New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Some questions about wheels and tires.

On Wheels
    Example: 14 by 6
    I understand that the diameter of the wheel is 14 inches. But is the "6" the width of the wheel, and is this measured in inches?

On Tires
    Example: 195/60/14
    I understand that the the tire is for a 14 inch wheel. I also understand that the width, and the tirewall of the tire is 195 and 60 respectively. But is the "195" and "60" measured in mm?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    width is in mm and 60 is in % of the width.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Thanks!

Now I understand why fatter tires seem to have a thicker sidewall than thinner tires, even though they have the same "50 Series" profiles.

How about the wheels? When you say 14 x 6, is the 6 the width, measured in inches?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    6 inches is the width. And then there's offset - JJ or E or something. Though di ko pa rin kabisado enough to explain it. I think may tech articles sa www.tirerack.com try mo na lang.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    195/60/14

Yung 60 ay yun ratio ng kapal ng sidewall vs the thread width. Kaya you'll see "50 series" tires na iba ang height kung 235 ang width vs 275 ang with.

so 195/60 means that the sidewall is 60% of 195mm

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by the_wildthing
    ...And then there's offset - JJ or E or something..
    The JJ, J or E letters on the mags are rim lip designations. Iba-iba po kasi ang design ng rim lips to be used on specific tires. Rims/Mags offset can only be distinguished from the box itself or catalogues form the manufacturer. It is rarely stamped on the wheel itself. But I have seen one set of mags with offset stamped inside.

On wheels and tires