New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    guys,what is the recommended psi for a 215/40 r17 tyres to survive in edsa? ty

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Are your tires mounted on a Jazz? There's a sticker on the driver's doorjamb for that. On my GD1 Jazz the recommended pressure was 32F/30R.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    If it is original that come's w/ your car it listed in your door jam.

If not...see the tires recommended on the side wall of the tire.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    If it is original that come's w/ your car it listed in your door jam.

If not...see the tires recommended on the side wall of the tire.

v6
    the tire pressure listed on the door jamb sticker( on the fuel filler lid for europen cars, on some asian cars in the glove box compartment and in the owner's manual) are for original tire specs for speed, load, and tire size. if the tire is now equipped with a lower profile tire size, this pressure specs does not apply since the tire is stiffer than the original size and load rating tire. it would have a very stiff ride and reduced road/tire contact. of course the friction surface between the road and the tire will greatly be reduced making it unsafe for stopping. the pressure has to be reduced than as if the car had original tire size. check the tire manufacturer's recommendation for the specific car. and oh, DO NOT, i say again, DO NOT use the tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire. that pressure is the maximum inflation pressure for the tire and not necessarily the pressure recommended for the particular car. if you have doubts about the tire pressure specs, please do not guess. the only contact between your car and the road is about the area of a dinner plate for four of your tires assuming you are using the right tire and using the right pressure. let's play it safe. you can google this recommended tire pressure.
    jick
    a.s.e. certified master automobile technician
    a.s.e. certified master heavy duty truck technician
    international automobile technicians' network

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    v6
    the tire pressure listed on the door jamb sticker( on the fuel filler lid for europen cars, on some asian cars in the glove box compartment and in the owner's manual) are for original tire specs for speed, load, and tire size. if the tire is now equipped with a lower profile tire size, this pressure specs does not apply since the tire is stiffer than the original size and load rating tire. it would have a very stiff ride and reduced road/tire contact. of course the friction surface between the road and the tire will greatly be reduced making it unsafe for stopping. the pressure has to be reduced than as if the car had original tire size. check the tire manufacturer's recommendation for the specific car. and oh, DO NOT, i say again, DO NOT use the tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire. that pressure is the maximum inflation pressure for the tire and not necessarily the pressure recommended for the particular car. if you have doubts about the tire pressure specs, please do not guess. the only contact between your car and the road is about the area of a dinner plate for four of your tires assuming you are using the right tire and using the right pressure. let's play it safe. you can google this recommended tire pressure.
    jick
    a.s.e. certified master automobile technician
    a.s.e. certified master heavy duty truck technician
    international automobile technicians' network
    I suppose I should inject some long explaination here. Anyway, you have a pretty good title as "Two" Master/ Automotive Service Excellence (M-ASE). Das ist von Ihnen nett. Guter Tag.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    for me safe pressure is to look at the maximum psi on the sidewall then minus 10%.

ex. sidewall maximum is 40psi minus 10% is 36 psi. the start playing from 36 psi. i think 34 to 35 psi is good

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Good thing I found an existing thread for my query.

What could possibly be the ideal tire pressure for the ride?
    I'm concerned since both have 17s.

215/45R17 (Westlake tires) on Sentra GX
    Current psi: 32F/31R

215/40R17 (Advan Neova AD07) on Astina
    Current psi: 31F/31R

I checked the tire pressure recommendations on their door walls but the ratings for the largest rim diameter they gave were for 15s wheels only.

Recommended tire pressure (215/40R17)?