New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Does anyone else think there is an inherent problem with Carens 2007 turbo charger? Mine failed right after the 3rd year. And again after 1 year with the replacement turbo charger (a free replacement part from KIA), the same problem happened.

I have also a friend who bought his carens a couple of months ahead of me and had a similar experience. According to him, he learned from other mechanics that we should avoid revving the engine prior to turning it off to ensure the turbo is receiving equitable oil flow relative to its instantaneous power.

Is there truth to this advice? Anybody else have this issue?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by failedkia View Post
    According to him, he learned from other mechanics that we should avoid revving the engine prior to turning it off to ensure the turbo is receiving equitable oil flow relative to its instantaneous power.
    sir I think this is the problem, before you turn off the engine you need to let the turbo cooldown for a few minutes.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    You should cool down your engine for about 2-3mins before you turn off your engine.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinrem View Post
    You should cool down your engine for about 2-3mins before you turn off your engine.
    this is true sir.. +1 ako dito..

you should cool down your engine para ung pressure sa turbo mawala, lalo na pag long drive..

pwede na ung 3 mins na cool down

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    palagay ka na lang turbo timer just to be sure. pero kung paulit ulit na nasisira may defect tlaga yan. designed naman kasi din na di na kailangan ng cool down yan.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Don't rev the engine before shutting it down, especially on turbocharged vehicle.
    Why? The turbo may still spin due to the momentum created by revving the engine ( the turbo also increases rpm when you rev up) and then no oil supply to the lubricate the bearings because the engine is shut already. This causes failure of the bearings of the t/c.

Also you need to cool it down especially on long drives where you are always on hiway speeds. 3 min. is enough before shutting it off and dont rev it, keep it on idle. Or before you reach destination you can begin slowing down so it wont take that long for cooling down. Temperatures on engine can reach suddenly higher when you suddenly shut it. The oil film remaining on the bearings of t/c may overheat and then become coked that also lead to failures.

KIA Carens 2007 Turbo Charger Failure