New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by x_outpost View Post
    You also admitted that you are "cheap" - which is a relevant term.
    I also eat fishballs and isaw, ride the jeep and take the bus. That's relevant too, right?

As a car-guy (and I've been driving since I was 10 years old) - I don't think I would agree on that. Your logic doesn't make sense. If it is, why would people buy expensive cars???? I've owned a few dozen cars from my hard earned money and every car drives differently (FYI, I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, Mitsus, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Porsche, VW, Acura, Mazda, and a Lotus - even cars of the same brand drive differently. And yes, even if you blindfold me, I can tell you which car is which from the way it drives, even from the way it smells).

I know we all have personal opinion and you are entitled but sadly, I don't agree that all cars are the same or buying a premium car is silly.
    I would like to know what premium car you have bought in the past so you can justify that buying a premium car is silly.
    I'm not going to pretend I'm a bigwig. I come from a rich family, but I am content with being personally poor. I've seen how people chase premium ownership while being barely able to afford the running costs, and it's sobering. Out here, a "poverty-spec" Mercedes or BMW costs more than a house. The maintenance and insurance costs of their top-of-the-line models are more expensive than a cheap car. Forgive me for saying so, but building apartments is a more practical use of that money (which is what I did and am doing with mine). After each flood, my Crosswind requires 0 pesos worth of repairs. The 7-series down the block? About three-quarters of a million pesos. Who wins there?

You can afford nice cars, fine, go ahead and buy nice cars. Like I said: Whatever makes you happy. Just pointing out that the sharing of parts and maintenance items isn't really an issue worth worrying about.

I know cars drive differently. If I didn't, I wouldn't be writing for a car mag. But the difference isn't due to who makes the oil filter or the fuel injectors (though the latter affects how reliable the car will be). It's all down to how everything is screwed together.
    Last edited by niky; September 16th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The M3 is as different from the 328i as the Type R is from the regular Civic, or the Evo from the regular Lancer.
    You're stating the very obvious.
    The question is, have you owned both to know the "real" difference?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Dad had a Merc. Lovely car, but not practical. Uncle has a brand new S-Class, which is terrific, but a nightmare to maintain.
    Who cares what they drive???
    Does it make you better because your family drives a nice car??
    I can probably list a dozen pages if I have to list down what cars my family drives - but what's your point?
    We were discussing about how Lexus about Euro cars, then suddenly you jump to the discussion and swayed the topic away.

If you want to contribute something to the discussion, then stay on topic.

Please spare me with your lectures about Audis and VWs. I've owned a few of VW and Audi cars so you're lecturing to someone who actually owned them. Not someone who just watched them on Youtube. Let me ask you this, have you owned a VAG car before?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You're asking what I' ve owned. I didn't start that particular subdiscussion.

I was merely opinion that parts-sharing doesn't make Audis any worse than Mercs or Bimmers... who have their own foibles. That's all.

You're stating the very obvious.
    The question is, have you owned both to know the "real" difference?
    Nope. I've driven them. And again, it's much like the difference between a Lancer and an Evo. In the way that both the Evo and the M3 are ridiculously fast, ridiculously stiff, ridiculously noisy and ridiculously expensive compared to the base models... though at least the M3's interior isn't filled with economy-grade plastic. Of course, the M3 does feel incredibly special, but if we're talking strictly nuts and bolts, the comparison is still true.

Only reason nobody asks Clarkson if he's "owned" everything he reviews is because after being in the game for so long, he's incredibly rich. That doesn't mean he doesn't spout BS every now and then. (And if I spout BS myself, you're welcome to debate me on it, as we're doing now) Ownership gives you more insight into specific cars, but saying that only someone who's "owned" everything can give an opinion is a bit much, because nobody (except Jay Leno) has owned everything.

Ain't going to get into a pissing contest here. Honestly don't know what you're so worked up about.
    Last edited by niky; September 16th, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Who cares what they drive???
    Does it make you better because your family drives a nice car??
    I can probably list a dozen pages if I have to list down what cars my family drives - but what's your point?
    We were discussing about how Lexus about Euro cars, then suddenly you jump to the discussion and swayed the topic away.

If you want to contribute something to the discussion, then stay on topic.

Please spare me with your lectures about Audis and VWs. I've owned a few of VW and Audi cars so you're lecturing to someone who actually owned them. Not someone who just watched them on Youtube. Let me ask you this, have you owned a VAG car before?
    Ok we know you own an M (3?? or 5??) and don't want to waste time with people who have M-Sports. And used to own a "few of VW and Audi cars". Anything else to add? So we know how much of an expert (or rich) you are?

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    para sa mayaman lang tong thread na to, kaya kayong mga amoy lupa tulad ko wag na kayo magpost dito

#retzingmode

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    I'm not going to pretend I'm a bigwig. I come from a rich family,
    I was raised by my parents not to brag where I came from.
    And to tell you the truth, I'm surprised there are still people like you who brag about these things.
    Should I care where you came from? Not sure if you have kids, but do you also teach them to brag that your family is rich?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by piscesboy View Post
    para sa mayaman lang tong thread na to, kaya kayong mga amoy lupa tulad ko wag na kayo magpost dito

#retzingmode
    Hinde Amoy lupa, Hampas lupa...Amoy lupa means matanda...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    #retzing

9. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Of course, the M3 does feel incredibly special, but if we're talking strictly nuts and bolts, the comparison is still true.
    You are contradicting your self. You just said, "premium" or not - they're all the same.
    And stop bragging about you as a writer when you can't even stick to the topic.
    I'm glad you don't write for Motor Trend, Automobile, Car & Driver, etc - else, I would be cancelling my subscription.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by piscesboy View Post

#retzingmode
    Dun tayo sa bad trip thread or sa chatbox.

Kita mo, namamali ka pa dito, hindi ka talaga dapat dito. Amoy lupa na rin.

Civic at m&m's meron dun.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast