New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Greetings!

Me and my friends are so eager to do this(tagal na as in) - road trip to LEYTE from MAKATI. ME and 4 of us would like to see the places along d road from makati to leyte(BAYBAY) by land this time,planning to drive a week before CHRISTMAS say around dec 19. I know it would be a wonderful experience and adventure at the same time but very tiring as well.

We will be driving a TOYOTA VIOS 2012 1.5J

My questions are:

-rough estimation on FUEL? (using unleaded)
    -where can i get a MAP for the driving navigation?
    - what is the total driving distance and travel time from Manila-LEYTE?
    - any suggestions on the RORO (car fees?,do i need early reservations? contact numbers? what shipping lines?)
    - is it safe? considering i'll be traveling wid ladies
    - where to stop, where to sleep, where to eat, etc.

well, if it's not advisable, then i guess we will travel the boring route again which is by plane.
    thanks in advance for your tips and suggestions.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2012

3. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Eto correction to be exact sa Babay roughly 725 KMS daw

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...mra=ls&t=m&z=7

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    My suggestions are:

-rough estimation on FUEL? (using unleaded)

Total distance Makati to Baybay is 991 kms, assuming your 1.5 vios will (worst) average of 8 km/l, then fuel estimate is around 123 liters

-where can i get a MAP for the driving navigation?

You can invest in buying cheap GPS being sold at Sulit, buy Garmin loaded with roadguide map. If not there is always National Bookstore that sells handy roadmaps. But I suggest invest on a Garmin GPS.

- what is the total driving distance and travel time from Manila-LEYTE?

1. Manila (EDSA-SLEX) to Matnog, Sorsogon is 590 kms, around 10-12 hrs drive.
    2. Matnog to Allen, Samar (via RORO) is 1 hr and 30 minutes.
    3. Allen to Tacloban, Leyte is 250 kms, around 4-5 hours drive.
    4. Tacloban to Baybay, Leyet (via Ormoc) is 153 km, 2-3 hrs drive.
    a) alternate route Tacloban to Baybay, Leyte (via Abuyug) is 105 km.

Total driving distance - SLEX/EDSA to Baybay, Leyte (via Ormoc) = 991 kms.
    - SLEX/EDSA to Baybay, Leyte (via Abuyug) = 943 kms.(I have no idea of the Abuyug -Ormoc road condition)

Total driving hours via Ormoc is between 16-20 hrs, depending on the traffic.

- any suggestions on the RORO (car fees?,do i need early reservations? contact numbers? what shipping lines?)

There are fixers upon entry at the Matnog port that can facilitate your tickets. RORO car fees at Matnog, Sorsogon is around P1,200 including driver, but does not include the fare of the passenger, for a group of 4, ballpark cost is around P1,800 including tips. No reservation is needed, its a first come first serve basis. Sta Clara Lines has the most ferry in that port.

Yes its safe, since its a sight seeing trip, start your travel from Makati at early morning, around 4 AM to avoid the traffics.
    You should be in Legaspi City before evening, sleep there and ravel to Matnog Port the next morning at around 4 AM to catch the first ferry trip. You should reach Baybay before dark.
    Have you car check first as there are road portions in Quezon Province that are not car friendly.

- where to stop, where to sleep, where to eat, etc.

Stop when you feel tired.
    I suggest base on the info you have now, plan your trip, sites to see, like Cagsawa ruins, etc.
    My favorite hotel stop is Ciriaco Hotel in Calbayog, Samar.
    Search the net for best deal hotels from Naga City to Tacloban, jot it down so in case you need to take a rest you know where is the nearest hotel.
    I suggest you dont travel at night from Allen, Samar to Tacloban. My recommendation is rest in Legaspi City and travel early morning to Matnog, start at around 4 AM from Legaspi City. The first ferry trip at Matnog is around 6 AM.

well, if it's not advisable, then i guess we will travel the boring route again which is by plane.

If your car is in tough shape, then do it. If it is not, take the plane.
    The worst you wouldn't want is suffer a mechanical breakdown.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn_duke View Post

Yes its safe, since its a sight seeing trip, start your travel from Makati at early morning, around 4 AM to avoid the traffics.
    You should be in Legaspi City before evening, sleep there and ravel to Matnog Port the next morning at around 4 AM to catch the first ferry trip. You should reach Baybay before dark.
    Have you car check first as there are road portions in Quezon Province that are not car friendly.
    Particularly in some portion of Quirino highway. Been there last week and its worse than i thought. Fortunately the govt already conducting concrete re-blocking on these road and i hope its not substandard.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    What i usually do travelling from Manila to Leyte is I leave Manila before midnight. That allows me to reach Leyte on the evening of next day.

I will be travelling again on the 22nd, maybe we can have a convoy sir

I also suggest to take the Abuyog-Mahaplag-Baybay route, that will save you a lot. No need to worry about the road condition. Quirino is the hardest part of your travel.

God willing, i will have to break-in the GLS advie on this trip..

We had driver drive my car to Samar just a few months back. He left Manila 10pm and was in Matnog around 9am the following day.

Allen to Tacloban, while only 250km or so, has a lot of winding roads. If you're not familiar w road, it will take you more than 5 hours.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by April_Ryan View Post
    We had driver drive my car to Samar just a few months back. He left Manila 10pm and was in Matnog around 9am the following day.

Allen to Tacloban, while only 250km or so, has a lot of winding roads. If you're not familiar w road, it will take you more than 5 hours.
    I used my GPS to navigate and anticipate the zigzag between Allen and Tacloban.
    Very useful especially when overtaking trucks/buses..
    With my GPS and MS Allen to Tacloban is only 4 hours. With my GS its 5 hours.

9. Join Date
    May 2015
    *Glenn_duke, This is a REALLY helpful answer. Thank you for this.

I know it's an old post and maybe some roads have changed so I'm asking for an updated answer. I'm driving to Anahawan Leyte soon and I have NO idea (other than Waze) how to get there via the best/fastest way possible. May I ask for some (detailed) directions? Like, I'm good as far as the SLEX going to Laguna, but I'm not sure whether I should go via Los Banos or Batangas. Things like that.

Also, if you have any cheap overnight inns you could suggest along the way (I'm not sure I can drive all the way from Manila to Legaspi City in a day ) I'd appreciate it.

Again, very useful information, your reply here before. Many thanks!

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    +1 to *DanSparky's request above. I'm not driving the exact route but will be going through most of it. Updates on road conditions would be great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast