New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hi, I need help in estimating the distance of my trip yesterday, because I'm trying to compute for my FC. I know this would have been much easier by just measuring my odometer mileage, but my odometer doesn't work.

So here's the route:

Pasig Kapitolyo - C5 - Katipunan (approx 11 km)
    Katipunan - Tomas Morato - E.Rod. - Q.Ave - Dangwa (no idea, 15 km?)
    Dangwa/UST - Taft/P.Faura (5 km?)
    Taft - Quirino - SLEX - Eton Exit - Tagaytay (70 km?)
    Palace in the Sky - Cliff House (10 km?)
    Cliff House - Eton Exit - SLEX - C5 - Katipunan - Commonwealth - Fairview (90 km?)
    Fairview - Pasig Kapitolyo (24 km)

If my estimates are correct, I travelled around 225 KM.

I used up around 1.2k worth of gas (gassed up 1k but consumed a little more), so given today's prices (48.20), that's approximately 25L.

This means I'm only making 9 km/L on mostly highway driving. This is sad because it's an L200 with a 4D56 engine that was overhauled just a few years ago. I thought the 4D56 had legendary fuel efficiency?

Is there a mistake in my computation of distance?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Hi, I need help in estimating the distance of my trip yesterday, because I'm trying to compute for my FC. I know this would have been much easier by just measuring my odometer mileage, but my odometer doesn't work.

So here's the route:

Cliff House - Eton Exit - SLEX - C5 - Katipunan - Commonwealth - Fairview (90 km?)

I used up around 1.2k worth of gas (gassed up 1k but consumed a little more), so given today's prices (48.20), that's approximately 25L.

This means I'm only making 9 km/L on mostly highway driving. This is sad because it's an L200 with a 4D56 engine that was overhauled just a few years ago. I thought the 4D56 had legendary fuel efficiency?

la din tripmeter? paayos mo na yan bro.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    use your trip meter

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    with all due respect... i question your methodology.
    first, you estimated distance is precisely that: an estimate. it can be anywhere within +/- 20%, if you are lucky..
    second, you are not sure how much fuel you used..
    third, the tagaytay trip involves a slope. i am not sure the mileages involving this segment, are a true rendition of your fuel efficiency. i am not sure if it is safe to assume their (dis)advantages cancel out each other. and this involves more than 50% of your studied estimated distance.
    my suggestion: have your odometer fixed. anything less than that, and your figures are immediately questionable. and involve longer distances over longer periods of time.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 5th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post

So here's the route:

You are using a rebuilt engine from years ago.
    Driving with aircon in summer.
    With a broken ODO meter.

What are you expecting?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Yes, the tripmeter is broken as well. And yes, I know the proper procedure to measure mileage. Thing is, I just borrowed this car and it's not the one I usually drive. Which is why I'm trying to estimate the distance I drove.

I'm quite certain with the amount of fuel I gassed up, what I need to be certain of is the distance I traveled. All I'm sure of is the distance from Pasig to Katipunan and from Fairview to Pasig. The rest, I'm not quite sure of, which is why I asked here in the navigation forums.

I've experienced over 11 km/L with a Tagaytay trip in an Altis 2.0V, which is why I'm wondering why the low mileage.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

^^^ Marami ba kayong nakasakay sa van? Ilan kayo, bro?...

13.0K:funa:

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Just two, me and my passenger.

I've given it some thought and assuming that my calculations of distance are about right, and my fuel consumption is somewhere between 9-10 KM/L for the L200, then I think the low numbers could be attested to my driving.

It was my first time driving an awfully slow car on a long-distance trip, and I'm used to traveling at 100-140 kph on the highway if the traffic allows. I didn't have a working speedometer during the trip, but seeing as I was able to overtake most cars on the highway (the trip up is a different story, the old pickup took forever to pass a car uphill, it was almost dangerous), I guess I was also traveling at around 100-120 kph.

This may have put so much stress on the engine (no tachometer but I have this feeling I was near the redline since I wasn't increasing in speed anymore even if I floored it), that even if the engine is inherently efficient, when at 100% load, it gobbles diesel as well. Driving at those speeds with a 2-liter vehicle on the other hand isn't as stressful to the engine, which may explain why the fuel consumption is better.

This is of course, just a theory, and I just based it on the Top Gear feature wherein an M3 had better mileage than a Prius around the track, with both cars going at the fastest the Prius can go.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Simple lang ang pag compute ng distance nyan bro. Gamitin mo google earth. yun nga lang, kailangan mo pagtyagaan ng konti.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That was quite a good estimate. Here's an estimate from Mapsource

Pasig Kapitolyo - C5 - Katipunan : 9 km
    Katipunan - Tomas Morato - E.Rod. - Q.Ave - Dangwa : 15 km
    Dangwa/UST - Taft/P.Faura : 5 km
    Taft - Quirino - SLEX - Eton Exit - Tagaytay : 81 km
    Palace in the Sky - Cliff House : 11 km (22km roundtrip)
    Cliff House - Eton Exit - SLEX - C5 - Katipunan - Commonwealth - Fairview : 83 km
    Fairview - Pasig Kapitolyo : 20 km

A total 235 km.

Need Help In Estimating Distance