New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    You will be needing this tool for removing the oil filter. Thank you *ninjababez, for giving this to me.

A ratchet with an extension bar.

A plastic for "catching the oil filter". I got this technique from [USER=117577]*tickerguy[/USER].

A funnel so that you avoid spilling oil.

A catch basin. I recommend this one with a spout. Pouring the used oil to secure it is a breeze.

And of course, your favorite oil. Make sure that the oil is as specified in the owner's manual.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Lift the car.

DIY: - How to Lift All Four Wheels - Mazda 6 218 - SUPER EASY | Mazda 6 Forums

Remove the cover to expose the drain plug and oil filter.

Place the catch basin under the drain plug. For a Fumoto valve, remove the lock. Then push the lever and twist. The oil will now drain. For a drain plug, use an appropriate sized wrench to open it.

Wait for the oil to drain out.

Place the plastic bag on the oil filter. This will catch the oil as you remove the filter.

Use the tool, together with the ratchet and extension bar, to remove the oil filter.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Once removed, clean the surface making sure that no gasket or O-ring is left behind.

Slowly remove the catch basin. Put it somewhere where it won't be toppled.

Install the new oil filter.

Close the drain valve and put back the lock. This should be an opportunity for you to install a Fumoto valve. Otherwise, put back the drain plug. Do not put back the cover yet.

Remove the oil cap and pour the new oil. I forgot to use the funnel. Follow the owner's manual for the correct volume of oil.

Put back the oil cap.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Run the engine in idle for about 5 minutes, then turn it off. Check the oil after a while, making sure that you have the correct oil level in your dipstick.

The image above is the oil level at 5 liters. After running the engine, the oil became dark and the level became like this.

I added 100 mL of oil. This confirms that the total volume needed is 5.1 L for the 2018 diesel model. I misplaced my owner's manual. I'll post it once I find it.

Also check that there's no leak on the oil filter.

Once you have confirmed that there's no oil leak, you can now put back the cover underneath.

That's it! You have successfully changed the engine oil.

Take note that I lifted the car, all four wheels. It is because I also cleaned the brakes as it is recommended that you do it every oil change. If you just lifted the front, then make sure to put down the car before you pour the new oil.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Finally, you need to reset the oil change reminder. Do that in the infotainment system.

This won't be enough, you also need to reset the oil change reminder from the dashboard.

Press and hold the dimmer switch.

Turn the ignition ON by pressing the start button twice. Make sure that you are not depressing the brake pedal.

Wait for the warning icon, encircled, to flash repeatedly until it disappears.

That's it! You have fully reset the oil change interval.

And there you have it! You successfully changed the oil and did the reset for the oil change reminder.

One final note is, transfer the used oil to the container. Dispose it properly.

If I missed anything, let me know and I'll add that.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    [emoji120][emoji122][emoji108][emoji106]Bow & salute!!!![emoji120][emoji122][emoji108][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tsikot Forums mobile app

7. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    1) Container underneath the oil drain pan for approx 4 liters (Depende sa volume ng makina mo baka need for 6 liters);
    2) Wrench to take off oli drain nut;
    3) New Oil filter (OEM kinukuha ko, price diff is minimal to replacement);
    4) New oil (3-6 liters depende sa makina)
    6) Oil filter wrench (in a pinch, pako to drive into the old oil filter -messy though);

• Drain old oil. Replace old oil drin nut with new washer gasket.
    • Remove oil filter (old)
    • Lubricate gasket of new oil filter with some new oil
    • Twist on new oil filter
    • Pour in new oil
    • Start engine & check for leaks sa oil filter
    • Check dipstick for proper amount of oil- do NOT overfill, preferably tama lang sa full mark, & remember, some of the oil gois into the new oil filter lang, basta nasa up to full and below low marks, ok na.
    • Dispose of old oil in a proper disposal facility (remember, carcinogenic ang old oil)

8. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Curious lang, Sir, your unit is 2018.
    Covered rin ba 'to sa 5-Year warranty ng Mazda, including parts and labor? If yes, why choose to DIY? Thanks.

Sent from my CPH1911 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask Rider Blac View Post
    Curious lang, Sir, your unit is 2018.
    Covered rin ba 'to sa 5-Year warranty ng Mazda, including parts and labor? If yes, why choose to DIY? Thanks.
    Malamang para sure na done properly.
    Iba kung ang ginagawang oto ay iyo.

Dati parang ganito pala gamit ko. Oil filter cap wrench adapter.

Wrench Auto Tool 1/2 Square Drive 65Mm 67Mm 74Mm End Cap Oil Filter Wrench Auto Hand Tools Remover | Lazada PH

10. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    1) Container underneath the oil drain pan for approx 4 liters (Depende sa volume ng makina mo baka need for 6 liters);
    2) Wrench to take off oli drain nut;
    3) New Oil filter (OEM kinukuha ko, price diff is minimal to replacement);
    4) New oil (3-6 liters depende sa makina)
    6) Oil filter wrench (in a pinch, pako to drive into the old oil filter -messy though);

• Drain old oil. Replace old oil drin nut with new washer gasket.
    • Remove oil filter (old)
    • Lubricate gasket of new oil filter with some new oil
    • Twist on new oil filter
    • Pour in new oil
    • Start engine & check for leaks sa oil filter
    • Check dipstick for proper amount of oil- do NOT overfill, preferably tama lang sa full mark, & remember, some of the oil gois into the new oil filter lang, basta nasa up to full and below low marks, ok na.
    • Dispose of old oil in a proper disposal facility (remember, carcinogenic ang old oil)
    Great summary! I forgot to lubricate the new oil filter. I'll do it next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast