New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Help please mga Trooper Guru!!

I've purchased a 99 Trooper 4x4 M/T with 4JG2 engine a few months back.
    after replacing the clutch disc,pressure plate, release bearing.front and rear shock. front brake pads
    change all fluids and filter.

The trooper runs fine. but there is only one thing that bother me, How can i made the 4X4 works????
    The unit that I got have a 4WD switch on the dashboard. There is also a small 4WD icon on the isntrument cluster that will lights up once the ignition key is in the on position and will goes out once the engine start.

When I press the 4WD switch on the dashboard in, it is suppose to allow me to switch from 2WD to 4WD when I depress the clutch and shift the 4WD shifter . but I can't.

I also have it check with an auto electrician, he established that there is power going to the actuator and VSV beside the transfer case. he had successfully reverse the suction and discharge vaccuum hose and put it into 4WD, not thru the dashboard 4WD switch but by removing the plug and short one of the terminal.and by reversing the procedure again. he was able to restore it to 2WD again without touching the 4WD switch and the shifter.

I had read some post in the UK trooper owner's club and they also encounter this problem, but most of the trooper there runs on gasoline. they had mentioned that there is a dedicated ECU behind the dashboard that control the 4WD gear shifting function for the petrol version.

I wonder if the diesel version also have a ECU that control the 4WD shifting function for the local trooper?if there is an ECU in there and it is faulty?Maybe that is the missing link that prevent the trooper from shifting properly?

Mga Trooper Guru, anyone here encounter similar problem??

Any suggestion and comment is highly appreciated!!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hellboy View Post
    Help please mga Trooper Guru!!

I also have it check with an auto electrician, he established that there is power going to the actuator and VSV beside the transfer case. he had successfully reverse the suction and discharge vaccuum hose and put it into 4WD, not thru the dashboard 4WD switch but by removing the plug and short one of the terminal.and by reversing the procedure again. he was able to restore it to 2WD again without touching the 4WD switch and the shifter.
    :
    sorry i'm not familiar with the local 4x4 set up cuz ours is a jdm. but it sounds like you have a busted actuator.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mintoy View Post
    sorry i'm not familiar with the local 4x4 set up cuz ours is a jdm. but it sounds like you have a busted actuator.

Thanks a lot Bro!!