New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Hi guys,

im just a newbie here.... i need some help in deciding... i am soon buying a car... im torn between tucson and carens.... what makes me lean towards carens is its seating capacity.... it's gonna be me and my 3 siblings who will use the car most of the time but for like one month of the year, my parents come home so that makes us 6.....

i got quotations for both, the prices of both will work for me... just want to make sure i am gonna get my money's worth...

help please!!! or any suggestion???

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pretty07 View Post
    Hi guys,

im just a newbie here.... i need some help in deciding... i am soon buying a car... im torn between tucson and carens.... what makes me lean towards carens is its seating capacity.... it's gonna be me and my 3 siblings who will use the car most of the time but for like one month of the year, my parents come home so that makes us 6.....

i got quotations for both, the prices of both will work for me... just want to make sure i am gonna get my money's worth...

help please!!! or any suggestion???
    Hi like u im also torn between this to but i choose carens for her sitting capacity and power yes still worth buying it p nmam

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    how about nissan livina? did you consider it too? im not being badge conscious here...hehehe.... just making sure im not gonna regret my decision... thanks in advance y'all!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    How much is your budget and which do you prefer manual or automatic? If its something like 1.2M or below, the Kia Carnival shortwheelbase manual is better than both as a "people mover."

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Well, I'm a Carens owner and I really like the smoothness of its accecleration and the smoothness of its ride. You have a tough choice considering that this two vehicles does not come in the same class. One is a SUV and the other is a mini MPV. But considering the price increase of the carens, It is almost the same price as the Tucson. If this is the case I think I'll go with the Tucson because it is an SUV and I kinda like its high ground clearance and it also has a lot of aftermarket accessories meaning to say I could toy with it and its 5 years warranty is just so sweet that it would give you a peace of mind for the next 5 years. The only let down is its engine. It has way less power than the Carens due to lack of VGT in its engine.

The Carens for me is a bang for the buck vehicle because it has a smooth ride, it accelerates almost like a gas fed engine and it can exceed the 200 kph mark easily and still the engine runs smoothly. It can seat 7-9 adult person. But it is still not an SUV, It has a low ground clearance (If only I could increase its round clearance and make it look like an SUV, Its hands down CARENS ). Also it has no aftermarket accessories like wrap around skirts liner or anything, you can't give your ride a unique look as of now. The only after market accessories you can have is a chrome garnish.

But it all depends on your need. ask your self if you want a powerful engine that can seat 7-9 persons or a SUV that looks good but seats less.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    i am almost striking Tucson out of my choices.... now i'm down to livina and carens..... u think these two are comparable? which do you suggest?

i am considering the seating capacity more than the power, the car will just be used mainly in the province... smooth driving....

and by the way, i want an AT vehicle.....

thanks y'all!

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I think between the Livina and the Carens I think its still Carens over the Livina.

1.)Seating Capacity - Carens, over livina
    Carens is more spacious than the livina. Carens can seat 7-9 adult while livina can seat 6-7 adult max due to its small body. I'v seen the Livina myself and its inside is so small that you can 't seat 3 people in its 2nd row comfortably and it also has low headroom.

2.)Space - Carens over Livina

3.)Price - Livina over Carens

4.)Safety Feature - Livina over Carens

5.)Automatic Transmission - Carens over Livina
    Carens Manumatic transmission over conventional automatic transmission.

6.)Ground Clearance - Livina over Carens

7.)Fuel Consumption - I think its Carens over Livina
    Carens has a diesel fed engine while livina has a gas fed engine. Even though that nissan says that their engine has a very low consumption. I doubt that it is attainable in reality. If your going for an automatic transmission I think you would be better of with a diesel fed engine than a gas fed one.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

If you're just 4 in the family, buy the Tucson.

However, since you're 6 in the family (at least a month in a year), then you should go for the Carens. And with that, you could use the extra cargo space during the rest of the year. It is that practical...

Have you considered Innova? I believe that this should be a better option for you. Maybe spartan, but it works.

6303:fetch:

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Unfortunately, with the carens price going up (and up again daw sabi ni ricky (mqavila)), you may be constrained to look at another brand. maybe look at the nissan gran livina. i don't know how much it costs pero you're better off elsewhere.

for their initial prices, the carens is good value for money. ours is unfortunately, a watered down version. no abs, no stability control, one airbag, etc. but for being a diesel, with 7 seats, a comfortable seating arrangement, it was good value for money AT THAT TIME.

your needs will have to be limited to:
    - at least seven seater,
    - diesel,
    - AT (or maybe MT for better fuel consumption)

maybe the innova is more attractive nga this time.

like cvt said, it is spartan, but it does work.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I think just weight the options pero pag ako either Nissan Livina or Kia Carens na lang, yung Tucson masikip for 6 people but it looks cooler though since mini-SUV sha unlike the other two MPV's mukang soccer mom ang dating. Ako mas lean ako sa Livina maskin gas engine na automatic. The price difference alone between the two is HUGE that it dosen't matter what your mileage is (unless you drive like 25,000km a year baka pwede) di mo yan mababawi. And the Kia Carens is overpriced at this point IMO. And yes the Innova overall is the better buy of all if you are open to it, the E variant that is para may power na. And of course Toyota na, meaning Banawe spare parts very very abundant and high resale value compared to Kia and Nissan.
    Last edited by tidus1203; June 24th, 2008 at 08:26 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Carens Vs Tucson Or Some Other Suv? Help!