New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    ask lang advise sa mga expertise dyan about RPM.... my dad said that when you change gear dapat e a.bot sa saktong RPM before changing to high gear lets say 1st gear dapat rpm mo hang.gang 4 or 40kph .... para daw hindi ma over run? is this true? para namang hindi maka hinga yong makina ng dmax ... were using manual transmission of course dmax yong onang version hindi 4x4..

pls advise.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Sir Jo, i'm no expert in driving, but i've always been a manual-tranny driver.... and like it more than anything.

i happen to be that type that doesn't like straining my engine, say by short-shifting (not fond of it), or just revving unsubstantially in ascents prior to upshifting ---- in fact i hate lazy drivers; you hear their transmissions jarring up because they are shifted higher than what's supposed they should be and yet they push the pedal low. This way, they tend to lose transmission oil pressure in their cranks - an indication why the crank is jarring.

In level roads, in a relax-phase, and in between gears, i usually rev as high as 2000 rpm before upshisting so that i'm around 1500 rpm (at the least) at the onset of the next higher-gear. As you know, by paper specs, the optimum torque of the Philippine-DMax starts early at 1400 rpm and extends way beyond along the rev range. In loads and going uphills or traversing a mountainous road, of course, i rev "conditionally" higher than usual. i actively downshift in tight hairpins or switchbacks as well and then upshift at a higher rpm. Moreover, i also apply engine-braking "to some extent" while descending a mountainous road.

Kind regards.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jocernver View Post
    ask lang advise sa mga expertise dyan about RPM.... my dad said that when you change gear dapat e a.bot sa saktong RPM before changing to high gear lets say 1st gear dapat rpm mo hang.gang 4 or 40kph .... para daw hindi ma over run? is this true? para namang hindi maka hinga yong makina ng dmax ... were using manual transmission of course dmax yong onang version hindi 4x4..

pls advise.
    Below is the suggested speed per gear level (available in Owners Manual) when in brake in (safest vehicle state)

If you want best fuel efficiency, engine performance and prolong your engine life, you should up shift in between any gears from 1,400 to 3,400 rpm

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008

pls advise.
    Hindi naman siguro kelangang sakto IMHO basta nasa powerband lang pwede na. What do you mean hanggang 4? 4000rpm? You mean umabot ka ng 40km/h at 1st gear at 4000rpm before shifting? Kung ganon talaga nakakastrain sa makina yan at sayang sa krudo. 1st generation ang inyo Sir? Yung 4JH1-TC ang engine? Kung humahataw ka ng lubos lubos, 3800rpm ang sabing point na aabot ang peak horsepower at around dun ka magshishift. Pero sobrang bihira lang naman natin ginagawa yan so for best fuel efficiency shift early (but not too early as to lose oil pressure and have the engine shaking violently) at around 1500-2000rpm since nasa mga ganon din pinakakumakagat ang torque ng mga diesel. Sa personal experience ko sa tatanging manual na sasakyan namin (Revo diesel) I normally shift at 2000rpm, around 1500-1800rpm kung nagtitipid and around 3000rpm kung medyo nagmamadali. There is usually no point on going beyond 3000rpm in a diesel especially in city driving especially since 3.0L ang makina mo at kapag sa lumang diesel napakaingay nun.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Like everyone says so sir ---- just keep your revs between 1400 rpm to a max 3400 rpm.

Normally, i rev mine 2000 rpm prior to upshifting as mentioned above.

It also depends on you sir, but i use the 1st-gear start at each complete stop....

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hinDMaxsiado View Post

Like everyone says so sir ---- just keep your revs between 1400 rpm to a max 3400 rpm.

Normally, i rev mine 2000 rpm prior to upshifting as mentioned above.

It also depends on you sir, but i use the 1st-gear start at each complete stop....
    +1 to this. Many neglect doing this (reasons that 2nd gear start works anyway) not knowing it adds stress to the transmission and the engine. This proves critical in the longevity of one's engine and transmission.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    +1 to this. Many neglect doing this (reasons that 2nd gear start works anyway) not knowing it adds stress to the transmission and the engine. This proves critical in the longevity of one's engine and transmission.
    Sir Benz, mali pa yata grammar ko haha! ----
    ...."after each stop" yata ang appropriate not "at each stop" hehe....

Kind regards.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009

pls advise.

What your dad is teaching you is how to drive to win a 1/4 mile sprint. In sprint racing, it is common to hear people say shift at the redline to maximize tranny output torque. You would also hear people say shift at HP peak not at torque peak (little less than redline). But whatever...you can feel it when you shift early anyway(engine shudders). So just go by that. You never check the RPM everytime you shift anyway

RPM sa isuzu dmax