New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Due to ever-persisting fuel price hike, I'm close to giving up on my Astina's b6 sohc carb engine. Time for a swap. Which is the best buy?

JDM efi engines

Z5 DOHC
    P37900.00 * kiaDOHC

B5 DOHC
    P65,000.00 * Blacksheep Autoworks

BP DOHC
    P?????.00 * ?????

BPT DOHC
    P?????.00 * ?????

B6 DOHC (Miata engine)
    P?????.00 * ?????

PHDM carb engines

B1 SOHC (Pride engine)
    P?????.00 * ?????

B3 SOHC (Gen 1 engine)
    P?????.00 * ?????

PHDM efi engines
    B6 DOHC (Gen 2 engine)
    P?????.00 * ?????

So far, my budget's best bets and value for money are the Z5 and B6 DOHC (phdm)... Patulong naman po yung mga need to know to dun sa mga ?????? ko...

Right now I'm torn between the Z5 and B6 DOHC (phdm).
    Alin po ba ang best swap for fuel economy gains pero hindi nakakahiya ang power?
    Although I know for power gains you have to compromise fuel economy.

Which engine is so-so lang for economy and power? b6 dohc?

Mazdatech.org newbie po ako.
    Sorry guys can't visit mazdatech.org that often blocked kasi dito sa office eh.
    Nakakapag log-in lang ako dun pag nasa bahay at libre yung laptop.
    Last edited by isa1023; April 19th, 2010 at 09:08 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The B6 DOHC from the Familia is a decent engine, but you'll want a Mazdaspeed one or at least one with a Mazdaspeed ECU if fuel economy is a concern, because the Mazdaspeed ECU is reflashed for better power and, consequently, gets better economy. Not really that economical, though.

For the prices quoted in your other thread, you can just go ahead and get a metered venturi kit (it'll cost less) that will reduce your fuel costs much more and much more effectively than a swap.

Want an FS-DE? 140 hp, 2.0. Never had problems with fuel economy on my stock FS... :hysterical:

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The B6 DOHC from the Familia is a decent engine, but you'll want a Mazdaspeed one or at least one with a Mazdaspeed ECU if fuel economy is a concern, because the Mazdaspeed ECU is reflashed for better power and, consequently, gets better economy. Not really that economical, though.
    If so, then maybe I would want a Z5 DOHC.

For the prices quoted in your other thread, you can just go ahead and get a metered venturi kit (it'll cost less) that will reduce your fuel costs much more and much more effectively than a swap.
    Never heard. Im new to carburetors. I'll research for that.

Want an FS-DE? 140 hp, 2.0. Never had problems with fuel economy on my stock FS... :hysterical:
    Stock? You mean even without the Unichip?

When price per liter hits past P45.00, fuel economy becomes a concern for me

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Z5 DOHC
    P37900.00 * kiaDOHC
    Backread mo lang thread ni kiadohc sa mazdatech and youll get the idea and general pricing for this including claimed fuel consumtion

B5 DOHC
    P65,000.00 * Blacksheep Autoworks
    I think this is to expensive, nandun din sa thread ni kiadohc

BP DOHC
    P?????.00 * ?????
    hehehehe hmmm power to weight ratio? panalo...youll spend around P45-60k max, 35k for engine, 10-15k for install and wiring and convertion to efi system, then add some more budget for miscellaneous items...fuel pump, fuel tank etc...

BPT DOHC
    P?????.00 * ?????
    assuming na may makukuha ka? 60k-100k up depends on what youll change and upgrade for the intercoolers, pipings etc...engine alone is around 50-60kish and nasa thread din ni kiadohc

B6 DOHC (Miata engine) nasa thread din ni kiadohc on how to convert this RWD to fit FWD cars
    P?????.00 * ?????

PHDM carb engines carb engines are easier and costwise more affordable to maintain....

B1 SOHC (Pride engine)
    P?????.00 * ?????

B3 SOHC (Gen 1 engine)
    P?????.00 * ?????
    around 8-10k, if possible get the B3 from a gen 2.5 of the year 97.5-2000

PHDM efi engines
    B6 DOHC (Gen 2 engine)
    around 8-12k and consumes 6-8km/l on average
    P?????.00 * ????? pero dami kasi factors...its been claimed sa forums na it can go up to 9km/l at city and 13km/l hiway

for me ang considerations ko for change engine is initial cost, cost of maintenance, availability of parts AND if youll be happy with its performance...

trust me been there done that....yung gusto mo na gawin mo para isang gastos na lang...read mo Z5 turbo ni kiadohc..nakaka inspire...pero i dont have a Z5 HTH

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by isa1023 View Post
    Never heard. Im new to carburetors. I'll research for that.
    It's an LPG kit for carbureted engines that is self adjusting, so it gives better economy than the regular taxi kit.

Stock? You mean even without the Unichip?
    Bone stock, highest I saw was 16 km/l on the NLEX... and around 8-10 km/l average in the city... daily average was around 10-12, mixed city/highway.

With my current mods, intake, exhaust, cams, cam-gears, chip... my average is about 6-7. Huuuuuuuge cams.

When price per liter hits past P45.00, fuel economy becomes a concern for me
    Which is why I went LPG. I save about 100-200 pesos per trip into the city. (at an average 80-90 kilometers per round trip).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

astina b6 sohc replacement: z5, b5, b6 dohc or bp?