New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Besides sa gwapo looks on the car..does changing a stock 15" rims to a 16-17" rims and tires give me more fuel savings?

I'm just basing it on a guess na kapag mas malaking tao, mas malaki ang hakbang..so I'm not sure if the same principles also apllies in vehicles…

tinatantya ko lang na if 2 cars of the same weight and power with 2 different size of wheels go on the same pace, same distance to be travelled .the one with the bigger wheels covers more distance and more likely the one to arrive to point B from point A than the other while saving more on the fuel…

any thoughts regarding this?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Stay with the OEM size rubber. If you go bigger you increase the angular moment of inertia (AMI) of the tire/wheel assembly. AMI goes up with the square of the diameter.

Increasing the diameter of the wheel means your engine has to accelerate four bigger "flywheels" every time you pull away from a stop sign or light.

Depends also on your driving and routes, city vs. highway driving. You may have small FC on highway when using bigger wheels, but not that much savings vs. the price of your new rims and tires.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    analogy ko lang.

bigger wheels need more power. more power more fuel.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    The rims can be up sized, pero the overall outside diameter of the tire is the same.

But typically with bigger rims, the wider the tires. wider = more traction. additional fuel consumption.

bigger rims = heavier. racing rims are lighter than standard rims of the same size.
    Last edited by meledson; November 13th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys sa lahat ng information..I guess I have more idea na regarding this..

Most of the display na new gen vios kase na nakita ko sa dealers showroom and even dun sa autocar show sa MOA..specially the 1.3L E variant which has 85HP and 122Nm torque have bigger wheels than those displayed on the 1.5LG variant nila which have more power and more torque..naconfused lang ako..kase I thought the idea was to have bigger wheels on the E variant to compensate with the less HP and torque than its 1.5L counterpart..but then maybe, pampaganda na lang nila yung bigger wheels on the E variant to up their sales..

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Compare mo na lang ung BMX bike sa Racing bikes, isa lang lang source ng power nyan un nagpepedal na tao. Pansinin mo na sa mga karera puro racing bikes lang ang ginagamit, at ung gulong ang kitid, kasi nga less contact sa road less resistance. Pero since less resistance ka dapat ingat sa high speed kasi longer braking distance.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tsikot Car Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    my OEM van tire size is only 195 75 r16...

i put 245 70 r16...

side by side comparing the two.. there is at least 2.5-3 inch difference in height and 2 inches in width..

when it comes to FC... no noticeable difference... definitely hindi lumakas....

what i just observe is mas mabagal ang speedometer ko sa actual speed...

there was a time i was travelling along commonwealth my friend who was seated at the passenger side saw a honda civic's speedometer is more or less 60kph but mines is only a little above 50kph.. 51-52kph

kaya pag nasa commonwealth ako and driving our van i never go over 50kph...

and the usual route ko like for ex. is 25kms per day naging 21kms. nalang...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn manikis View Post
    my OEM van tire size is only 195 75 r16...

i put 245 70 r16...

side by side comparing the two.. there is at least 2.5-3 inch difference in height and 2 inches in width..

when it comes to FC... no noticeable difference... definitely hindi lumakas....

what i just observe is mas mabagal ang speedometer ko sa actual speed...

there was a time i was travelling along commonwealth my friend who was seated at the passenger side saw a honda civic's speedometer is more or less 60kph but mines is only a little above 50kph.. 51-52kph

kaya pag nasa commonwealth ako and driving our van i never go over 50kph...

and the usual route ko like for ex. is 25kms per day naging 21kms. nalang...

So pag ginamit mo ung formula ng liter of gas per kilometer mali na, kasi ung kilometer mo hindi accurate.

Kung ibebenta mo un ride mo mas maganda pala kung nung ginagamit mo e malaki ang tyre na nakakabit kasi mababa ung ma register na milage.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tsikot Car Forums mobile app

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    Besides sa gwapo looks on the car..does changing a stock 15" rims to a 16-17" rims and tires give me more fuel savings?

I'm just basing it on a guess na kapag mas malaking tao, mas malaki ang hakbang..so I'm not sure if the same principles also apllies in vehicles…

tinatantya ko lang na if 2 cars of the same weight and power with 2 different size of wheels go on the same pace, same distance to be travelled .the one with the bigger wheels covers more distance and more likely the one to arrive to point B from point A than the other while saving more on the fuel…

any thoughts regarding this?

Bigger wheels with the same tire outside diameter - there will be some lost fuel economy due to HEAVIER wheel weight especially with stop-go driving situations. If highway driving conditions (minimal stop-go), fuel economy should not be affected much.

Bigger wheels with bigger tire outside diameter- there will be some lost fuel economy due to HEAVIER wheel weight and due to increased rolling resistance. A bigger outside diameter would act like having a higher gear when you don't need it. It would be more evident especially with stop-go driving situations. If highway driving conditions (minimal stop-go), fuel economy should not be affected much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast