New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Hi everyone.

Posting here because the other one didn't get any replies at all. New to the forums. Wanted to ask for some advice regarding my 2017 Mazda CX-3 AWD's battery. It has served me well, but I believe its battery may need changing soon. I got it August 2017, so it is due. Been doing some reading across different forums about changing the battery of the car.

When I first got this, Mazda Alabang told me they've partnered up with Motolite to produce a special battery for its vehicles. I for one immediately call this BS marketing so I'll be forced to get a battery from them. Mazda customer care was quick to respond to my email earlier this morning. They said:

Thank you for your reaching out and we hope you are well.

The battery for your CX3 AWD is a special battery called Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB) and can only be purchased thru authorized dealers.
    I refuse to believe this, but if there is a genuine reason for this, I want to hear it. Also, will this cost an arm and a leg? I know standard batteries hover around 5k - 7K.

I have a few questions:

1. If I go for other brands of batteries (ex. Panasonic, Bosch, Optima), what do I stand to lose? Just the i-Stop system from engaging, right? What other brands should I look at (only ones that are locally available please)
    2. Any other Mazda owner (who has an i-Stop system in their car) willing to share their experience?
    3. I've read online about Q85 batteries and AGM batteries. Are these the types of batteries that will work with the i-Stop system?

Again, I really don't mind losing i-Stop functionality. I'm more concerned about the price-performance ratio and simple logic lol. I don't mind spending 6K or 7K every 2 years on the dot rather than spend 20K for a special battery that will need changing every 2 years and X months.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    It is recommended that you replace the battery with the same type, that is, EFB.

I'll admit, I "cheated" as I'm using an ordinary battery at the moment. It was given by my friend for free so I can't complain. She said she'll replace it with an EFB once she gets one.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    It is recommended that you replace the battery with the same type, that is, EFB.

I'll admit, I "cheated" as I'm using an ordinary battery at the moment. It was given by my friend for free so I can't complain. She said she'll replace it with an EFB once she gets one.
    Hey, thanks for the heads up! Yeah, this was the battery type Mazda told me about, but I immediately brushed it off as marketing. I checked Motolite's website, and they recommend the Excel 1SM. Is this different from the one Mazda was talking about? I thought they partnered up with Motolite for batteries in the local market, since they imported expensive ones before?

Pardon my ignorance to these things.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by the_secretary View Post
    Hey, thanks for the heads up! Yeah, this was the battery type Mazda told me about, but I immediately brushed it off as marketing. I checked Motolite's website, and they recommend the Excel 1SM. Is this different from the one Mazda was talking about? I thought they partnered up with Motolite for batteries in the local market, since they imported expensive ones before?

I was told that Mazda dropped Motolite. Going back to your question, as long as it's an EFB then you can go for it. Kindly confirm from them if it's​ an EFB. I've heard that an ordinary battery will work and I have confirmed it, I just don't know how long it will last.

I recommend a trickle charger like CTEK for your new battery. Unfortunately, Blade online doesn't have them right now and other stores are way overpriced.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by the_secretary View Post

Mazda had an exclusive deal w/ Motolite to provide them w/ EnhancedFloodedBatts for a while at lower cost. Quality wasn't up to other locally available EFBs from the likes of YUASA(current Mazda supplier), Delkor & Panasonic.
    The Motolite 1SM recommendation might be for the Facelifted CX3s 2018+ w/o iStop.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Mazda had an exclusive deal w/ Motolite to provide them w/ EnhancedFloodedBatts for a while at lower cost. Quality wasn't up to other locally available EFBs from the likes of YUASA(current Mazda supplier), Delkor & Panasonic.
    The Motolite 1SM recommendation might be for the Facelifted CX3s 2018+ w/o iStop.

what if you use an ordinary flooded battery, what will happen with i-stop feature? will the vehicle be able to "detect" that you are using an ordinary battery?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    what if you use an ordinary flooded battery, what will happen with i-stop feature? will the vehicle be able to "detect" that you are using an ordinary battery?
    In general....
    Batt dealers may void the nonEFB/AGM batt warranty on SSVs.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    In general....
    Batt dealers may void the nonEFB/AGM batt warranty on SSVs.

So it means cars with SSV charging system is different? And can cause premature failure of regular battery

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    So it means cars with SSV charging system is different? And can cause premature failure of regular battery
    They wouldn't have required EFBs & AGMs if regular flooded were enough. They have tested, of course...but you know us Pinoys.[emoji16]

10. Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Thank you everyone for very insightful comments. Mazda rep replied to my email and confirmed it was the EFB they're going to replace my battery with is Yuasa, but it costs a ridiculous 14,500. For that price, I am really tempted to go with other alternatives because at the end of the day, it's not like the Yuasa will last significantly longer than a Motolite.

I honestly don't use iStop anyway because I think it truly isn't built for Manila traffic jams. Other than motolite, are there any other brands that are more economical than the Yuasa? Somebody mentioned any type of EFB will be fine, right? Also, what is a trickle charger and how does it fit into the equation?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast