New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I have an arriving SUV with stock mags at 265 17 65. Im planning to upgrade the stock mags to size 20". May I ask your opinion if should I upgrade to size 20's? First of all, I want it for looks but Im worried that ride comfort might suffer. I dont have any plans yet in upgrading my suspension so dont know how much effect it would be to the ride. If I may ask,
    1. Is there a drastic effect in ride comfort from a size 18 to size 20 mags?
    2. If ever I will upgrade to size 20, what tire should be fitted in it? Should it be a 50 series or can i fit it with a 60 or 70 series? What effect will it be compare to the 50 series.
    3. Is there a big price difference between a 17 and 20's tire?
    Please pardon my innocence. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
    I have an arriving SUV with stock mags at 265 17 65. Im planning to upgrade the stock mags to size 20". May I ask your opinion if should I upgrade to size 20's? First of all, I want it for looks but Im worried that ride comfort might suffer. I dont have any plans yet in upgrading my suspension so dont know how much effect it would be to the ride. If I may ask,
    2. If ever I will upgrade to size 20, what tire should be fitted in it? Should it be a 50 series or can i fit it with a 60 or 70 series? What effect will it be compare to the 50 series.
    For sure, ride quality will be crappy, sir.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    lalaki ang mags.ninipis ang goma..

syempre matigas tumagtag..at ingat sa lubak at kung hindi bengkong.kung mamalasin baka mabasag pa si mags..

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    1. Yes. Ride comfort is compromised with 20" tires compared to 17".

2. 265/50R20 is the default upgrade from 265/65R16 because the overall size is the same so this has the least impact to your ride quality. If you want the offroad look, you can go with All-Terrain 275/55R20 tires.

3. Yes there is. Usual 17" tire is around 7-8k, while 20" tires are around 10-12k each. These are for branded tires like Bridgestone/Toyo/Pirelli. You can get cheaper brands if you want.

So I guess you finally went for the FJ huh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee10 View Post
    lalaki ang mags.ninipis ang goma..

syempre matigas tumagtag..at ingat sa lubak at kung hindi bengkong.kung mamalasin baka mabasag pa si mags..
    Too paranoid IMO. I run even thinner tires (225/40R18) and ilang beses nang nalubak, not a single scratch and definitely no bengkong.

But yes the ride is worse than a thicker tires.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    1. Yes. Ride comfort is compromised with 20" tires compared to 17".

2. 265/50R20 is the default upgrade from 265/65R16 because the overall size is the same so this has the least impact to your ride quality. If you want the offroad look, you can go with All-Terrain 275/55R20 tires.

3. Yes there is. Usual 17" tire is around 7-8k, while 20" tires are around 10-12k each. These are for branded tires like Bridgestone/Toyo/Pirelli. You can get cheaper brands if you want.

So I guess you finally went for the FJ huh.

Hahaha. Not yet sir. Its for my wife's Monty. We're planning to upgrade it to size 20 only if it would not sacrifice the ride's comfort. As for the FJ, still got few more days before December. Thank you sir!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for all your reply. If I may ask again, should I retain the size 17 or get a size 18 instead?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hahaha. Not yet sir. Its for my wife's Monty. We're planning to upgrade it to size 20 only if it would not sacrifice the ride's comfort. As for the FJ, still got few more days before December. Thank you sir!
    Go with 265/50R20 H/T or HP tires to maximize comfort even with bigger tires.

My friend upgraded his Pajero BK and Montero GLS SE to 20" OEM rims with Toyo Proxes ST 265/50R20 tires and the ride quality didn't deteriorate that much.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    If it's for the wifey, might as well just put 18inch mags. You may go for the looks but she might not care about the look of tires. Putting 20s will increase the chance of damage and flat tires if she's not a careful driver. 18s won't be different from 17s in ride comfort.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    i like oversized ballon tires than big rims...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast