Headline for today

2016 Mazda CX-9 First Look Review - Motor Trend

I think it looks perfect.

2.5 Turbo charged engine..a first in the skyactive series

400Nm torque

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    This has a new kind of turbo.

To mitigate turbo lag and provide strong response even from low rpm, Mazda fitted what it’s calling its “Dynamic Pressure Turbo,” which is fed air via two paths. At low speeds, a valve closes the larger one and sends the air to the turbine through a narrower path that amplifies the pressure, allowing the turbo to spool more quickly. Above approximately 1700 rpm, the engine is producing enough pressure to spin the turbine, and so the valve opens.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This has a new kind of turbo.

To mitigate turbo lag and provide strong response even from low rpm, Mazda fitted what it’s calling its “Dynamic Pressure Turbo,” which is fed air via two paths. At low speeds, a valve closes the larger one and sends the air to the turbine through a narrower path that amplifies the pressure, allowing the turbo to spool more quickly. Above approximately 1700 rpm, the engine is producing enough pressure to spin the turbine, and so the valve opens.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    And they lowered compression a bit to 10.5:1 to take that turbo.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    will give the explorer some competition. Looks great. Promises better fuel economy and great handling for its size. But the deal breaker for me is that for something this gorgeous and driver friendly ----- it has no paddle shifters. tsk tsk. What a bummer.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Output of the 2.5L turbo is about the same as the Explorer 2.0L Ecoboost but with more torque at low rpm. If the new CX9 is lighter than the Explorer, then it will be quicker and not to mention more fuel efficient. The Explorer 3.5L Ecoboost is whole different monster though with almost 400hp in output.

However, what came into my mind with Mazda's new Skyactiv turbo engine are Mazda6 and Mazda3 models powered by such an engine.
    Last edited by Egan101; November 20th, 2015 at 09:17 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Output of the 2.5L turbo is about the same as the Explorer 2.0L Ecoboost but with more torque at low rpm. If the new CX9 is lighter than the Explorer, then it will be quicker and not to mention more fuel efficient. The Explorer 3.5L Ecoboost is whole different monster though with almost 400hp in output.

However, what came into my mind with Mazda's new Skyactiv turbo engine are Mazda6 and Mazda3 models powered by such an engine.
    You're thinking what I'm thinking....SPEED?????

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Car and Driver first drive reviews of the new Mazda CX9

216 Mazda CX-9 First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

As initial articles announced, the only engine option is a 2.5L 4-cylinder turbo rated at 250hp at 5000 rpm, 420Nm torque at 2000 rpm. It is lighter than the previous generation CX9.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I have no idea why they removed the paddle shifters. Otherwise a more economical and wiser option than a Lexus RX350

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I like it. Hmmmmmmm.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast