New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2019
    I'm going to Vigan with some relatives this weekend and I'm planning to depart from Paranaque at around 11pm and just try use MacArthur highway all the way there, has anybody tried this before? Just want to ask if this is something you'd recommend. ( A friend recommended to me to do this to apparently save toll fees lol.)

My family frequently travels up North ( Tarlac, Nueva Ecija, and Pangasinan Area) but we haven't tried departing from Metro Manila during night time or actually use MacArthur highway starting from Monumento.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    MacArthur hiway from Caloocan to San Fernando is approximately 3 - 3.5 hours. It does not matter what time of day or night as this hiway does not sleep. It is the main route for cargo trucks going to the factories in bulacan and pampanga. On the other hand NLEX Balintawak to San Fernando, Pampanga is an easy 30 minutes drive at night. If you take nlex-sctex-tplex all the way to the farthest point north that is just 2.5 hours easy driving. If you take MacArthur that becomes 6 hours or more.

Your plan is doable naman. But you do not really save anything. What you save on toll you will spend on fuel. And you lose time.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzumiya View Post
    I'm going to Vigan with some relatives this weekend and I'm planning to depart from Paranaque at around 11pm and just try use MacArthur highway all the way there, has anybody tried this before? Just want to ask if this is something you'd recommend. ( A friend recommended to me to do this to apparently save toll fees lol.)
    My family frequently travels up North ( Tarlac, Nueva Ecija, and Pangasinan Area) but we haven't tried departing from Metro Manila during night time or actually use MacArthur highway starting from Monumento.

Use NLEX-SCTEX-TPLEX, up to Pozzorubio. Wala kang ma gain using McArthur Highway from Monumento, +2 hours ka sa travel time mo, ang daming road construction along McArthur Highway, especially sa Bulacan part, sobrang traffic at lubak lubak ang daan. Sa Tarlac part naman daming tricycle sa daan, karamihan walang backlight. Around 600 pesos lang ang toll fee from Balintawak to Pozorubio. Marami ding truck sa McArthur highway at night, mga nagtitipid din sa toll.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzumiya View Post

What's your reason in doing this if I may ask? If you're in it for a scenic route, it's doable naman albeit you'll be passing mostly through towns and in darkness so you really won't be seeing any good scenery around.

If you are doing this to save on toll fees, I don't think it's worth it. McArthur Hi-way is congested with cars on daytime and with trucks on nighttime. Most of the money you saved on toll fees will just be spent on more fuel since you are going slower and may need to stop on town intersections, etc. Not to mention it will take a lot more time to reach your destination.

Your vehicle will be most fuel-efficient on the expressways while staying on a constant speed from 80-90 Kph.

You will spend a bit more of money on toll fees, but you'll use less fuel, you'll reach your destination in lesser time, and you'll be less stressed from driving.

Of course you can do what you want and we'll be happy for you to. Just keep this comparison in your mind. We just helped lah your options for you to choose. It'll still be ultimately up to you.

Have a safe journey!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Alright thanks for the input guys, I'll just do the regular thing and depart before daybreak and use my usual route up north NLEX, SCTEX, TPLEX lol.

A friend told me about doing that midnight MacArthur route and got me interested but I was a bit skeptical about his claims.

Thanks

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    Definitely not worth it sir. Unless you plan on making a lot of stops to eat and do what else. But even that is not advisable since more often than not, establishments are closed at night time.

The traffic choke points along that route are some of the worst as well because of all the ongoing road repairs.

What's worse, people who went out the night before might be headed home by that time and are all sleepy and/or drunk. Not exactly the best time to be on the same provincial roads with them.

Speaking of, for people going to Pampanga this weekend via Clark NLEX exits, avoid the Clark North toll booths as lots of traffic has been experienced there due to the rush construction ongoing for the SEA games. It comes and goes, but you can bet it won't ease up until after the games.

Have a safe weekend Tsikoteers.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    Definitely not worth it sir. Unless you plan on making a lot of stops to eat and do what else. But even that is not advisable since more often than not, establishments are closed at night time.

The traffic choke points along that route are some of the worst as well because of all the ongoing road repairs.

What's worse, people who went out the night before might be headed home by that time and are all sleepy and/or drunk. Not exactly the best time to be on the same provincial roads with them.

Speaking of, for people going to Pampanga this weekend via Clark NLEX exits, avoid the Clark North toll booths as lots of traffic has been experienced there due to the rush construction ongoing for the SEA games. It comes and goes, but you can bet it won't ease up until after the games.

Have a safe weekend Tsikoteers.
    Thanks for the additional info, Have a safe weekend too.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    how's the roads to Vigan now?

any construction? (local highways)

thinking of going there Holy Week 2020 to visit relatives.

I normally leave Manila at 4am.
    1 stop at NLEX for coffee
    Next stop at Pangasinan for breakfast

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    mahirap mag drive sa macarthur highway at night. i can say from monumento to bocaue segment only.... its dark on some area, mga bus barubal magmaneho lalo kung maluwag kalsada, may mga stop lights din along, and many potholes. baka sa launion palang pagod ka na mag drive, better stick with expressways. save gas and driver energy.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Been to Badoc a couple of months ago. Wala naman construction nung nadaan ako. Majority ng roads ay maayos. Kung holy week ka punta, better kung Tueday pa lang o latest Wednesday bumyahe ka na para iwas sa dagsa ng sasakyan ng Holy Thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast