New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hi! im just a newbie here and i'd really appreciate it if you guys can help me out. I came across a bank repossessed 1999 4JG2 4WD M/T TROOPER. The guys from the bank dont know if it's in running condition since they had to dismantle the ignition component of the car for them to be able to tow it to the bank's yard. One of the people peeps who towed the poor thing is a good friend of mine and he said that the trooper was parked neatly at the garage of the mortgagors house when they took, it with no signs that it has bogged down or was under repair. No leaks, no detached engine part etc.. To make the long story short, the trooper is now ready for sale and im very interested in buying it. Can anybody please give me a check list on what to check first on the engine to ensure that I can still have my money's worth on it? Worst case scenario repair estimates also would be very much appreciated so I can adjust my offer to buy accordingly. Thanks a bunch!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Can't you request for a short test drive of the unit? It's hard to assess a vehicle's running condition by just visually inspecting it.

bigbigcar.com Feature: BMW Dynamic Drive Experience

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    kung good condition bakit hinila pa?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    it's 4JG2 over 4JX-1 and IMO have a good diesel mechanic with you when you inspect the unit esp the engine. good luck.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Maybe you can ask a Service Advisor from Isuzu to accompany you in inspecting the Trooper.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Ignition> that means wala sa kanila yung key that is why they had to hotwire the rig. You need to make a key.
    The engine, meaning block and head are matibay. Turbo if abused is what you have to guard.
    Plate numbers should be complete, original and according to records
    The engine can be remanufactured to original specs, that is if it hasnt been openned/done right previosly.
    Check the interior, seats siding for major damage.
    If its cheaper than subic bighorn prices then parang ok na in my standards.
    I had the same experince of buying a repossessed na 97 trooper hindi ako nagsisi, now I have a 99 trooper. Probably the best trooper year/model that you can buy.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    4gjtootsie,

Which reminds me....aawitan ko yang trooper mo...I'm missing mine!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Ignition> that means wala sa kanila yung key that is why they had to hotwire the rig. You need to make a key.
    The engine, meaning block and head are matibay. Turbo if abused is what you have to guard.
    Plate numbers should be complete, original and according to records
    The engine can be remanufactured to original specs, that is if it hasnt been openned/done right previosly.
    Check the interior, seats siding for major damage.
    If its cheaper than subic bighorn prices then parang ok na in my standards.
    I had the same experince of buying a repossessed na 97 trooper hindi ako nagsisi, now I have a 99 trooper. Probably the best trooper year/model that you can buy.
    Any tell tale signs that the turbo is abused? I was going through the thread of the story of the "unstoppable" Paul Chua last night and reading the comments about the service advisors from Isuzu had me thinking of changing my monicker to "doubtingwil" w/ regards to their competence hehehe Overall the trooper is fine with only minor scratches/dents. I was thinking kase of submitting a bid na mag allot na lang ako ng allowance for an engine replacement (worst case scenario eto) since ang terms ng bidding is AS-IS WHERE IS BASIS. The bank doesnt want to have it repaired na kase (lazy bastards ) so gut feel bidding na ang mangyayari or do some research work just like what im doing now.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    BTW, the trooper is all stock pala. no modefications whatsoever.

Help pls on how to spot a good Isuzu trooper