles that are high-quality, stylish, fun-to-drive and fuel-efficient," said Masahiro Moro, president and CEO, Mazda North American Operations.

According to the EPA, of the country's 12 biggest car companies (sales of 100,000 per year or more are required to make it on the list -- hence no Tesla), the overall trend across the industry is decreased CO2 emissions and higher fuel economy.

The average new car in the US now achieves a record 24.8mpg. All of the biggest car companies have met or exceeded the 2015 model year CO2 emissions standards by an average of 7g/CO2 per mile. What's more, eight car companies have managed to better that record 24.8mpg fuel economy average.

Honda's efficiency over the past 12 months has jumped to 28.9mpg, putting the marque in second place despite having a much larger fleet of vehicles than Mazda, including pickup trucks. However, it also has hybrids in its range helping to keep average fuel consumption down.

But the company that made hybrids fashionable, Toyota, finds itself down in eighth place with a 25.2mpg average behind BMW (26.3mpg) in seventh but well ahead of Mercedes (23.5mpg) in ninth place.

The least economical car company in this year's report is the Fiat Chrysler Group (21.8mpg) but, as the EPA notes, it is also the most improved company, cutting CO2 emissions by a huge 21% over the past 12 months and boosting fuel economy by a full 1%.

Since the National Greenhouse Gas and Fuel Economy standards for passenger vehicles were introduced in 2012, average fuel economy has improved by over 2mpg and CO2 emissions have fallen by as much as 10%. The EPA notes that it has seen improvements in every vehicle class from sportscars to SUV and pickup truck as well as sedans and mini vans.

"Car buyers can go to the showroom knowing that no matter what kind of vehicle they buy, it will be better for the climate -- and their wallets -- than ever before," said Christopher Grundler, director of EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality. "The industry is providing vehicles that customers want, while reaching new levels of environmental performance."

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015

3. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    whatever one saves from being fuel efficient will just go to the expensive deep cycle battery used by modern mazdas. Deep cycle battery around P15k with only 1 year warranty. Fuel saving won't even be enough to buy the battery.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    That's true...but iStop is more meant for the environment & bringing down emissions.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by candyman View Post
    whatever one saves from being fuel efficient will just go to the expensive deep cycle battery used by modern mazdas. Deep cycle battery around P15k with only 1 year warranty. Fuel saving won't even be enough to buy the battery.
    A few Mazda 3 club members have used Amaron battery that they say is compatible with Mazda's istop. It's less than P5k & 2 years warranty I think.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsmobile View Post
    A few Mazda 3 club members have used Amaron battery that they say is compatible with Mazda's istop. It's less than P5k & 2 years warranty I think.
    i-Stop needs a deep-cycle battery. A regular car battery will not cut it.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    The ideal Start/Stop & Regenerative Braking batteries are the Absorbent Glass Mat ones or AGM. They're also specified as Q85, not your regular deep cycle batt. These are pricey. Below the AGMs are the Enhanced Flooded Batts or EFB.
    Look at specifications more than just batt brands. Panasonic CAOS PRO has a Q85 1, but Panasonic Ph doesn't import em.
    I've been in contact w/ batt suppliers to get better Q85s in. Soon...once word of stocks are in, updates will be shared.
    In the meanwhile, for those w/ iStop, please look into getting a Start/Stop Battery Maintainer that you can hook 24/7 or when needed. These can help extend your batt life. Good ones are about Php5k...like tge Swedish CTek. I've a bud who has a few coming. I can hook anyone interested directly. Email satravajante*gmail.com.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Once the Amaron distributor realizes their batts are on Start/Stop cars, I doubt they'd give out their 2yr warranty.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    ....., please look into getting a Start/Stop Battery Maintainer that you can hook 24/7 or when needed. These can help extend your batt life. Good ones are about Php5k...like tge Swedish CTek. I've a bud who has a few coming. I can hook anyone interested directly. Email satravajante*gmail.com.
    Sorry, medyo OT but have read and been interested with Ctek. Sir, Care to share your personal experience with Ctek (if any)? Real life personal testimonies would be great! (since using Ctek, how long has your battery been with you?)

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Sorry, medyo OT but have read and been interested with Ctek. Sir, Care to share your personal experience with Ctek (if any)? Real life personal testimonies would be great! (since using Ctek, how long has your battery been with you?)
    My Ms are non iStop Skyactivs, sir. What I have is an old reliable...Deltran Batt Tender. It's great for non-Q85s. Really extends the life of my regular locally available batts.
    Why I mentioned the Swedish CTek? Our principal batt distributorship swears by em...their CTEK equipments do more than other brands. They're OE certified, too. Plus, they have a specific model for Start/Stop batts....
    Now, lemme give the floor to Jay...
    Jay Leno talks about CTEK battery chargers - YouTube

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Ms are non iStop Skyactivs, sir. What I have is an old reliable...Deltran Batt Tender. It's great for non-Q85s. Really extends the life of my regular locally available batts.
    Why I mentioned the Swedish CTek? Our principal batt distributorship swears by em...their CTEK equipments do more than other brands. They're OE certified, too. Plus, they have a specific model for Start/Stop batts....
    Now, lemme give the floor to Jay...
    Jay Leno talks about CTEK battery chargers - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast