New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the reply. Yes maybe that was the 1998 model i saw labeled as 99. Mukhang ok naman pala 7km/l is on the high side but not a show stopper.

How about service? Pano kung di na kaya ng mga talyer ang problema? Like pano kung yung speed-sensitive power steering nagkaproblema, san pwede dalin?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa WHEELS ata di b?
    mazda-mazda, paging..hehe:D

ako din parang gusto ko trade in civic esi ko sa mazda speed.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hey there yojimbo, it's nice to know that there are still ppl intersted in the old mazdas...

low resale? it is not because of poor performance but because of image projection. whilst the hondas was able to produce the image of exclusivity, toyotas for their reliability / cheap parts, nissan for their good aircon, etc... mazda's branding / marketing arm back then wasn't that good in that ballgame. sharing a showroom (in some dealerships) with kias and hyundais also didn't help.

best bang for the buck? the trim level of mazdas are pretty nice. my GLX came with all power (cept for antennas), 10 cd changer, 3rd brake lamp, fog lamps, 4W abs, 60/40 rear seat split, 6 way adjustable driver's seat. later models did include airbags. we got the GLX for around 500K in 1997 - as compare to a barebones LXI during that time.

gas mileage? am hitting around 7-8 km/L on the average, right now am doing around 8.5 km/L!!! it's all about experimenting with the right mods / fuel / lubricant. but the torque output is a notch above its 1.6L competitors.

performance? handling is a notch above a toyota corolla (the only other 1.6L that i've driven). clutch is a bit weird at first (especially for beginners) but you'll get used to it. i've driven it to around 175 kph in stock form. some of our protegetech members (with NA mods like adjustable cams) did hit around 195 kph in a NLEX run (giving a blown MR2 a run for its money).

parts? it is not a problem for most of us. there are around 2-3 shops in banawe that specializes in mazda and ford (i.e. karmelcon, fordland). price is not as cheap as a toyota but is definitely lower than a honda.

service center? with mazda reopening this month (located along q ave), you don't have to worry about it. also, there are existing authorized service centers for mazdas. among them are ford balintawak / q ave, signet balintawak, kia commonwealth, wheels e rod.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    yojimbo,

there's this place in Banawe, Kontact-Point. really big talyer, owned by the people who own Autorama (where I get all my mazda spare parts). i think they are equipped to handle most repairs.

EXCEPT those related to the ECU. i have an intermittent problem on my 626, probably a crank sensor inside the distributor, that no talyer wants to touch. and i'm too poor to go to Ford. so i'm looking for a surplus distributor. but by 626 is 10 years old, so it having some problems isn't surprising.

for the ECU -- go to Ford.
    it will cost more though.. kasi casa yun. ang manliliit ka, katabi ng mga Exped.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Yojimbo
    I'm shopping around for a used car and I came across a few mazda familias circa 1999. The price hovers around P250,000(matatawaran pa siguro) for such units.

My question is why the very low resale value? Is it a bargain to buy one or will it be an invitation for maintenance hell because from what I've heard, there are no service centers for mazda and hardly any parts available. How about the performance?

And is it the same thing for the mazda-derived lynx?
    its actually a bargain..value for money siya...service is not a problem..maraming casa ang nagseservice ng mazda..ford balintawak, ford quezon avenue, kia commonwealth, wheels, inc, signet balintawak..parts are very abundant in banawe IF you know where to buy..performance wise, imo, very good
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by orly_andico
    1999 familia?
    AFAIK that does not exist.

the last familia around was the 1998 1/2 (gen2.5) with the "gull wing" logo instead of the "candle flame."

250k for a 1998 1/2 is kinda cheap. but still not out of the question. mazda's are cheap because of

1) poor branding (think: Daewoo Nubira or Daewoo Racer)
    2) magastos sa gasolina

but sa (1) unlike the Daewoo's, mazda's are Japan cars, so no scary reliability issues. also parts aren't THAT hard to find, just go to Banawe. i have a 626 (*MUCH* rarer than a familia) but parts are still cheaper than for an accord.

sa tingin ko, purchased as new noong 1999 pero old model..like mine..purchased as new last 1999 pero 1997 model..

i agree with orly, panget pag market ng mazda dati :mad:
    Got Mazda?-http://www.MAZDAtech.org [SIZE="1"]est. 2000[/SIZE]
    got mazda 2? -> mazda2ners

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Last edited by 323f; March 9th, 2004 at 08:21 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pa-advice naman please:

My uncle is selling me his Mazda Familia na 97mdl AT for a very low price. Almost nothing to fix and newly washed over ang paint.

Is this a good car when it comes to parts availability, durability, ride comfort?
    In terms of speed, i'm quite satisfied na coz we usually swap vehicles when he needs my pick-up for loading.

I also don't know much about AT maintenance...please advice po.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Owning one is a matter of knowing where to buy parts (it won't be as widely available if compared to a Toyota).

We used to have one and the pros were: performance (good handling and engine power) and space. The most notable problem we had with our was the a/t tranny which gave way at around 40,000km for no apparent reason (overhaul and abot) and after that, the car wasn't in that good a condition anymore (just drove differently na) so we sold it at a low price (another con... resale value).

On a/t maintainance, it's basically changing the ATF when required (usually 40K but we change ours every 20,000km) and using it properly (don't abuse it by shifting from n-d with the engine revving, etc.)...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Vinj,
    Salamat po. I'm really thinking about it because I'm after road comfort talaga. Nakakatakot naman yung experience mo about the tranny. Anyway, I'll test drive it this afternoon to feel the vehicle. Baka namimiss ko lang ang speed coz medyo bagal ang pick-up. hehe. Kaso when I think about the fuel consumption considering that I'm using a diesel ride now, mukhang malaking adjustment ang mangyayari if ever.

My pick-up is quite old na rin kasi and I'll have to weigh the condition of the mazda with that of my present ride.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Mazda 323 / Protege /  Familia [Merged]