New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    27
    #1
    been planning to change my lug nuts mga ser,
    1. whats the difference between the alluminum ones vs the metal ones? does it has something to do with rusting?yun po bang lug nuts tlga yung nag ra-rust or yung stud bolt yun?
    2. the difference between the short lugnuts vs long or extended lugnuts?
    3. difference between colored vs chrome/stainless lugnuts? (do the colored ones fade due to long use or being old nuts)
    recommend p0 kau or comment..
    thanks tsikoteers!
    [i have the same topic at brakes,steering, wheels,suspension, pa delete nlng kung saan po yung wrong section]
    i have the same topic at brakes,steering, wheels,suspension, pa delete nlng kung saan po yung wrong section

  2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by poochie02 View Post
    been planning to change my lug nuts mga ser,
    1. whats the difference between the alluminum ones vs the metal ones? does it has something to do with rusting?yun po bang lug nuts tlga yung nag ra-rust or yung stud bolt yun?
    aluminum lugnuts don't last very long. Aluminum is soft so using aluminum lugnuts will just result in stripped threads sooner than later. Also aluminum expands more than steel when heated. This will result in the aluminum lugnuts working their way loose simply with the heating/cooling cycle of your wheels which is unsafe.

  3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    27
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    aluminum lugnuts don't last very long. Aluminum is soft so using aluminum lugnuts will just result in stripped threads sooner than later. Also aluminum expands more than steel when heated. This will result in the aluminum lugnuts working their way loose simply with the heating/cooling cycle of your wheels which is unsafe.
    tnx sa reply ghosthunter
    still waiting for other replies regarding my other question/s..

  4. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    27
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    aluminum lugnuts don't last very long. Aluminum is soft so using aluminum lugnuts will just result in stripped threads sooner than later. Also aluminum expands more than steel when heated. This will result in the aluminum lugnuts working their way loose simply with the heating/cooling cycle of your wheels which is unsafe.
    tnx sa reply ghosthunter
    still waiting for other replies regarding my other question/s..

  5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,772
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by poochie02 View Post
    tnx sa reply ghosthunter
    still waiting for other replies regarding my other question/s..
    Same reply as GH's if you hve a choice avoid the aluminum.

  6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    27
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    Same reply as GH's if you hve a choice avoid the aluminum.
    tnx sa mga reply.. keping this thread baka may ibsang sumagot pa..

  7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20
    #7
    alums vs metals? alums are lighter
    rusting? nah, lighter alums are race intended
    avoid open ended lugnuts, alums or non, they re prone to rusting.

  8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,710
    #8
    If the lugnut is of good quality, even aluminum ones can last a long time. I've had my (original) aluminum ones for three years and several trips to the vulcanizing shops and several more trips to the tire shops for alignment later, they're still tight.

    If they're of bad quality... I've had cheapo lugnuts rust and strip within a year.

    With aluminum, the important thing to remember is to not overtorque the lugnuts to avoid stripping them. And yes, avoid the open-ended ones, as those go out of round too easily, aluminum or steel.

    Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Questions about lugnuts(copies lng)