New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Guys, I have a 97 civic lxi with stock rims and tires..

A friend offered me his 17" mags with tires, maganda ang mags at kapal pa nga tires... my Questions are...:

1. What are the pros and cons of running on a 17" mags and tires?
    Fuel side, ride comfort .. etc

2. Would it affect the parts of the car holding on the tires?

thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    1. Expect a stiffer ride and, depending on the brand of the 17s, weight wise it will slightly change your handling and braking characteristics.

2. It might wear out your shocks faster than the norm.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudee View Post

A friend offered me his 17" mags with tires, maganda ang mags at kapal pa nga tires... my Questions are...:

thanks
    the ride will be a little bit rougher because it uses a low profile rubbers. since it is a low profile, the rubber/air separating the road from your rims is thin, so mararamdaman mo yung maski rough areas ng kalsada.

on the fuel side, since it is a little bit heavier, it consumes a little more fuel than let's say running on 14"s. pero very minimal yan, and halos di mo na mararamdaman.

the parts on the car effect, it depends. if you would lower it pa, then it has some effect on the suspension parts, pero imho, wala masyadong magiging effect.

it will also affect the way you drive. since dapat mag ingat sa mga lubak and deep potholes. masisira ang mags mo, or pwedeng mag-blow up yung tires mo.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    maganda tlga 17's in terms of looks. pro you have to make certain sacrifices if you decide to have them on your car...
    1. say goodbye to ride comfort kse you will feel every bump and pebble on the road. minsan masakit sa panga ska sa likod
    2. depending on the weight of the whole set, it will certainly affect your fuel consumption kse higher rolling resistance from the tires will require the engine to work harder to get your car moving. in the case of engines, any extra work that needs to be done also requires more fuel
    3. katulad ng sabi ni sir happy gilmore, you will definitely need to change your driving habits kse you run the risk of damaging your tires and rims plus the fenders kapag nalubak ka.
    4. you will need to lower the ride height of the car kse frankly, 17's on a compact car tpos stock ride height look stupid and ugly.
    5. a friend of mine from honda says that they do not recommend going over 16's pra sa mga compacts and sub-compacts kse it tends to wear out the suspension and drivetrain faster

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002

thanks
    Aside from what the other guys have mentioned, is the offset of the 17s correct for your car? Your car is a civic, is your friend's car also a civic?

As for ride comfort, if your friend can lend you those wheels for a weekend, you can try them on your car for a couple of days to give you a proper idea of how stiff such wheels will be on your car.

Fuel consumption will increase because of two things. The 17 inch wheels are heavier than your stock wheels. The tires are wider, increasing the friction between the road and the rubber resulting in slightly higher fuel consumption

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Kung aesthetics lang ang habol mo, then go for it. But as the others have stated, don't expect the ride to be the same as stock. Also, I second what blue1108. You need to replace the stock suspension for lowered ones. Hindi maganda tingnan ang 17" tires na may malaking gap sa fender. So mas magastos.

Also, 17" tires cost a lot more than 14" (stock ng Civic EK). And with the condition of MM's roads, baka madalas ka pang mahuli for swerving. Add to that yung mga ingress/egress of certain malls, and humps sa ilang mga subdivision na unfriendly for lowered vehicles.

Personally, I'd go for stock tires. Spend your money na lang on other items (sounds, seat covers, wash-over, etc.)

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Thanks for the reply Guys...

I got the mags na..

The tire and mags originally used by my friend's SIR.. he sold his unit kaya bebenta nya ang 17" nya... I didn't know na dapat pala i-lower... thanks.. I will check it out. Akala ko kasi, gamitin na lang...

Yun orig rims ng lxi ko is 13" lang, kaya magaan talaga..

Another friend of mine, offered to swap his 16" chrome mags with my 17"... lugi ba ako? I really don't know what type ang 17" mags ko..

Sa 16" rim, kailangan pa ba i-lower ang auto?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    hi sir dudee, you got the rims na pla. hope ur enjoying them.
    kng 16's usually hinde mo na kelangan i lower oto mo. i think you should try them na din...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the reply Guys...

I got the mags na..

The tire and mags originally used by my friend's SIR.. he sold his unit kaya bebenta nya ang 17" nya... I didn't know na dapat pala i-lower... thanks.. I will check it out. Akala ko kasi, gamitin na lang...

Yun orig rims ng lxi ko is 13" lang, kaya magaan talaga..

Another friend of mine, offered to swap his 16" chrome mags with my 17"... lugi ba ako? I really don't know what type ang 17" mags ko..

Sa 16" rim, kailangan pa ba i-lower ang auto?
    on lowering, it will all depend on you, but i've seen unlowered cars on 16" and 17", and hindi ko gusto ang tayo. parang naka tip-toe eh.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    keep the 17's. they are better looking than 16's and plus...they are not chrome ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
14" - 17" Mags