New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hello everyone!

Need your input po. My family and I will be spending the holidays in Baguio (somewhere on Mission Drive). We'll be coming from Marilao, Bulacan. Some people we've spoken to, suggested we leave at 12 midnight or 2 AM.... to avoid traffic. I know it is too risky to travel at night, but we are traveling in a convoy of 3. Any tip on what's the shortest and safest route please? (I heard there is C2 hiway). I have Garmin installed on my phone, but don't want to rely on it too much (wish there was a latest map I could download somewhere). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're travelling at night, just take NLEX - SCTEX - Luisita Exit - Mc Arthur Highway then Kennon or Marcos Highway. The back roads may not be too safe at night and there's no traffic anyway.

You can also choose to leave around 4am, you should be in Baguio by 9am with easy driving and traffic isn't that bad either.

There are some roadworks in Urdaneta and after Sison, then on Kennon Road so be aware as these may be unmarked.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by butchik View Post
    Hello everyone!

Need your input po. My family and I will be spending the holidays in Baguio (somewhere on Mission Drive). We'll be coming from Marilao, Bulacan. Some people we've spoken to, suggested we leave at 12 midnight or 2 AM.... to avoid traffic. I know it is too risky to travel at night, but we are traveling in a convoy of 3. Any tip on what's the shortest and safest route please? (I heard there is C2 hiway). I have Garmin installed on my phone, but don't want to rely on it too much (wish there was a latest map I could download somewhere). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I concur with the suggestion of VINJ. In my previous years of going to Baguio at this trime of year, leaving at between 4 and 5 am was the best since you would avoid the heaviest traffic areas by 7am. You'll be in Baguio by 9 or 10am depending on the stops you make.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Agree what have said from above, also you can leave as much as early at 3am to be sure to avoid the traffic because at this season there will be a lot of people going there, I think 9-10am in baguio is already traffic and difficult to find better parking, you can stop over at shell gas station before kennon if it still dark and wait for the sunrise, it's better to be in the kennon road at 6am then you will be in the baguio city around 7am.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KIANTOT View Post
    Agree what have said from above, also you can leave as much as early at 3am to be sure to avoid the traffic because at this season there will be a lot of people going there, I think 9-10am in baguio is already traffic and difficult to find better parking, you can stop over at shell gas station before kennon if it still dark and wait for the sunrise, it's better to be in the kennon road at 6am then you will be in the baguio city around 7am.
    Personally I prefer taking Marcos Hiway for the final climb up to Baguio. Although the view might not be as great, (and you don't get to see the giant lion head), Marcos Hiway is safer and tends to close less often (due to landslides, etc). But I also stop at the SHELL station (for a short rest, toilet break and some fuel) before heading up Marcos to Baguio.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; December 20th, 2011 at 05:48 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Personally I prefer taking Marcos Hiway for the final climb up to Baguio. Although the view might not be as great, (and you don't get to see the giant lion head), Marcos Hiway is safer and tends to close less often (due to landslides, etc). But I also stop at the SHELL station (for a short rest, toilet break and some fuel) before heading up Marcos to Baguio.
    The Marcos Hiway is the convinient way going up to baguio because of the wider roads (if you don't mind seeing the lion's head)
    I heard also they have coding scheme in baguio, is there anybody encounter this one? is this scheme applies to all vehicle even you are from manila?

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    The Marcos Hiway is the convinient way going up to baguio because of the wider roads (if you don't mind seeing the lion's head)
    I heard also they have coding scheme in baguio, is there anybody encounter this one? is this scheme applies to all vehicle even you are from manila?
    yes color coding is implemented but during holiday season it's suspended usually.

agree to use marcos hiway (called aspiras hiway now) especially if you are not familiar with kennon road. enjoy your holiday and drive safe bro.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    The number coding scheme is SUSPENDED from Dec 19, 2011 til Jan 2, 2012 so tourists can tour around unhampered and locals can do their shopping this Christmas season.

At present, there are road works that are ongoing in several parts of Marcos Highway. You will just be caught by surprise by one way portions as they have recently performed "re-blocking" of some "good" portions of the road. There's another portion where there's a road erosion. Just be careful especially at night.

You can leave by either 1 or 2 am. By 6 or 7 am, you are already in Baguio. There's no traffic by this time since schools are already in their Christmas breaks. Traffic is usually heavy at around 5 pm onwards especially around the central business distric (i.e. around SM, Session road, etc).

Have a nice and safe trip.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumusut_Amige View Post
    yes color coding is implemented but during holiday season it's suspended usually.

agree to use marcos hiway (called aspiras hiway now) especially if you are not familiar with kennon road. enjoy your holiday and drive safe bro.
    Thanks for the info happy holiday also sir

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanren View Post
    The number coding scheme is SUSPENDED from Dec 19, 2011 til Jan 2, 2012 so tourists can tour around unhampered and locals can do their shopping this Christmas season.

At present, there are road works that are ongoing in several parts of Marcos Highway. You will just be caught by surprise by one way portions as they have recently performed "re-blocking" of some "good" portions of the road. There's another portion where there's a road erosion. Just be careful especially at night.

You can leave by either 1 or 2 am. By 6 or 7 am, you are already in Baguio. There's no traffic by this time since schools are already in their Christmas breaks. Traffic is usually heavy at around 5 pm onwards especially around the central business distric (i.e. around SM, Session road, etc).

Have a nice and safe trip.

Thanks for the update, happy holiday sir

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast