New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Guys question may sira daw yung catalyst system ng mazda3 ko mura na ba yung 9,500 (orig) tapos 3,500 labor

pag replacement nasa 5800

kasi naka ilaw na yung Check engine light ko

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Does it smell bad already? Hard to believe it, then again the sensors for it might be the culprit. Have or get a second opinion from speedlab or other casa.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Hi Bravo what does the catalyst system do? is it related to oxygen filter?

I sometimes smell fumes in my aircon. Is it related?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marv0083 View Post
    Hi Bravo what does the catalyst system do? is it related to oxygen filter?

I sometimes smell fumes in my aircon. Is it related?

the catalytic converter stores and releases oxygen by splitting the oxides of nitrogen into oxygen and nitrogen, it uses this now released oxygen atom to make carbon dioxide out of carbon monoxide. it also combines with the unburnt fuel to make carbon dioxide. the other hydrogen atoms from unburnt fuel combines with oxygen to make water that you notice coming out of the exhaust tail pipe when you first start the car's engine cold. in short, it scrubs the exhaust of pollutants like oxides of nitrogen, carbon monoxide and HC (hydrocarbons) or unburnt fuel. the result of such catalyst action yields in carbon dioxide, inert nitrogen and water.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; May 17th, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    how much does the oxygen sensor cost if you buy outside the casa?

oxygen censor #1 * Php 10,079
    oxygen censor #2 * Php 10,536

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marv0083 View Post
    Guys question may sira daw yung catalyst system ng mazda3 ko mura na ba yung 9,500 (orig) tapos 3,500 labor

pag replacement nasa 5800

kasi naka ilaw na yung Check engine light ko
    the MIL (malfunction indicator light) will illuminate when the powertrain control module senses engine operating conditions that will damage the catalytic converter. the catcon itself is not always the reason why the MIL turns on. this is usually the result of a misfire. the catcon can be damaged by lead (tetraethyl lead) in the gasoline, using form in place gasket (FIPG) sealant that contains silicone, prolonged misfire conditions, overloading the catcon with unburnt fuel and in rare cases, age. if it was the downstream oxygen sensor giving a voltage similar to or close to the upstream oxygen sensor, this means the catcon efficiency is bad, then the MIL will illuminate. check for the cause, maybe a misfire, sensor signal decay, miscalibrations, intake vacuum leaks, bad fuel or leaking fuel injectors

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010

catalyst system