New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    The alternator of my 2012 Rio recently broke, which meant that our car gradually stopped functioning along NLEX as we were going home to Manila a few days ago. Ang diagnosis ng Kia is the the following parts (of the alternator) need to be replaced: IC Regulator, Carbon Brush, bearings --- and Kia is insisting that these parts are not covered by their warranty so I have to pay for them.

My Rio is 3 years old and covered by the 5 year warranty of Kia. Ang tanong ko lang:

(1) Is replacing the parts of the alternator instead of the whole alternator standard practice? Ang impression ko kasi, parang nagtitipid lang sila at pinapahaba lang yung buhay nung faulty na alternator until such time na hindi na siya covered ng warranty.

(2) Can I insist na palitan nalang ng buo yung alternator instead of only fixing the broken parts since the car is still under warranty? If yes, how can I argue this when talking with the Kia dealership/branch?

Any other tips/opinions regarding this that may help? Ang laki lang kasing aberya. Nanganib na yung buhay namin dahil nasira yung kotse habang tumatakbo, namrublema at gumastos pa kami sa towing, tapos kahit under warranty yung sasakyan, papabayarin pa din kami ng repairs? Help please. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Pwede mo pakiusapan ang svc advisor, siya ay power na aprobahan ng distributor ang unit replacement. honestly ang mga nabanggit na parts lang rin ang papalitan ko kung ako ang mag diy nyan except kung ang resistance and meg test ng winding ay mababa na. Opinion ko lang po. Under warranty bakit babayad ka ng repair? Para saan ang babayaran? Hindi covered ng warranty ang alternator??? Carbon brush payag pa ako kasi consumable yan. Bearings & IC Regulator suppose to last over the warranty period.
    Last edited by weisshorn; January 2nd, 2016 at 06:46 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Under warranty yan

Generous ang kia/hyundai sa warranty.

Send a nastygram(email) sa customer service nila.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by valacirca View Post
    The alternator of my 2012 Rio recently broke, which meant that our car gradually stopped functioning along NLEX as we were going home to Manila a few days ago. Ang diagnosis ng Kia is the the following parts (of the alternator) need to be replaced: IC Regulator, Carbon Brush, bearings --- and Kia is insisting that these parts are not covered by their warranty so I have to pay for them.

My Rio is 3 years old and covered by the 5 year warranty of Kia. Ang tanong ko lang:

(1) Is replacing the parts of the alternator instead of the whole alternator standard practice? Ang impression ko kasi, parang nagtitipid lang sila at pinapahaba lang yung buhay nung faulty na alternator until such time na hindi na siya covered ng warranty.

(2) Can I insist na palitan nalang ng buo yung alternator instead of only fixing the broken parts since the car is still under warranty? If yes, how can I argue this when talking with the Kia dealership/branch?

Any other tips/opinions regarding this that may help? Ang laki lang kasing aberya. Nanganib na yung buhay namin dahil nasira yung kotse habang tumatakbo, namrublema at gumastos pa kami sa towing, tapos kahit under warranty yung sasakyan, papabayarin pa din kami ng repairs? Help please. Thanks!
    Read your warranty statement carefully. Usually, consumable items are not covered by warranty. Fluids, filters, belts and the like. IC Regulator is not a consumable part. While Carbon brush and bearings wear overtime but they should last for many years. Emphasize to the SA that these items are not in the list of regular PM Items and so would not qualify as consumable items. Takutin mo yang mga lintik na yan na ipapa topgear mo sila pag hindi nagkandarapa yan sa pag ayos ng warranty claim mo.....

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Explain more on the "alternator broke". What is it doing or not doing other than normal? Did the event happen gradually or abruptly? Did you check the sacrificial parts( fuses)? Did you check the presence or condition of the alternator belt? An aged drive belt could be slipping causing an undercharge or no charge. Check the basics first before taking your car for a guess and hope session.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the IC regulator is just like the ECU.. solid state.. it normally lasts many years.. for it to need replacement in 3 years... i would argue that that is a factory defect.
    bearings.. again, for them to need replacement within 3 years, suggests to me of manufacturing defect.
    the brushes... are wear and tear. but 3 years?? anyway, mura lang yan.

in conclusion, i would argue that if the alternator failed within 3 years, it was a factory defect.

but i am still suspicious... like jick above.. hindi kaya, maluwag lang ang belt, or may alambreng natanggal..? they happened to me..

look up the fine print in the warranty, po, and see where your alternator stands. in legalese, if alternator is not mentioned in the inclusive nor in the exclusive, then it can be argued.

also, that alternator may be fixed satisfactorily outside the casa., cheaper too. PM kita.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Explain more on the "alternator broke". What is it doing or not doing other than normal? Did the event happen gradually or abruptly?
    We were on our way back to Manila via NLEX when I noticed the battery light on the dashboard started flickering. Since we were in a convoy, I had my passenger call the other car to notify them and we agreed to pull up in the next gasoline station. Kaso hindi na umabot. As we were passing the Bocaue tollway, more lights started popping up on the dashboard: The steering light turned on, and the ABS light turned on. Then shortly after, the radio went out. Shortly after that, the steering wheel started to stiffen. So we called the other car again and told them we had to pull over immediately after passing the tollway. When it was my turn to pay the toll, I discovered that my power windows weren't functioning anymore as well so I had to open the car door to pay. After we pulled over after paying the toll, dun na bumigay lahat after a few minutes. The lights started to fade, all the lights on the dashboard started to flicker, and I couldn't even engage the gas anymore.

So we asked for help from the NLEX office and AAP to have the car towed. Eventually we got it to KIA Acropolis late at night (this was on Dec 30), and when they checked it on Jan 2 --- yan na ang sabi sa akin, that some parts have to be replaced and I have to pay for the replacement (although ico-confirm pa daw nila sa planta kung covered ng warranty ang IC Regulator, but I'm not holding my breath).

8. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by timo07 View Post
    While Carbon brush and bearings wear overtime but they should last for many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    in conclusion, i would argue that if the alternator failed within 3 years, it was a factory defect.
    Thanks for this. Very disappointing. Last year nagka-prublema din ako dito sa Rio ko, yung aircon naman, and they diagnosed it as the O-Ring needing replacement. Ngayon naman mas malala, alternator naman.

Quote Originally Posted by weisshorn View Post
    Pwede mo pakiusapan ang svc advisor, siya ay power na aprobahan ng distributor ang unit replacement.
    Actually yung service advisor na ng Kia Acropolis ang kausap ko...

Quote Originally Posted by weisshorn View Post
    Under warranty bakit babayad ka ng repair? Para saan ang babayaran? Hindi covered ng warranty ang alternator??? Carbon brush payag pa ako kasi consumable yan. Bearings & IC Regulator suppose to last over the warranty period.
    Ina-argue nila na consumables daw yung mga papalitan: Yung carbon brush daw parang brake pads. Yung bearings daw napupudpod din daw ang nasisira due to wear and tear. Yung IC Regulator itatanong pa sa planta kung covered.

Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Send a nastygram(email) sa customer service nila.
    Is sending a message through these avenues enough?

https://www.facebook.com/kiainthephilippines

https://www.kia.com/ph/util/customer...ontact-us.html

Or does KIA have an official customer service email address as well? Thanks!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by valacirca View Post

Yung bearings daw napupudpod din daw ang nasisira due to wear and tear. Yung IC Regulator itatanong pa sa planta kung covered.

Is sending a message through these avenues enough?

https://www.facebook.com/kiainthephilippines

https://www.kia.com/ph/util/customer...ontact-us.html

Or does KIA have an official customer service email address as well? Thanks!
    Yung bearings napupudpud nasisira due to wear & tear so consumables din. Eh panu kung main & con rod bearings dahil napupudpud din so consumables din yan & not covered with warranty??? No no no!! Hehehe.. Eh anu nalang ang covered ng warranty? Maybe bolts & nuts or any other parts na di gumagalaw pala.hahaha.. Gusto ko maka usap face to face ang svc advisor na nagsasabi nito.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Your charging system does not work. Try running the car with another but fully charged battery. If the symptoms on your list does not recur with a fully charged battery, it confirms the charging system problem. From there, have your beloved service department do a VAT (voltage/amperage test) with all the loads on(except the starter) on while at idle and at 2000 rpm. If the current and the voltage drops your alternator needs off car repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast