New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    I saw an advertisement of a BMW 3 series equipped with Runflat Tires.

"Your BMW 3 series features standard setting runflat tires that allow you to drive on a deflated tire at 80 kph for up to 150 kms., enough to take you to a service center."

Any thoughts on this and are there any brand of tires with this kind of feature?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by myas110 View Post
    I saw an advertisement of a BMW 3 series equipped with Runflat Tires.

"Your BMW 3 series features standard setting runflat tires that allow you to drive on a deflated tire at 80 kph for up to 150 kms., enough to take you to a service center."

Any thoughts on this and are there any brand of tires with this kind of feature?
    Actually am also interested to know this. Is there a foam similar to that used in security vehicles that when the wheels are shot by a bullet the foam will allow the car still run for another 50+ miles to escape the threat?

Not pretty much sure on the technology used but that's the only thing I can think of.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    try this thread.

RFT

afaik, RFT tires have stronger and more robust sidewall than regular tires. the culprit, regular tires out performs RFTs.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14 View Post
    Actually am also interested to know this. Is there a foam similar to that used in security vehicles that when the wheels are shot by a bullet the foam will allow the car still run for another 50+ miles to escape the threat?

Not pretty much sure on the technology used but that's the only thing I can think of.
    They call it "Beadlock", usually sa mga trucks gamit na kapag sa disyerto, nagdeflate ang gulong, kapag sa Highway, mag-inflate.....

Siya ang suporta sa gulong kapag nasa disyerto ang truck....

I dont know if sa mga SUV 4x4 ay nai-apply na din ito...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14 View Post

you can also try tyre guardian. http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71778

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Ang runflat ba na rerepair pag na puncture? read somwhere na palit na kaagad pag na puncture?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpet626 View Post
    Ang runflat ba na rerepair pag na puncture? read somwhere na palit na kaagad pag na puncture?
    Naku, swerte kapag narepair pa....ang posibilidad ay pati wheel rims mo masira, baka pati whel bearing mo.....

kung safe naman ang lugar na naflatan, palitan na kaagad, pero kung buhay mo naman ang nakasalalay, i-running flat mo na.....

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpet626 View Post
    yes bro, narerepair pa. pero depende sa damage. mostly, pag sa sidewall ang damage. 50/50 ang chance na marepair pa.

Quote Originally Posted by desert fox View Post
    Naku, swerte kapag narepair pa....ang posibilidad ay pati wheel rims mo masira, baka pati whel bearing mo.....

kung safe naman ang lugar na naflatan, palitan na kaagad, pero kung buhay mo naman ang nakasalalay, i-running flat mo na.....
    over naman!

kaya nga naka RFT para irunning flat, diba? and afaik, most RFT can run 100-150km at 80kph, enough to reach a shop that is capable of repairing RFTs.

most RFT equipped vehicles dont have a spare tire to change.

kase, kahit wala ng hanging ang RFT, bilog pa din eto, not like regular tires na deflated na talaga. thats the use ng strong sidewall ng RFT.

EDIT: RFT cost twice as regular tires. not so practical imho
    Last edited by aejhayl17; July 19th, 2010 at 11:43 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup.

In fact, you can even go racing on runflats, and most people will not be able to tell the difference (I could... but you have to be driving super-silly to find out).

But in the end... impractical. RFTs are heavier, which is bad for fuel consumption. They're very, very stiff, which is very, very bad for ride comfort (many BMW owners change to regular tires and just buy a can of sealant after their runflats wear out). And they're very, very expensive... which is bad for your wallet.

If your car is already on decently low profile tires (50 series... or even 45 if the wheels are big... 18" or more...)... when you get a flat, you won't go out of control easily.

For guys with trucks, you could try the bead-lockers or similar devices that keep the tire attached to the rim, giving you better control when you get a flat.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    For some Brands of RFTires, you'll also need tire pressure monitor device so you can constantly check your tire pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Runflat Tires