New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tanong lang po
    anong rpm ba gumagana ang turbo ng trooper?
    automatic off ba yun at idle rpm?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir benny, the turbocharger is powered by your engine's exhaust gases. Basically it doesnt actually turn itself off. Kahit po hipan ninyo yan, iikot. It does however, perform most efficiently at around 2000rpm up. Im only speculating since im not really a trooper guy, but this is the case with most low pressure diesel turbos.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    It will only work when your engine is underload, regardless of rpm. Ex, if your traveling downhill at 3000rpm, your turbo might not work, but if your going uphill, even at 1500rpm, it will start to kick in.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my worry is do i have to activate the 2 minutes turbo timer even i have travelled for a very short distance? Let's say 3 meters from idle while i'm waiting to open the gate of my house for more than 1 minute already.... or even a short distance?
    Are all turbos act or function the way sizpack stated?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i dont think you still have to.....

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    benny010, i have no idea what sixpack is talking about. The turbocharger is simply two turbines which are connected to a single rod. One sucking in fresh air and blowing it into the intake manifold, the other, being spun by the exhaust gases in the exhaust manifold. If you spin one, you spin the other. Super low friction bearings ang gamit dito. I know because i took my turbo in my bare hands when we overhauled my engine. Like i said, if you blow into one of the turbines, it will spin already.

Now what drives the turbo? Exhaust gases. Kung hipan mo lang ay iikot na, what more kung exhaust gas pa? EVEN AT IDLE your turbo is in operation. But of course, at that engine speed, the turbo actually hinders engine performance (lag). Not all turbos give peak performance at the same RPM. It all depends on which turbo you are using. For diesels, small, low pressure turbos are used, these turbos give boost sooner than larger ones.

So yes, turbos are basically RPM driven and not "load" driven. Kahit magkarga ka ng isang damukal na sako ng cemento, if you're engine is only running 1500rpm, your turbo is not running at peak efficiency, but running it is.

So cooldown pala tanong mo pareng benny. Well, the cooldown period is usually 30secs to 5minutes depending on distance traveled, ambient temperature, and speed traveled. The higher any of these parameters are met, the longer you need to cool down the turbo. Sa akin, a regular commute from my ex-office in alabang to pasig would merit a full 5 minute cooldown. But kung short sprint lang to get ice cream from 7-11, 1 minute lang.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    benny, dun sa situation na sinabi mo, hindi na kelangan i-cooldown

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Amen to PK :D

9. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    This might help.
    LC 100 guide on required idling time before shutting off engine:

1) normal city driving- no idling time
    2) High speed driving
    About 80kph - 20 secs
    About 100kph - 1 min
    3) Steep mountain slopes
    or continued driving above 100kph - 2min

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nice info Jackaroo. I guess this applies to most Turbodiesels. Pero for high revvers like the units on the Lancer Evo, i doubt if a 2 minute cooldown will suffice. Then again, I dont have an Evo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Turbo of Troopers ?