New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Looking at the map, I've identified a possible alternative route in an effort to beat rush-hour traffic from Makati if you're forced to take EDSA going northbound. Just not sure if the alternate route will be congested as well...

Makati Ave --> Burgos St --> Kalayaan Ave --> Rockwell Drive

a) I don't recall there being any flyover going to the northbound lane if coming from rockwell? If not kasi, then I'll have to take Estrella going to JP Rizal street. (hindi naman 1 way yung mga yan diba?).

b) Given that the normal route is taking the flyover along Buendia to EDSA, will there be any time savings at all given this 'long cut'?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Looking at the map, I've identified a possible alternative route in an effort to beat rush-hour traffic from Makati if you're forced to take EDSA going northbound. Just not sure if the alternate route will be congested as well...

Makati Ave --> Burgos St --> Kalayaan Ave --> Rockwell Drive

a) I don't recall there being any flyover going to the northbound lane if coming from rockwell? If not kasi, then I'll have to take Estrella going to JP Rizal street. (hindi naman 1 way yung mga yan diba?).

b) Given that the normal route is taking the flyover along Buendia to EDSA, will there be any time savings at all given this 'long cut'?
    Yup, there is no northbound flyover from Rockwell to Edsa. Only Edsa to Rockwell.

From Rockwell, you can proceed to JP Rizal via Estrella then go to Edsa via Guadalupe near Trace College. You can also opt to run parallel to JP Rizal by turning right near Nestle. There are several points where you can then turn left to JP Rizal. I use these routes when I come from Rockwell.

An alternative is to proceed to the Makati Mandaluyong Bridge towards Maysilo. From there, you have the option of going to Edsa via Boni or Shaw. If Boni, you can go Pioneer underpass and go back to Edsa via Madison. If via Shaw, you can turn left to Edsa.
    Last edited by digitalron; June 7th, 2011 at 12:05 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Makati Ave can be congested during rush hour.

If you are from ROCKWELL, you can go EDSA-southbound then take u-turn under the flyover to go northbound.

You can also take Makati Ave - Burgos - Makati/Mandaluyong Bridge to Mandaluyong. Depends on your end destination.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Isip ko kasi bumalik sa EDSA near Trace college.

Medyo malayo na kasi yung ikot if I go via Makati-Mandaluyong tapos babalik sa EDSA.

Estrella isn't so congested ata tuwing rush hour, but not sure about J P Rizal going back to EDSA.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Estrella itself isn't so congested, but you'll get a big headache of sorts upon reaching Guadalupe before the bridge. You can escape that by going via JP Rizal then Trace. If JP Rizal is congested, I suggest you take the road parallel to it (I can't remember the name, but it is relatively easy to pass even in rush hour) then enter JP Rizal at around the Shell area. It'll be a short hop then going to Trace.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Makati Ave can be congested during rush hour.
    Yup, that's why I choose to take the parallel road Burgos instead. One can also take the road behind A. Venue. It can still get a bit jampacked upon reaching the intersection of Makati Ave-Burgos-JP Rizal but it's bearable.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron View Post
    Estrella itself isn't so congested, but you'll get a big headache of sorts upon reaching Guadalupe before the bridge. You can escape that by going via JP Rizal then Trace. If JP Rizal is congested, I suggest you take the road parallel to it (I can't remember the name, but it is relatively easy to pass even in rush hour) then enter JP Rizal at around the Shell area. It'll be a short hop then going to Trace.
    Actually kita ko rin that there's a way getting to the Boni Ave. from the Makati-Mandaluyong bridge tapos turning into Barangka Drive. Parang mahirap lang yung papuntang northbound kasi alam ko hindi pwede mag uturn pag labas sa may robinsons pioneer...?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Actually kita ko rin that there's a way getting to the Boni Ave. from the Makati-Mandaluyong bridge tapos turning into Barangka Drive. Parang mahirap lang yung papuntang northbound kasi alam ko hindi pwede mag uturn pag labas sa may robinsons pioneer...?
    true but for me, I drive straight onwards until I reach the (former) NAIADSS Auto-LPG station and turn left into the street beside it and u-turn there.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    true but for me, I drive straight onwards until I reach the (former) NAIADSS Auto-LPG station and turn left into the street beside it and u-turn there.
    You can also choose to exit at Madison and avoid the buses congested at the foot of the overpass.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron View Post
    You can also choose to exit at Madison and avoid the buses congested at the foot of the overpass.
    Hmm interesting. Have to try all these alternate routes so far. What remains to be seen is whether or not taking these relatively longer routes will save time compared to the normal route I usually take during rush hour...

Btw, thanks for the tips so far, very informative

Makati to EDSA