Durability

2. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmetal View Post
    Reliability
    Ease of maintenance
    Durability
    Mazda 3 2009
    Apart from regular change oil and brake pads, tires the only parts changed that are not consumable are;

- Tail lights housing melted - I replaced with LED tail lights
    - Accessory /fan belt in 2015 around 60K km
    - Shocks front and rear in 2015 around 60K km
    - Engine support in 2016 around 68K km

All is fine and well until now around 74K km
    Parang bago parin takbo

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Long dead thread resurrection?How reliable is your mazda?
    July 2014 1.5M3 Sky
    Just Yojin3.....& a batt.
    Rides like new.How reliable is your mazda?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    1996 Mazda Familia
    Power steering rack and pinion problem - scratches on shaft, i removed the power steering belt to make it manual steering
    Need a replacement of the whole assembly...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    A good friend's 2014 Skyactiv BM3...Nothing but fun....

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Rasta View Post
    1996 Mazda Familia
    Power steering rack and pinion problem - scratches on shaft, i removed the power steering belt to make it manual steering
    Need a replacement of the whole assembly...
    You can do a tube loop on the rack to make manual steering liveable. Developed an R50/53-specific power steering delete kit thru a shop in the US years ago.....similar to what e30 & early gen MX5 guys do w/ theirs. The shop says it continues to sell well...here's a pic.

This kit loops the two banjo bolts to allow not only the residual fluid to pass from one side of the rack to the other, but also the air inside to flow freely. Without this pass-through, you will be compressing both the fluid & air inside your rack on each side when you turn the wheel, making it harder to steer, and eventually risking blowing out seals.
    Having no PSPump in an older car leaves you 1 thing less to worry about.How reliable is your mazda?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    You can do a tube loop on the rack to make manual steering liveable. Developed an R50/53-specific power steering delete kit thru a shop in the US years ago.....similar to what e30 & early gen MX5 guys do w/ theirs. The shop says it continues to sell well...here's a pic.

This kit loops the two banjo bolts to allow not only the residual fluid to pass from one side of the rack to the other, but also the air inside to flow freely. Without this pass-through, you will be compressing both the fluid & air inside your rack on each side when you turn the wheel, making it harder to steer, and eventually risking blowing out seals.
    Having no PSPump in an older car leaves you 1 thing less to worry about.How reliable is your mazda?

Developed an R50/53-specific power steering delete kit ...is there a specific name for this kit? is it available here in our locality? i don't know if our local mechanics here can do the loop...can you at least draw a diagram of how they will do it just in case...thanks for your help...i've been having a hard time looking for the rack and pinion...the only suggestion i've heard so far is to make the shafting hard chromed....

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Developed an R50/53-specific power steering delete kit ...is there a specific name for this kit? is it available here in our locality? i don't know if our local mechanics here can do the loop...can you at least draw a diagram of how they will do it just in case...thanks for your help...i've been having a hard time looking for the rack and pinion...the only suggestion i've heard so far is to make the shafting hard chromed....
    Just have your shop do a custom pump bypass tube w/ proper brass fittings to replace the banjo bolts. Idea is to make the fluid & air freely pass within the rack to eliminate internal pressure when you turn the wheel. The available custom delete kits I'm aware of are make & model specific for classic Bimmers, NA/NB Miatas, gen1 BMW MINIs.
    Here's a sample pic of a rack w/ deleted pump. The UHMW white plastic kit here eliminates the necessary loop tube you need to do as indicated by the arrow.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Just have your shop do a custom pump bypass tube w/ proper brass fittings to replace the banjo bolts. Idea is to make the fluid & air freely pass within the rack to eliminate internal pressure when you turn the wheel. The available custom delete kits I'm aware of are make & model specific for classic Bimmers, NA/NB Miatas, gen1 BMW MINIs.
    Here's a sample pic of a rack w/ deleted pump. The UHMW white plastic kit here eliminates the necessary loop tube you need to do as indicated by the arrow.

thank you for the help...i'll save the images as a last resort in case i really can't find a surplus or brand new rack and pinion for my car...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    thank you for the help...i'll save the images as a last resort in case i really can't find a surplus or brand new rack and pinion for my car...
    A good rack w/ the loop mod should make manual steering bearable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast