New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    I bought this hood strut last October of 2021 for my Mazda 6 but it's only today that I had time to install it.

First thing to do is remove the... this one, I can't remember what is it called!

This will allow you to move around and insert this part.

Unfortunately, I can't move around without the risk of ripping the insulator/cover. So I decided to remove it. And besides, I want to justify buying this set. [emoji3]

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017

I took the opportunity to wipe what's behind the cover.

Now that the cover is removed, time to install this part. The orientation should be like this, it should be facing you when you insert this part.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017

I asked my son to use the flashlight so that I can see and align the holes.Then, insert this bolt with the washer.

Next, remove the nut here.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Then install this part.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit. I had to use a round file. The same thing with the washer. Once it fits, I installed it but realized that I need to flatten this portion first.

Once everything is done, simply insert (push) the hood strut.

Do the same thing on the other side and you are done!

Excellent work!!! That's what I said to myself until I saw the cover.

I forgot to put this thing back! And with that, I suggest you don't remove the cover so that you won't forget about it.

I hope removing the hood strut won't be much of a problem. And that will be my job tomorrow. Yes, no work for me tomorrow so I have time to tinker.

[emoji3]

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    curious,
    why they would use a shock tower retaining bolt, to hold the lower strut...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    curious,
    why they would use a shock tower retaining bolt, to hold the lower strut...
    Same question I got from *Wh1stler but I checked the other owners of Mazda 6 and that is where they also put it.

Someone also installed lift support for the trunk but I'm not sure if I want to do it also. I sometimes fill the trunk maximizing the space so I have to test if the arrangement is good by slowly closing the trunk and "feeling" it if it there will be obstructions. With the struts, I don't know if I can do that.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post

Someone also installed lift support for the trunk but I'm not sure if I want to do it also. I sometimes fill the trunk maximizing the space so I have to test if the arrangement is good by slowly closing the trunk and "feeling" it if it there will be obstructions. With the struts, I don't know if I can do that.
    isn't that trunk cover spring-loaded?
    my sedans' rear trunk covers are spring-loaded and do not need strut support to remain up...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Then install this part.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit. I had to use a round file. The same thing with the washer. Once it fits, I installed it but realized that I need to flatten this portion first.

Once everything is done, simply insert (push) the hood strut.

Do the same thing on the other side and you are done!

Excellent work!!! That's what I said to myself until I saw the cover.

I forgot to put this thing back! And with that, I suggest you don't remove the cover so that you won't forget about it.

I hope removing the hood strut won't be much of a problem. And that will be my job tomorrow. Yes, no work for me tomorrow so I have time to tinker.

[emoji3]
    Grats, brother Bossing!!![emoji120][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Grats, brother Bossing!!![emoji120][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Thanks! Good to know that you are still around. I'm sure you already have this little thing.

[emoji3]

10. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    isn't that trunk cover spring-loaded?
    my sedans' rear trunk covers are spring-loaded and do not need strut support to remain up...
    I should have clarified, it's the one with the auto close function. The one with a sensor where it will also open with a foot gesture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast