New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Decided to clean my fuel filter today, took it out and removed the level/water sensor to remove any diesel sludge. After reassembly, I placed back the hoses and bled the filter using the bleeder plug on the top of the assembly and the pump.
    The trooper started but died soon after. I bled the filter again til only fuel came out but the car wouldn't start. Have tried bleeding it several times but still no luck.
    What else should I try or what have i missed in the whole "bleed" procedure? :oops:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Malamang po hindi maganda ang lapat ng threads ng water sensor sa filter. Kahit na lagyan ng teflon tapes mag papasok na hangin kasama ng diesel kaya po namamatay ang makina.

Try to re-fit by disassembling the fuel filter and water sensor kit out in the open. Then fit the threads slowly back. Make sure there the fuel hoses doesn't have any dirt or foreign objects in it.

HTH

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Jackaroo,

eh, what's the status now? Ang alam ko, pump mo lang ng i-pump, hanggang pure fuel na lang. I remember this, ng i-remind ako ng mechanic na wag pa-abutin sa E mark ang trooper, marami na daw ang i-tinirik nito sa daan.

One more, pag nag-change oil, half-filled dapat ang bagong oil filter, share lang nila ang experience nila sa casa na umubos sila ng 3 battery bago nag-start ang trooper.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Ungas,
    I'll try that tom, it may be an air leak that i haven't found.

RedHorse,
    Thanks. I had to recharge the battery to avoid damaging it. Let's see what happens tom.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    also try to check if the hoses are connected properly. the mark with in the hose should come from the tank, and the one with mark out should connect to the fuel filter. some times it dies because there was air inside the fuel lines just try to start it and increase the revolutions so that the air will just go away.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pumping until fuel comes out out of the bleeder screw isn't enough. it just indicates that the fuel has reached the filter. you should make sure that your injection pump is filled with fuel. the injection pump has an overflow valve screw that indicates that the pump is filled with fuel already. loosen this then pump the primer until the fuel overflows this valve. tighten then start. that should do the trick.

david

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    ARB, hanson,
    Thanks guys.

Solved the problem. It was simply a weak battery that couldn't crank with all that air in the system and i forgot to press on the gas while starting it! The 4JX1 has an electronic throttle so you have to press down (when removing air in fuel line) to push fuel thru the lines. The bleed screw in on the fuel filter body since you won't see any injection pump- the common rail system in buried under the intercooler.
    Runs better than ever- may have removed a slight leak that gave it hiccups at times.
    Thanks for the help!:D

Trooper- fuel filter bleed problem?